new tools..

NYC007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see.

I was pretty surprised by how small they were before, cause I'd always thought I had small fingers...

I would also note that it looks like they're removable now.

Is the trigger movable?

John, are those production or more prototypes?

• 4 weeks later...
i can't stop looking at those pictures. anyone who was at the show care to comment on the grip design? big hands. little hands. same as previous versions, different?

I wear large cloudveil drytooling gloves and I couldn't get my pinky onto the tool. Literally. If the new cobra's grip is as tight as the prototype they were showing at the show, and you have large hands, forget about it. Same with the vipers. None of the guys who wandered over to the booth with me could fit their fingers in the pinky grip either, one fat fingered desert rat couldn't even get his hand on without gloves!

BD has enlarged the fang so that all you sausage finger kids can get your mitts on them.

Anybody shopping for a pair of quarks or nomics? :laf:

Will be by the time next Winter rolls around. Somthing tells me that they may be gone by that time though...

Will be by the time next Winter rolls around. Somthing tells me that they may be gone by that time though...

it seems like there are a few of good deals in tools these days. a pair of quarks for $275 in the garage sale. some below cost BD tools at REI.

they will be better.

Because you've climbed a load of pitches with them or because you believe the hype?

I would have to say the latter...

But seriously, ok, (having not climbed them), I would say both tools will be heavier than either of the P-C tools mentioned. No one can tell (without climbing them anyway) whether they will perform as awesomely as quarks, but I have high hopes, based on experience with other bd tools. And, yeah [the hype] on the surface, anyway, they look more in line with what I would want and I really like bd head and pick designs and i like that you can clip an umbilical right into the spike, even with the fang/horn/thing.

besides if colin has been using them (???) they must be good right?

The new cobra will weigh less than the current quark.

Ice tools explained:

A great way to predict how well an ice tool will match one's natural swing dynamic is the pick angle.

The greater the pick angle the better a particular tool will hook edges (i.e. dry tool) especially in overhanging terrain but as the angle increases the tool will depart from ones natural swing dynamic. This will result in people sitting around bitching about it on the internet and/or they must learn how to modify their swing dynamic.

The less/lower the pick angle the better the tool will match one's natural swing dynamic but will result in it being more difficult to hook (i.e. drytool) edges especially as in overhanging terrain.

A great example of pick angle is the quark has a ~29.5 degree pick angle, the nomic has a ~31 degree where as the BD fusion has a ~32 degree pick angle.

The fusion is the best mixed tool; the quark is a great pure ice tool and the nomic can do each fairly well but isn't the best at either one.

Starting to make sense?

And since you are wondering the new cobra will check in around 30.5 degrees pick angle.

And keep in mind: when someone says "that tool's swing sucks" what they are really saying is "I haven't climbed enough ice to know how to modify my swing to get it to climb better". Go back and look what tools Lowe used on the first ascent of bridal veil Falls (CO) and then reconsider bitching about how a tool swings.

Make due with what you got. Spray less. Climb more.

• 1 month later...

I used the new prototype Vipers in Alaska this season.

I like the head weight distribution and swing of the new Viper better than the old Viper. The new integrated fang is nice since there is a hole in the spike for clipping in spring leashes on alpine routes. The 'strike' is bigger than the old clamp-on one and therefore much more useful. In short, I think these tools are GREAT and I recommend them highly.

how would you compare the new vipers to the grivel light wings? I am in the market for new tools, and the light wings fit my hands really well... and seem to swing well. I have heard nothing but good things about their picks.

Should I hold out for the new vipers?

so will pricing be similar for new and old?

Very similar to old... give me a day or two and I can get the exact price...

I'll look into the spring thing Kurt... regardless of whoever makes the one you go with make sure you put a swivel on the thing. I believe ocean marina in SEA stocks them...

Cobra: 299

Viper: 229

No plans for spring thing yet so I'd plan on making one for this winter. Grivel sells the mini biners separately... go that route + a swivel and some super tape (1/2" super light tubular) and shock cord and follow the directions on alpinedave.com (though some of you might be hard pressed to find a cute girl to help you :laf::grlaf:;) )