Trip Report Mt. Garfield - Infinite Bliss 7/8/2007

kevbone

Just a quick note on this route.

Positive side:

First off, there are several really good pitches in the route that make this a worth while outing.

The negatives:

The route is safely bolted except for a few runout pitches (which although dangerous, are not that bad because they are 5.1). However, pitches 16 and 17 are just retarded. I did the route last weekend and nearly got killed by a rock. After raping to the ledge, I sat in the most secure spot I could find (no way to secure myself) and proceeded to pull the ropes. At some point a large rock came off and came about 10 feet from hitting me in the head and taking me off the lower 16 pitches. After that, I still had the ~100 feet of soloing back to the anchors over loose terrain. I am not a fan of over bolting, but this is dumb as hell. I would never do the route again without rebolting that section. Even if you are a skilled climber, you can still die on this route due to the poor choices of the first accentionist.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben and I reached the top of the first crux pitch only to have Ben say "shhh....what is that? Do you hear that? We looked up to see fist size rocks and many smaller ones come whipping by us like bullets. We leaned in to the wall and prayed we would not get hit. There was two different showers of these in like 8 or 9 minutes......like a bowling alley.

I don't feel the lower sections are grid bolted. Most are near a full rope length. What do you think?

1st 5.6 w/2 bolts

2nd 5.6 w/5 bolts

3rd 5.6 w/2 bolts

4th 5.8 w/9 bolts

5th 5.7 w/9 bolts

6th 5.8 w/5 bolts

7th 5.7 w/7 bolts

8th 5.6 w/3 bolts

9th 5.9 w/10 bolts

10th 5.7 w/7 bolts

11th 10b w/9 bolts

12th 5.7 w/6 bolts

13th 5.1 w/1 bolt

14th 5.8 w/8 bolts

15th 5.0 w/2 bolts

Unless some have been added in the last couple of years.

For those who thought it was a worthwhile route, it sounds like it might be best to turn around after pitch 15 to avoid choss and anchorless rappelling. Is that about right?

I'd agree, that's about where I turned around on it last year. It also helped that it was about 85 in full sun and I was feeling a little sketched on the choss. Not so much going up but I was thinking of the descent, that got me.

Plus, factor in the time for rapping down...especially down the low angle friction slab.....

Edited by octopuswithafez

I do not agree. I think the next crux pitch, it may be pitch 18, with the 10b, is really good. It has fun moves, nice and steep, and is bolted just right. It doesn't have any loose rock, as I recall. So why go all the way up there and miss that?

Actually I think the only worth while climbing on the whole thing is pitch 18 and up.

Although I'd disagree with otto on pitch 18 being bolted just right??? It is so annoyingly over bolted with 17 bolts you could do the whole pitch with two draws by leap frogging them as you climbed up. I don't see how a bolt every 3-4ft is just right especially on such easy ground.

1-15 are mind numbingly boring and can be simuled in about an hour. Its just the same repetitive move over and over on low angle rock.

16/17 is just unprotected Choss that I feel goes anywhere from 4th class to 5.9 depending on where you happen to wander around trying to find the anchors about 280ft up. Can you say "Retarded".

Edited by tradclimbguy

I think a guy I know at vertical world climbed it in under 60 minutes?

-------------------------------

Infinite Bliss has got to be the most controversial route in WA history?

Even more than all the bolted on river rock hold routes at fossil rock placed in the eighties.

So, if I hear you right, this 'classic' is basically a choss walkup with one or two acceptably decent pitches on it, is a loose rock chute, and the descent sucks. Kudos for you and Ben for going up and doing it, but unless I'm missing something I've yet to hear (in this or any IB TR) anything that sounds particularly classic about it...

So, if I hear you right, this 'classic' is basically a choss walkup with one or two acceptably decent pitches on it, is a loose rock chute, and the descent sucks. Kudos for you and Ben for going up and doing it, but unless I'm missing something I've yet to hear (in this or any IB TR) anything that sounds particularly classic about it...

JH....I would say there are 3 or 4 chossy pitches.....the rest are solid as granite can be. And yes....it needs a walk off.

Beacon Ben at my house getting ready to take off.....

IMG_1023.JPG

Racking in the "pull out".....

IMG_1026.JPG

Ben about 100 feet up on pitch 1.....

IMG_1029.JPG

Ben, starting one of the best pitches on the route....the crazy stairway pitch....

IMG_1031.JPG

Ben about to belay me up the first crux....

IMG_1034.JPG

Sea of granite 2000 feet up.....

IMG_10351.JPG

Ben's great smile on a great ledge......

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

On the rapell......

IMG_10401.JPG

One last look.

IMG_1041.JPG

Obviously JOE hear's what he wants to hear :rolleyes: whats the dif, Garfield or the slabs up north?

Great trip report and pic's Kev :tup:

If someone wanted to do something positive like cleaning or some anchors it would be out of the norm of endless smack spray'n and would be way cool :tup: :tup:

Anyone know how to get in touch with the FA?

Thx

Why? Do you want to tell em off? Or shake his hand?

Good call 512. I was thinking this too, ask permission to toss in at least a single bolt, maybe 2, in the blank section so that a party descending in the rain doesn't die.

PM sent