Stolen gear recovered...file that police report!

tvashtarkatena

Don't know if this is the right forum but it's important for all climbers who have had (like me) or might have their gear stolen.

I stopped by a yard sale today to look at a gas BBQ and noticed that they were also selling a duffel full of climbing gear, including new ice screws, rock shoes, a water filter, etc etc, all for $10. WTF? Then I noticed it had a luggage tag on it.

I bought it and called 911. The cops took a report. I then googled the original owner, called him, and got him his gear back. Turns out that his house had been broken into a month ago and he'd lost many thousands of dollars worth of stuff. He was so shaken and pissed off from the experience that he was strongly considering moving. Fortunately, he'd also filed a police report.

The cops called back and said they questioned the seller, who claimed that his mother had died and he was just selling off her (climbing?) stuff. Riiiiiight. It also turns out that he has a rap sheet a mile long.

Lesson for victims: File that police report! Also, mark those duffel bags or include ID inside the duffel bag so you can be contacted. Even just your name and a city or email is usually enough nowadays.

Lesson for shitbags: Remove the name tags, you dumbshit methhead.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I supposed to pat you on the back? Ok....good job!

sometimes I wonder if people talk just to hear themselves cause otherwise what you have to say is pointless

thats kick ass T, ten bucks and the id tag of the original owner but yet its his moms...holy f*** thats crazy

Don't know if this is the right forum but it's important for all climbers who have had (like me) or might have their gear stolen.

I stopped by a yard sale today to look at a gas BBQ and noticed that they were also selling a duffel full of climbing gear, including new ice screws, rock shoes, a water filter, etc etc, all for $10. WTF? Then I noticed it had a luggage tag on it.

I bought it and called 911. The cops took a report. I then googled the original owner, called him, and got him his gear back. Turns out that his house had been broken into a month ago and he'd lost many thousands of dollars worth of stuff. He was so shaken and pissed off from the experience that he was strongly considering moving. Fortunately, he'd also filed a police report.

The cops called back and said they questioned the seller, who claimed that his mother had died and he was just selling off her (climbing?) stuff. Riiiiiight. It also turns out that he has a rap sheet a mile long.

Lesson for victims: File that police report! Also, mark those duffel bags or include ID inside the duffel bag so you can be contacted. Even just your name and a city or email is usually enough nowadays.

Lesson for shitbags: Remove the name tags, you dumbshit methhead.

:tup: :tup:

Was the guy arrested? Will he be charged?

It's up to the cops at this point. Shitbag's got a record, so perhaps they'll use this to put him away for a while. Or, they might find a houseful of identifiable stolen goods and put him away for longer. Don't know. I'll keep you posted as to what happens, but it could be awhile before anything happens. In any case, I've agreed to be a witness, of course.

Or one of us could drive 950 miles non-stop in a diaper and take him for a ride.