Difficult Non-climbing Maneuvers in the Alpine?

EWolfe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's say your in Canada in the winter staying in those nice comfy huts but the slosh bucket is full and someone put the tall barrel on the short barrel spot and it's stuck and you get the shortest straw and then as your moving the barrel of shit and piss it sloshes over the brim and soaks your outerlayer with excrement...now you have to ski with a shit stained outer layer for the next weak...it's not that bad because most of the time you won't be seeing anything beyond your hand and the wind will pretty much send the smell far far away but still isn't there a better way.

Smoking out in the muir hut

remembering your tough because "tents are for wussys"

free soloing the "easy traverse" in approach shoes with your pack on

almost slipping off the slesse slabs with your pack and the rope

finding the "obvious" descent gulley

using the Beckey guide as a marker for your approach and descent times

how about meeting some folks on Big Beaver who claim to have marked the crossing to "access creek", so you motor on up to their cairn, cross Big Beaver, spend a long day ascending the obvious creek valley, only to find out, when you top out, that the creek you're up may sport a very familiar colloqial name, but it ain't "access"...

how about meeting some folks on Big Beaver who claim to have marked the crossing to "access creek", so you motor on up to their cairn, cross Big Beaver, spend a long day ascending the obvious creek valley, only to find out, when you top out, that the creek you're up may sport a very familiar colloqial name, but it ain't "access"...

I would probably shoot myself.

--Putting up with partners "peculiarities" for many days in a row

--Bathing in a freezing creek

--Not being able to carry enough beer for multi-day endeavors

--Glissade without ice-axe

--Dodging rockfall when pulling ropes

Accidently ingesting DEET and puking all night.

Telling your partner at base camp that you left the food bag on your kitchen counter.

Hearing your binding crack on the first day of skiing the Bailey Range traverse.

Arriving out at the trailhead at the end of a long trip and being notified that you have to hike back up to assist with a rescue ...when you thought the next order of business was going to involve a stop at Good Food.

Arriving at base camp to find a Mountaineers Basic Climb group already set up.

Dealing with a swollen and nearly unrecognizeable partner with a peanut allergy when he decides to try one of your cookies anyway.

Trying to get your lead head screwed back on level after talking about "relationship issues" with with your SO/climbing partner on the approach.

Trying to keep your eyes off the cute French girls climbing the next route to you when climbing with your SO.

Dealing with a parter who has irritating and not so latent OCD tendencies a few days into a trip. (on the flip side, it's a lot of fun to mess with them by moving things out of perfect alignment, clipping their gear back on the rack in the "wrong" way, and leaving little crumbs and bits of crud in the tent.)

Dealing with a partner poking you incessantly, telling you you're snoring, when you're really just trying to get a good night's sleep.

Having two other tent mates fight over getting the one pair of earplugs you brought along to help them cope with your snoring.

Trying to keep your eyes off the cute French girls climbing the next route to you when climbing with your SO.

See for me I think the difficult maneuver would be, trying to keep my eyes on the cute French girls climbing the next route over without my SO noticing.