does a nw 5.10 equal 5.8 in the valley?

markwebster

I'm wondering if the valley ratings are sandbag ratings, or have we just overated the difficulty of climbs in Leavenworth and Smith.

My 21 year old son and I just returned from a week in the valley. Granted, I am rusty at crack climbing, haven't done much of it in months. Exit 38 and 32 (snoqualmie pass) are so convenient, light packs, no friends and stoppers to carry.

I thought that a confident 10a ability on bolts would allow me to jump on at least 5.8 cracks in Yosemite. Not so!

The last route we did was called Bishop's Terrace, 5.8, in the Church Bowl area between Awanee and Yosemite Village. It was one long 60 meter pitch, though we broke it up into 2. The last 50 feet is 20 feet of 3 to 4 inch fist jams leading to a dead vertical hand crack. I lead karate (10a smith) this spring, and I thought it was easier than this bishops terrace 5.8.

Am I just an old, rusty has been, or are the ratings in the valley skewed?

One thing I'm sure of, next time I go down there, I'll climb nothing but cracks for few weeks. Bolt climbing ability is useless in the valley. clint_bishop1.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yosemite cracks tend to be on steep, smooth rock with few face-holds, and often vary in size within a single pitch from fingers to offwidth. So I think routes there can demand a wider range of techniques than are typically required within a single pitch at local granite crack-climbing areas like Leavenworth, Squamish or Index.

Yosemite cracks tend to be on steep, smooth rock with few face-holds, and often vary in size within a single pitch from fingers to offwidth. So I think routes there can demand a wider range of techniques than are typically required within a single pitch at local granite crack-climbing areas like Leavenworth, Squamish or Index.

Agreed.

Bishop's Terrace is an awesome climb, but I'd still call it 5.8. I do remember up at the top it was pretty much a "you must jam" spot. We don't really have that many of those in the NW on easier climbs, there is usually a face hold or something you can get to and get away with sloppy jamming technique, so it'd seem harder if you've been doing that for a while and get used to it. I think the ratings down there were pretty on though, although e-38 and vantage have a lot of notoriously soft graded stuff.

better question might be does a 5.10 face climb = 5.8 crack climb?

And from what I've seen, trying to face climb a crack seems to increase the difficulty by about 2 or 3 grades so yeah, that's probably about right. (had a chance to watch a couple burgeoning crack climbers who typically follow/gym-climb at 10b/10c but get shutdown at about 5.8+/5.9 when they have to actually climb a crack directly. They both lead at their upper limit about 5.8 cracks on gear, and 10a sport at (Vantage, Smith, etc maybe a wee bit harder at E38)

Whether a 5.8 NW crack = 5.8 Yos crack is a different question and as i've never been blessed enough to climb in Yos i have no idea what so ever! cry.gif

It's the reverse for me, I climber higher grades in the valley. Consistantly. Sometimes I think NW climbs tend to be rated easier than they are.

I think Karate is signifigantly harder than Bishops. Karate is harder than Peruvian Flake or Son of Sam too, both Valley 10as for instance.

This is one of the "your results will vary" things I think.

5.7 yosemite squeeze is going to feel much tougher then 10 crack for most people. Chimneys, squeezes, and off-widths require a far different skill set than most climbers develop. In general though I don't feel Yosemite has harder ratings than the NW. It all breaks down to the skills you have developed. If you climb a lot at Squamish you have probably developed techniques specific to slabby climbing. I climb easy 11 at Beacon, but then I've onsighted mid 11 at Indian Creek. I believe its simply because I've developed the skills which help me more at one area than another.

Mark, if you want NW grades that are consistent with the valley you need to climb at Index. Then the valley ratings will seem right on or easier than Index. Another thing to consider is the climbs in the valley are older than the climbs up here, especially the lower moderate grades ie 5.7-5.9. These were rated when the hardest climbs in the world were 5.10. Some of the scariest/hardest pitches I've climbed were valley 7,8,&9's. yoda.gif