Another Mt Hood Stupid Comment

Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The board is what it is, but I don't see why you or anyone else have to "capitalize" on the sensational nature of this week's events to show what a jerk you are, while complaining that the press are profiteering hyena's, or that uninformed speculation from non-climbers is totally out of line, or whatever. By any standard, DeChristo, your post here is out of line.

I am not above the law

I know- that's what I said. You're not.

Critical remarks about the US Military by those that don't know anything about the US Military makes the poster and their comments fair game.

I know plenty about the military:

t06413ffm5j.jpg

I lived it...I bleed red white and blue. I've spent much of my life On Deadly Ground. skull

Decristo you dumb ignorant fucking toothless jackass, do you think for one min I do not believe that you and that Steven Segal fucker are not gay butt-buddie banging roomates. Goddamit I'm gonna come over there, kick the shit out of ya, then take the bloody stool on the floor and stuff it up yer nose, I'M CALLING FOR RESTRAINT HERE GODDAMIT, RESTRAINT

Whoa dude, lighten up.

The board is what it is, but I don't see why you or anyone else have to "capitalize" on the sensational nature of this week's events to show what a jerk you are, while complaining that the press are profiteering hyena's, or that uninformed speculation from non-climbers is totally out of line, or whatever. By any standard, DeChristo, your post here is out of line.

As far as I recall, outside of the Spray Forum, I have shown nothing but ernest regard for the gravity of the Mt. Hood situation and its intimate participants. I answered questions about mountaineering/alpinism techniques directly and without superfluous levity. I took those to task that I believed disrepected the stranded, their loved ones, and the SAR personnel.

Soon, the inundation of stupid comments from the hordes of lookey-Lou's took it's toll and I stayed away from that thread until this morning - some forty pages later. I made the mistake of reading thirty pages in one sitting. The post of mine that offends you is in response to how I felt after that disservice to myself.

I'll allow that your righteous indignation is part of your weariness from this past week.

Personally, I find my post to be creative writing and I used restraint to not be more illustrative; I allow I'm not near as squeamish as most and clearly less encumbered by puritanical proprieity as you.

There's a sign at the entrance to this forum:

"Spray -

If it's not climbing related this is where you post it. Be warned this forum is not for the thin skinned."

Even if the families, friends, or relatives never see the thread, which is unlikely, and we remove their sensitivites from the equation entirely for a moment, I really don't see the advantage in maintaining a thread thats evolved into a free-for-all where people to try find new and creative ways to mock the response to these guys' deaths.

Theres a time and a place for gallows humor, but it's not just a few days after their fate has become certain, and it's not in a venue that's likely to be scanned by friends and loved ones trying to sort through their grief. I think that the emotions are going to be raw enough at this point that the distinction between making light of the tragedy itself, exasperation that's morphed into ironic insider chatter is not going to be entirely clear to anyone whose feelings and sensitivities we ought to be concerned with respecting. Even if they never see this stuff, I can't see how engaging in this sort of thing does anything but diminish the participants.

How about confining this to e-mails, PM's, or the local barstool for a month or two?

I know we "allow" the irreverent on cc.com, but you guys know there are a bunch of friends, family, rescue people, and press reading this stuff. You have shown some restraint over the past few days, but do you really now have to compete to see who can be the most obnoxious and crude? I wish you could find other ways to entertain yourself.

I have done many approach days by starting out with a serious hangover. I tell myself that since I'll never see the Himalaya that this is what the altitude would feel like.

hey,matt...even the dead and missing had a sense of humor here on cc.com. life goes on and nobody here is disrespecting the climbers or their families. I think most regulars here have gone to great lengths to defend the climber's memories from the utterly stupid shit getting posted on that thread too.

Edited by griz

Folks,

It is time to start accepting the inevitable outcome of this tragedy, stop asking questions, and hope that some day the remains of these two fine climbers be found on the icy slopes of Hood.

Soon enough the Sherrif will change the title of the mission from rescue to recovery. The sooner the better I think.

May baby Jesus be with you.

Way to break it to 'em!

I really don't see the advantage in maintaining a thread thats evolved into a free-for-all where people to try find new and creative ways to mock the response to these guys' deaths.

That's nowhere near my source of inspiration as i've explained, but as you've explained, the folks I'm concerned about may not be in shape to differentiate.

And one thread? Have you looked around here?

Dr. CC Frankenstein is in horror of his own creature.

Only speaking for myself, I've found Decristos posts amazingly creative and interesting, (with an exception or 2), keep it coming Decristo.

BTW MattP, all of us feel horrible and bad about the events on the Mt. Some of the posters are up there helping.

I want to state it openly and right now, like Ivan said: when I'm toes up, and it comes soon enough for us all, you pricks better be drinking and telling interesting stories about me. I'm fine with the tears, but there better be some tears of joy too or I'm sending that Seagal poster down (OK, or up here, in his case) to kick some ass. It's not about those 2 left on the Mt, I'm not telling the relatives how to handle that kind of pain, it's about ME.

Life is an eyeblink for us all.

Only speaking for myself, I've found Decristos posts amazingly creative and interesting, (with an exception or 2), keep it coming Decristo.

BTW MattP, all of us feel horrible and bad about the events on the Mt. Some of the posters are up there helping.

I want to state it openly and right now, like Ivan said: when I'm toes up, and it comes soon enough for us all, you pricks better be drinking and telling interesting stories about me. I'm fine with the tears, but there better be some tears of joy too or I'm sending that Seagal poster down (OK, or up here, in his case) to kick some ass. It's not about those 2 left on the Mt, I'm not telling the relatives how to handle that kind of pain, it's about ME.

Life is an eyeblink for us all.

I like your pic choice for your signature. Is that you? Are you holding onto a runner with your left hand, the rope with your right hand, wearing socks under your climbing shoes all while on TR? Right on sporto!!!

Life is a browneyeblink

Even if the families, friends, or relatives never see the thread, which is unlikely, and we remove their sensitivites from the equation entirely for a moment, I really don't see the advantage in maintaining a thread thats evolved into a free-for-all where people to try find new and creative ways to mock the response to these guys' deaths.

Some families might take comfort in others disgust for the vultures.

Well yes I do. I was originally responding to remarks about climbing the mountain anyway, regardless of what SAR was doing, and of course petty remarks about the US Military need to fired upon. Climbing is great, but it's risks must be managed. Many climbers see the whole thing as a suicide pact: do what they want when they want regardless of weather, SAR needs or other considerations.