Dry tooling is contrived!

kevbone

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually kevbone, I have found drytooling to not only increase my strength for ice climbing, but rock climbing as well. It also requires a bit of creative and quiet movement that I have been able to carry onto the rock.

When its warmer, you can borrow tools from someone and climb in your rock shoes. It wouldnt cost you a thing.

actually kevbone, I have found drytooling to not only increase my strength for ice climbing, but rock climbing as well. It also requires a bit of creative and quiet movement that I have been able to carry onto the rock.

When its warmer, you can borrow tools from someone and climb in your rock shoes. It wouldnt cost you a thing.

I will probably never ice climb either. I would rather rock climb. Too each his own

Sounds like you should get out and try some drytoolin, kevbone!

I will never dry tool... to expensive and I really dont see the point! I would rather rock climb....and if its raining I would rather climb indoors.

name one thing we humanoids do for sport that ISN'T contrived.

Masterbating?

Ha ha great morning wake up laughing thread. I can't believe I don't have to pay for this stuff.

Anywho, Kev, you might check the "Alpine Anomyous" thread and show up sometime to try it, then you can say "well that sucked", or "Awesome". These dudes get an hour of pump in after work no matter how cold, dark or wet it is. It's definatly more manly than I can handle, but I respect em the more for it.

Then when they do get on real ice, the cramping happens later:-)

link

Johns thread.

Troys thread

Troy started it back up lst month, you can look for his thread too.

Edited to change the name Josh to Troy. I'm such a dumbasss sometimes.

Ha ha great morning wake up laughing thread. I can't believe I don't have to pay for this stuff.

Anywho, Kev, you might check the "Alpine Anomyous" thread and show up sometime to try it, then you can say "well that sucked", or "Awesome". These dudes get an hour of pump in after work no matter how cold, dark or wet it is. It's definatly more manly than I can handle, but I respect em the more for it.

Then when they do get on real ice, the cramping happens later:-)

link

Johns thread.

Josh started it back up lst month, you can look for his thread too.

Thanks Bill…..I guess what I was getting at was with the comment in the Rock n Ice article was the climber has to get longer axes to do the move, what is the difference between that and using a scaffold to do the move. Other than the fact that with the scaffold it’s probably at little easier. Either way, both are contrived version of climbing. It appears you are not climbing rock, but instead climbing axes and leashes. If you get LONGER ice axes, you are dumbing down the climb to be at your level. I see this as the same as chipping holds. And we all know this is not accepted in the sport. Which leads me to the next question.

How much does dry tooling scar the rock?

Edited by kevbone

Depends on what kind of rock. I dont know about out there, but its common ethic not to dry tool on established rock climbs. And when possible, climb in rockshoes to minimize any scarring.

And kev, you responded to my post earlier saying you didnt ice climb/or want to, so dt'ing wouldnt be helpful to you. note, I said it was extremely beneficial for my ROCK climbing skills as well.

I havent seen the article you are talking about, so I cant comment on it. As far as I know almost all tools are about the same in length, just different shapes (unless its a mountaineering axe).

I know a lot of people who have no interest in dt'ing. Thats kewl! It can be a pretty sketchy form of climbing. I personally love the movement and mindset I have to put myself in when I do it.

Depends on what kind of rock. I dont know about out there, but its common ethic not to dry tool on established rock climbs. And when possible, climb in rockshoes to minimize any scarring.

Is it possible that someone down the road would want to establish a climb on the now scarred rock? Just asking!

Possible, sure.

Again, I dont know about the ethics out there.

Dt routes tend to be routes that will likely never be possible to climb as a rock route due to lack of features, type of rock, or amount of precip it gets.

Dt'ing isnt necessarily something one does on a daily basis- that would be pure torture and cause insanity (if it isnt already an issue)! Its a training tool for mixed climbing/ice climbing/and the mountains. There is definately less traffic seen on dt routes.

Is it possible that someone down the road would want to establish a climb on the now scarred rock? Just asking!

Agree with Carolyn above.

At Rocky (whre the pdx alpine anonomys group therapy seesion meets) the DT pretty much stays left of Silver Bullet with an occasional mistep here or there.

Yes it starts to scar the rock, but if its a quarry, and if they want to pull loose flakes off with picks:-), well, wear a helmet and accept my thanks! :lmao:

Course if it's a man made area, like a bridge: it's another chocolate cupcake then.

BTW, we use to nail (pitons) a bridge back in the day. That was aid, and some overdriving did occur, with the resultant pinscars. I'm not making any judgements, but I wasn't the one overdriving:-)

But I do know what you are talking about, but it hasn't been an issue anywhere around here ....yet. Course, times change so well see, maybe some folks will transfer DT to sacred lands (Beacon).

Folks get to get some good practice.

This is a pretty stupid question.

You're asking folks to predict the future with certaintly.

Is it possible? Of course it's *possible*.