• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
Sign in to follow this  
bonathanjarrett

Base Jump off Monkey Face

Anyone know anything about the one perhaps two people who BASE jumped off Monkey Face on Saturday? I am surprised I haven't heard anything yet on these boards. I saw only the chute open as I was hiking over the top and approaching the vantage point. The mystery jumper was gone by the time I got to a better view point.

ballsy - how much time/space do they need for the chutes to work?

Was wondering the same thing. I used to skydive decades ago (with a T10 modified), right about the time the original round ParaCommanders were going rectangular. With my old chute off Monkey Face, I would've face-planted in the tuft long before it fully deployed. :noway:

Was wondering the same thing. I used to skydive decades ago (with a T10 modified), right about the time the original round ParaCommanders were going rectangular. With my old chute off Monkey Face, I would've face-planted in the tuft long before it fully deployed. :noway:

my first thought "NO WAY it's not high enough"

matt cook and jordan?

matt is free basing???? i told him its bad for his health. thats what working for a beer company will do to you.

dinosaur-printable-invitation.jpg

the guy I climbed with last weekend has the wa state record of short jumping at 70 meters. I know that makes me pretty cool.

my first thought "NO WAY it's not high enough"

GrnDrgn:TwnCrr.jpg

:o EEEEEKKKKKKK

i think my next sport will be hang gliding not base jumping :moondance: although i suppose hang gliding turns into base jumping with out a shoot if something goes wrong...

Josh & I were right below him when his chute opened up - it was loud; we both thought it was the mother of all rock fall coming down, but then looked up and saw him sailing down, pretty cool really. Wish I'd had my camera handy.

Josh & I were right below him when his chute opened up - it was loud; we both thought it was the mother of all rock fall coming down, but then looked up and saw him sailing down, pretty cool really. Wish I'd had my camera handy.

back for another shot on the west face aid route?

yeah, we had to show the monkey who was boss. all that aid climbing this winter paid off, we pretty much cruised it this time. Going to Jugging Camp with Moof was a big help (thanks, Moof!).

Josh might have pictures (but not of the rad base jumper unfortunately).

I used to skydive decades ago (with a T10 modified), right about the time the original round ParaCommanders were going rectangular.

I thought the military was the only ones stupid enough to jump with T10s. I did a jump at 800 feet once. Just enough time for the canopy to deploy before slamming into the ground.

For some reason I recall reading or hearing that the minimum was around 400 feet for a good deployment. But I know nothing about jumping off of a perfectly good piece of rock.

I would've face-planted in the tuft
Sounds like my kind of sport Edited by archenemy

I was near the top of the first pitch on WF so proably close to 40 meters up. I'd guess he got canopy ~30 meters above me... sailed by and said hello, then drifted around the corner.

I have lots of pictures of Dan on the first pitch of the bolt ladder and the summit pitch coming out of the cave. I'll try and get them edited and posted this week.

Thanks for the fun climb Dan!

I wanna see someone land a squirrel suit.

You saw that Colbert report also?

something like:

"So you wanna land after jumping out of a plane without a shoot?...uhh...I got news for you...you will! I guarantee it!"

No, missed that one. I've heard rumours of people thinking about it though. Would probably require a special squirrel suit but I bet it's doable.

"...uhm...I guarantee you, you will eventually land on the ground without deploying a parachute...

...oh, doing it twice, that is the trick..."