Mt Hood rescue, why not go up already?

jonmf76

W,

Thanks for the great photo. It helps put a lot more into perspective. The news reports indicated that the upper climber appeared to be above that gully level. That is what I am going on. The original picture and map that was shown on the news showed them on the ridge route to the left, not the left of the two long and shadowed gullies. that is a lot of what I based my questions on.

Thank you SO much for the tips on how the mountains work! I had NO idea! ;)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

W,

Thanks for the great photo. It helps put a lot more into perspective. The news reports indicated that the upper climber appeared to be above that gully level. That is what I am going on. The original picture and map that was shown on the news showed them on the ridge route to the left, not the left of the two long and shadowed gullies. that is a lot of what I based my questions on.

Prick!

W,

Oh, that explains it, he must me watching Fox News. Dude's probably a Neo-Con.

Never thought I'd be writing this, but, let's keep the spray out of this thread.

I want this thread to stay here in hopes the relations and loved ones of the stranded climbers can see that any doubts as to the effectiveness and thoroughness of the rescue efforts raised by this n00b are baseless and without foundation.

I assumed this was a place to come and talk about serious climbing topics with serious climbers. With the exception of a handful of knowledgable replies, and you know who you are as I thanked you individually, the rest of you guys seem to just be full of hot air.

jon--there's good and bad on this board. unfortunately some of it gets overblown by outdoor types who get stuck inside cubes for too many hours.

stick around and add your $0.02. you may not like the tone but your topic as generated 5 pages of discussion, including several thoughtful replies.

I assumed this was a place to come and talk about serious climbing topics with serious climbers. With the exception of a handful of knowledgable replies, and you know who you are as I thanked you individually, the rest of you guys seem to just be full of hot air.

Yup. Noone here, especially "W", climbs very much.

The other things I learned, or think I did, was that there is rarely such a thing as sustained non-stop 80 mph winds for 5 days straight on a mountain. Yes there are gusts to that level and beyond, but I have yet to see non-stop winds like that. I might be wrong on that, but on my first Denali expedition in '96, the forecast was for sustained 50-100 mph winds and after spending 7 days at 14,000', I can attest that gusts like that are terrifying, but were not by any means non-stop.

What kind of windshirt were you wearing? Did you find any neutrinos on Denali? Is Denali a multi pitch climb (or can you make it multipitch with 40' pitches)? Did you preheat your thermos to keep the coffee hot?

I just want to know. I'm learning so much.

You're right. Too many of these "climbers" are just so foozy. It's great to be able to talk to a *real* climber.

The only hot air around here is combing off of your AWESOME pile of XGKs or is inside your AWESOME down suit. And why should anyone respond intelligently to your unintelligence? And how do you judge if a response is "knowledgable"? If it matches your own "knowledge"?

Finally, my kind of poster. Jon, you and I should get together and create a new board without all the fluff. Serious posts only, and climbing resumes required to separate the men from the boys.

Minx,

Thanks for the kind words. Are you willing to supply me with unlimited quantities of Advil to stick around here? lol

My intent with the post was genuine concern and curiosity. For those who didn't quite get it, when you see a question mark, that indicates that a question proceeded. A question indicates and desire for accurate knowledge. Is that hard to understand? (yes, that is a question)

FOR THE RECORD:

1. I think the rescuers there are highly qualified professional climbers who have sound judgement and skills.

2. I mean no disrespect to their decision to not go up.

I merely posed the question of whether the weather conditions were truly as severe as they appear to be. Some of you gave stellar answers to my nit picky questions. Thank you for your responses.

3. My heart goes out to the 3 guys up there and their families. Their courage and strength is an inspiration to me.

Watching this unfold is causing incredible anxiety for all of us. I can barely get any work done as I flip back and forth between CNN and NWCN. The images and words of this story cause me haunting memories as I am sure some of you guys know exactly what I am referring to.

We all hope for a break in the weather and a positive outcome to this scenario.

Finally, my kind of poster. Jon, you and I should get together and create a new board without all the fluff. Serious posts only, and climbing resumes required to separate the men from the boys.

:lmao:

I thought you had a court order to enforce that?!?

Ryland,

I long ago gave up paying attention to the windbags you meet in the climbing world. Nowadays they all just seem to be gym rats, at least in the area where I am now, and it seems harder and harder to find people who've actually been in those conditions and can make an intelligent climbing decision based on so many experiences you don't count anymore.

This is why I am not a member of these kinds of sites. Frankly, I'd rather be doing the stuff rather than sitting around talking about it.

And yes, I agree with you on the weather. It has an eerie feel to it. You can just feel that it is ugly extreme weather. This recent weather pattern has that kind of serious deep feel to it, unlike just passing storms...in fact it reminds me of the la nina storms we faced on Denali in '96. They came every 2 days the entire time I was there. It was brutal. I put off a Shasta climb a couple of weeks ago because the atmosphere just had that major unstable feeling about it..I am glad I did. This is bad, bad weather.

I am unable to not think about what these guys are facing right now. I picture my own body in a snow cave, like that one at about 16,200' on Denali and try to enter into that picture the wind and spindrift and loading going on there now..it is not a pretty picture. It gives me chills in my marrow.

While I don't pray, I do believe in hope.

As far as 'experts' go, I don't really believe in them. They frequently tend to be self-appointed. I just think there are people with lots of experience and those with less. After a while, you start to see who has actually been there and who is just talking smack about being there. Unfortunately, the world of climbing seems disproportionately smack anymore.

I miss the days of wool....

any one smell some hoWZitt???:confused: Edited by RuMR

If you simply reflected for a moment, you might see that your title for this thread combined with your questioning "whether the weather conditions were truly as severe...", along with your numerous other questions, you might understand that it readily appears these statements are in conflict with:

1. I think the rescuers there are highly qualified professional climbers who have sound judgement and skills.

2. I mean no disrespect to their decision to not go up.