Missing on Hood

ZimZam

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn I was just up there on sunday. Stopped at the hogs back. I would not have climbed any higher. The whole crater needs to slide. Pearly gates are not really gates anymore, just a short ice section. Just like last year old shute is the way to go but that is so Avi savi right now. Hope they are all ok.

From Couloir's Oregonian link:

Search and rescue authorities say a pair of climbers who failed to descend Mount Hood as planned Monday have made cell phone contact with the girlfriend of one of the climbers.

The men made the call within the last hour. The pair said they are at about 4,000 feet. Jeff Sheetz, Portland Mountain Rescue, said the two climbers told the girlfriend they are moving through the trees. They are not sure where they are but think they're in Zigzag Canyon or one of the smaller canyons off there. Four teams of searchers - about 20 people in all - are heading up in vehicles, then will head in on trailheads.

If we as a climbing community are going to continue to preach “personal responsibility” rather than have the flatlanders impose further rules upon us (MLU’s), than I think we need to actually take the personal responsibility. From the articles, these guys were a few hours late and a girlfriend was already calling in rescue. Most of us go out prepared to cave up for a couple days if the emergency requires, and I personally do not want rescue called until I am “huge” late returning (defined by the climb I am on). If I am going to set in motion a rescue because I am a couple hours late, then I think the government is within it’s rights to impose further restrictions upon how I operate.

Taking “personal responsibility” actually means taking “personal responsibility.” It means leaving information with someone indicating to not call in rescue for a couple days, as I may cave up if the weather turns; it means that I need to be ready to take care of myself so that SAR does not have to come look for my cave or check to see if I am alright.

I am not blasting the two lost on Hood, as it sounds like they took good care of themselves. Merely indicating that ... blah blah blah

Merely my two cents.

If we as a climbing community are going to continue to preach personal responsibility rather than have the flatlanders impose further rules upon us (MLUs), than I think we need to actually take the personal responsibility. From the articles, these guys were a few hours late and a girlfriend was already calling in rescue. Most of us go out prepared to cave up for a couple days if the emergency requires, and I personally do not want rescue called until I am huge late returning (defined by the climb I am on). If I am going to set in motion a rescue because I am a couple hours late, then I think the government is within its rights to impose further restrictions upon how I operate.

Taking personal responsibility actually means taking personal responsibility. It means leaving information with someone indicating to not call in rescue for a couple days, as I may cave up if the weather turns; it means that I need to be ready to take care of myself so that SAR does not have to come look for my cave or check to see if I am alright.

I am not blasting the two lost on Hood, as it sounds like they took good care of themselves. Merely indicating that ... blah blah blah

Merely my two cents.

if the survial of my hobby is predicated on the mental stablity of my wife when plans get wierd, i am hopelessly fawked

If we as a climbing community are going to continue to preach “personal responsibility” rather than have the flatlanders impose further rules upon us (MLU’s), than I think we need to actually take the personal responsibility. From the articles, these guys were a few hours late and a girlfriend was already calling in rescue. Most of us go out prepared to cave up for a couple days if the emergency requires, and I personally do not want rescue called until I am “huge” late returning (defined by the climb I am on). If I am going to set in motion a rescue because I am a couple hours late, then I think the government is within it’s rights to impose further restrictions upon how I operate.

Taking “personal responsibility” actually means taking “personal responsibility.” It means leaving information with someone indicating to not call in rescue for a couple days, as I may cave up if the weather turns; it means that I need to be ready to take care of myself so that SAR does not have to come look for my cave or check to see if I am alright.

Merely my two cents.

Perhaps S&R should ignore all calls from wives/girlfriends/etc. until a party is overdue by 24 hours. That would work just fine.

And when you (self-)register that information/warning could be clearly posted.