Melt Snow Without Fuel or a Stove: Use Your Breath

cliffhanger

Without fuel, dying of thirst high on a snowy mountainside you have one source of heat that is tragically going to waste, your outgoing breath.

Pack a widemouthed quart bottle full of snow. Poke a deep, wide hole in the middle of the snow. Insulate the bottle. Blow down the hole. Keep the snow packed on the sides in as broad a layer as possible. In 30 minutes or so you will have one cup of liquid water.

Using a couple feet of 3/4" tubing makes routing the air more convenient. Just shove one tube into the bottom of the snow packed insulated bottle. Blow. Or use 2 tubes, with the tubes fitted thru a spare bottle cap. The 2nd tube is to route the expelled air out of your sleeping bag or parka.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Our vibrations were getting nasty--but why? Was there no communication in this car? Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?"

-The Great Gonzo

on a bright sunny day snow in a plastic bag inside a black stuff sack set out on a rock also works well and then you don't have to look like some freaky meth-head huffing his nalgene bottle for the flavonoid-high

Without fuel, dying of thirst high on a snowy mountainside you have ......

.. The 2nd tube is to route the expelled air out of your sleeping bag or parka.

I will die rather than fart into my precious nalgene.

It is not uncommon for climbers on larger climbs in a place like Alaska running out of fuel and/or food. This sounds to me like a good idea that could actually help as I have read over and over again that if you eat snow for liquid, you lose more water in generating the heat to melt the snow than you get from it. It may not be all that simple, but this does sound like a way to use "free" heat.

blush.gif heavens to betsy use the tubing you brought along as part of your Backcountry Enema Kit - New from Burton Gear this year! - for lifesaving and not smileysex5.gif

blush.gif heavens to betsy use the tubing you brought along as part of your Backcountry Enema Kit - New from Burton Gear this year! - for lifesaving and not smileysex5.gif

From Burton? Does it come complete with a heavy baggy camo print case to store it in?

Close. While you do not lose water in generating heat to melt snow which you have eaten, the energy transfer does lower your body's temperature which increases the risk of hypothermia. The resulting caloric loss must be replenished with some form of nutrition or food source, which requires water to digest and transport throughout your body. This why eating snow or ice is not recommend to hydrate yourself unless necessary to keep you alive long enough for a rescue.