[TR] Snow Creek Wall - White Slabs Ice 1/14/2007

DirtyHarry

Trip: Snow Creek Wall - White Slabs Ice

Date: 1/14/2007

Trip Report:

This should maybe have been posted in Alpine Lakes Forum, but ...

Dan Cappelini and I (Peter Hirst) climbed the right of two nice looking smears on Snow Creek Wall Saturday. The left smear approximately takes the Northern Dihedral Route, and the smear we climbed, the White Slabs or White Slabs Direct line.

Snow_Creek_Ice.JPG

Apparently, Rolf and Dan had climbed an ice line near this one a few years back.

I found thin ice on the first pitch, but the climbing was not too hard. I spotted a good crack to belay from so I stopped short at about 40 meters to belay Dan up.

First_Pitch.JPG

Dan's pitch was the crux - delicate, precarious, and not really any pro.

Snow_Creek_Thin_Ice.JPG

Snow_Creek_Sun.JPG

Dan climbed past a pin, then decided to downclimb and set up a belay, making for another short pitch.

belay.JPG

After making sure there was atleast one bomber pin in the belay I started the next pitch by traversing right to some thicker looking ice and up where I found some decent screws and great climbing. Sixty meters later I was at a sweet belay cave.

Snow_Creek_Belay_Cave.JPG

Dan's next pitch was an absolute gem, with a cool rock dihedral on the left and steep and mostly good ice to climb. This pic doesn't do the pitch justice, but it was one of the best ice pitches I've climbed.

Snow_Creek_Pitch_4.JPG

The next pitch involved some sketchy steep traversing with tied off icicles for pro to get to a wallowing gulley where I belayed. Dan then led up what we thought would be a class 3 gulley, but Dan had to pull through a very akward 5.9ish snow filled chimney with no ice or pro to top out. I fell out of it following.

Well, we topped out in the dark, but the descent was pretty straight forward and probably easier than in the summer. Six pitches, 2 short ones, 4 long ones. Good times.

Gear Notes:

Blades, Arrows, Screws, Cams.

Approach Notes:

Trail is a highway

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

white slabs direct is 5.9+r. i have done it in summer. probably in modern terms, which people have passively grown accustomed to over recent years, 5.10r. plastered whith thin frozen debris it felt about the same as when i climbed it high and dry, in a sportshirt. with the added fear associated with body weight tool placements instead of c4 rubber and a sportshirt. lastly: not as difficult as when rolf guided it last time. that said translate as you see fit.

I can TOTALLY hear Cappelini bein all like, "DAMN! I like that gorts and gaiters look....NOT!"

so whats wrong with my gaiters?

i was watching you wondering if you understood the gravity of the situation peter and i had gotten ourselves into: "they must me saying wow those guys are really slow, that dude is still standing that spot wetting himself

Cool Deal Brother Dan. The kids are ready. Lots of luv from Ohio.

Trip: Snow Creek Wall - White Slabs Ice

Date: 1/14/2007

Trip Report:

This should maybe have been posted in Alpine Lakes Forum, but ...

Dan Cappelini and I (Peter Hirst) climbed the right of two nice looking smears on Snow Creek Wall Saturday. The left smear approximately takes the Northern Dihedral Route, and the smear we climbed, the White Slabs or White Slabs Direct line.

Snow_Creek_Ice.JPG

Apparently, Rolf and Dan had climbed an ice line near this one a few years back.

I found thin ice on the first pitch, but the climbing was not too hard. I spotted a good crack to belay from so I stopped short at about 40 meters to belay Dan up.

First_Pitch.JPG

Dan's pitch was the crux - delicate, precarious, and not really any pro.

Snow_Creek_Thin_Ice.JPG

Snow_Creek_Sun.JPG

Dan climbed past a pin, then decided to downclimb and set up a belay, making for another short pitch.

belay.JPG

After making sure there was atleast one bomber pin in the belay I started the next pitch by traversing right to some thicker looking ice and up where I found some decent screws and great climbing. Sixty meters later I was at a sweet belay cave.

Snow_Creek_Belay_Cave.JPG

Dan's next pitch was an absolute gem, with a cool rock dihedral on the left and steep and mostly good ice to climb. This pic doesn't do the pitch justice, but it was one of the best ice pitches I've climbed.

Snow_Creek_Pitch_4.JPG

The next pitch involved some sketchy steep traversing with tied off icicles for pro to get to a wallowing gulley where I belayed. Dan then led up what we thought would be a class 3 gulley, but Dan had to pull through a very akward 5.9ish snow filled chimney with no ice or pro to top out. I fell out of it following.

Well, we topped out in the dark, but the descent was pretty straight forward and probably easier than in the summer. Six pitches, 2 short ones, 4 long ones. Good times.

Gear Notes:

Blades, Arrows, Screws, Cams.

Approach Notes:

Trail is a highway

Nice job guys - bigger huevos than I. The Monday party consisted of two representatives of the Old Funhogs Alpine Recreation Troupe - myself and the the ancient jedice master M2D2. After completing the first pitch (average ice thickness a weak 2") on a couple of tied-off stubbies and a partially driven z-peg, we whipped out the wienie-webbing and rapped from the first belay I could build. Old guys like us no longer bounce when we fall - we shatter. After bailing, however, we traversed around to Pearly Gates, where we found a delightful shield of WI3 thick enough to take screws. I'd put a photo here if I could figure out how... Another grandpa-type (John Tarver), soloed the Pearly Gates shield on Tuesday, I'm told.

by the way, we found a red-and-white quickdraw with two carabiners at the base of the white slabs smear. I presume you guys must have dropped or lost it?

i am not as young as you may think, an i am still sore on wednesday....

the quickdraw, yes i saw it inadvertantly tumble by while i was belaying...i consider any lapse in style which leads to loss of equipment to be just that: a loss. therefore if you wish to retain it as booty, its obviously yours by my ethos...but, if youd like to give it back, i'll buy you a beer or an organic fruitjuice depending on your lifestyle...my number is in the book, cashmere.