[TR] Icicle Creek - Pearly Gates and Careno Crags

olyclimber

Trip: Icicle Creek - Pearly Gates and Careno Crags -

Date: 6/17/2007

Trip Report:

Jeff, Kat, Ulee and I went up to Leavenworth (like a lot of you seemed have also done) this past weekend. It was a rehab trip for me and Kat, and we both did pretty well. My arm swelled up after the first day, but everything went pretty well otherwise. But! As it was Fathers day I'm proud to say that Ulee cranked! I was pretty amazed at how psyched he was to get out and climb. At Pearly Gates he did laps on Cloud Nine. He also cleaned his first piece of gear there.

On the second day we went up to Careno. There on Poison Ivy Crack he cleaned the whole pitch and even brought up a piece of gear to plug in himself. He was a bit pissed that he had to clean it to after placing it and clipping it, but such is the life when you place gear on top rope.

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

Ulee placing his first piece of gear (a #1 Camalot). Don't drop it!

IMG_2343.jpg

Right after this picture he started shrieking and bawling and kicking the rock. We asked him if he wanted down, but "NO...I WANT TO GO UP!!!". It was a little blank for a little guy (thus the frustration) so we yarded him up to where he could get better holds and continue on. He cleaned the whole pitch.

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2357.jpg

The last climb of the day he didn't quite finish as the partying till late into the night two days in a row were getting him a little cranky and when he removed one of the pieces of gear the rope shifted and spooked him. The rule is if he isn't having fun then he isn't up there climbing, so we lowered him down. He really made a lot of progress though!

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

It was great hanging with Jeff and Kat (and Ulee of course), and it was great to be back out climbing :rawk: I'm pretty excited that Ulee likes climbing so much too.

Gear Notes:

Golden Showers

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, giving a 5 year old a Camelback for the first time will ensure that he will piss himself repeatedly. He continuely drank water and urinated the whole first day, non-stop flowing both in and out. He was very hydrated.

:grlaf: so true. but at least you don't hear any whining about being thirsty

Ullinator does not whine. He just does what needs to be done. And, he "climbed his nuts off" and peed on my head.

Maybe the Ullinator should be called the Urinator. Joking aside though, that is so awesome. I cannot wait for Simone to grow some more so I can get her on the rock. Actually at this point I need to get working and build her a mini wall now that she is standing. Last night we had bouldering night and brought out the blanket so she could watch and see what "normal" people do with their free time.

awesome!! I would love to get my son on the rock!! He is only 3.5 yrs. I have some waiting to do I guess :rolleyes: . Great report! Thanks

While I'd say just trust your own judgment about taking your tot out climbing, I will tell you that I had Ulee climbing outside younger than 3 1/2 years old. I just took him to places that were well used (minimum of rock fall) and set him up on a toprope. Before that I made sure he knew how to properly be lowered (pushing off with his legs, etc). He was also in the gym (both the one at home and at Stone Gardens)quite a bit. He has used the same full body harness shown in the pics and I got him the helmet before we went outside to climb of course.