Junk Food

I need to know what some of yous do to substitute junk food with healthier alternatives, and if you were able to stick to it, how did you do it. One chocolate chunk cookie for me quickly becomes like 10 or so within minutes. BTW, Back To Nature Oreo style cookies rockband.gif.

So, what have you done to steel your will power and cut out the junk? What has been your substitute that isn't too bland?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find that doing something that makes me work way hard to be fit helps me avoid eating shite food. I'm pretty skinny anyway, but after coming home from kung fu all drenched in sweat and feeling like I'm gonna puke from whatever conditioning drills, I feel like I'm squandering all the effort if I go and pound half a pint of Ben & Jerry's, or get fries with my burger or whatever.

Food (ha ha) for thought. cheeburga_ron.gifHCL.gifbigdrink.gif

I agree with the don't buy it as I have no control if its in my house. I sub Macadamian nuts, Zone bars, and milk and sometimes a piece of candied ginger if I have it around. Another thing I've found is that brushing my teeth or drinking liquor helps (as long as your not drinking girly drinks).

lcm and I buy sharkies by the box... blush.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

you can get them at REI among other outdoor stores but if you buy them at whole foods in Portland (not sure if you guys have them in WA) by the box you get a 10% discount...

Something else we do is buy cookies for diabetics (whole foods also has an excellent selection)... you'd be surprised how good they are!

Finally my favorite snack food is dried fruit... bananas, prunes, mango, etc etc Great replacement and good for you!

552939-hp_img1a.jpg

552939-hp_img1a.jpg.12fca251c8f98455faf9f19a6c6e1d7c.jpg

life's too short to eat shit that ain't tasty - i find my strict regime of ho-ho's n' ding-dongs really prepares me for the true bingng of candy barz n' fruit snax i bring in the alpine smile.gif
Dude, you have got the system that rockband.gif Myself I just have another bigdrink.gif andcheeburga_ron.gif

take up smoking, problem solved.

I have always eaten pretty shitty food. I used to exercise a lot though and stayed skinny. I think if you exercise a fair amount you'll be ok. Plus if you can't eat tasty food, why eat at all? skinny is the new black

This may be true.

However, it may also be true that eating poorly can have a cumulative, negative affect on your body and on your mind (if your body is out of whack, the chemicals/hormones in your brain don't level properly). Eating well now may make you much happier when you are ancient--you know, like forty years old or somewhere around that.

Then again, smoking cigs and taking ephedra are good for you too cantfocus.gif

This may be true.

However, it may also be true that eating poorly can have a cumulative, negative affect on your body and on your mind (if your body is out of whack, the chemicals/hormones in your brain don't level properly). Eating well now may make you much happier when you are ancient--you know, like forty years old or somewhere around that.

Then again, smoking cigs and taking ephedra are good for you too cantfocus.gif

40 is ancient? Great, i'll just go cap myself now... grin.gif

switch to healthy foods and your hunger will be satisfied with less calories. when I look at junk food now I realize that it wont achieve my body's desire for nutrition and satisying hunger and I really have no desire for it, other than as a quick convenient fix after a climb. less refined foods with the correct balance of protein/carbohydrate/fat that take longer to break down are the best. it's easiest to get advise on what and how much rather than figure it out on your own, some health clubs can provide heathy diets as part of training sessions. it's also best to control eating with smaller portions eaten more frequently so that your body doesn't store excess calories. junk food is not designed to satisfy hunger, it mostly keeps you wanting to eat more with the wrong nutritional ratio (e.g., high fat) so your body ends up storing more. this also produces $ revenues for large industrial corporations.

the downside is it is hard for many people to change their diet based on their situation, habits and prevailing american culture - good luck.

Ditto... You basically have to change your habits and/or lifestyle. If you go to Jack in the Box, get a salad instead of the Jumbo Jack, if you cook at home use veggie oil and not lard (don't ask). There is a plethora of information online about different foods, but if you don't get off you butt and read a little and act then it doesn't really matter.

Please refer to my signature line.

I need to know what some of yous do to substitute junk food with healthier alternatives, and if you were able to stick to it, how did you do it. One chocolate chunk cookie for me quickly becomes like 10 or so within minutes. BTW, Back To Nature Oreo style cookies rockband.gif.

So, what have you done to steel your will power and cut out the junk? What has been your substitute that isn't too bland?

I cut a particular junk food out of my diet right after New Years. I went from having it twice a day to not at all (maybe 1 every other weekend now). Quit cold-turkey. I didn't replace it with anything. The craving is all in you mind. It was a real difficult for a few weeks and I was feeling hungry more often, but I fought through the urges. Now I don't miss it. Its like mental training for climbing or some shit. It was really difficult but I just keep reminding myself that it is all in your mind. A powerful mind leads to a powerful body right? (I'm still waiting for the poweful body by the way..)

Ditto... You basically have to change your habits and/or lifestyle. If you go to Jack in the Box, get a salad instead of the Jumbo Jack, if you cook at home use veggie oil and not lard (don't ask). There is a plethora of information online about different foods, but if you don't get off you butt and read a little and act then it doesn't really matter.

Please refer to my signature line.

Yeah, get off your ass John; do something....

switch to healthy foods and your hunger will be satisfied with less calories. when I look at junk food now I realize that it wont achieve my body's desire for nutrition and satisying hunger and I really have no desire for it, other than as a quick convenient fix after a climb. less refined foods with the correct balance of protein/carbohydrate/fat that take longer to break down are the best. it's easiest to get advise on what and how much rather than figure it out on your own, some health clubs can provide heathy diets as part of training sessions. it's also best to control eating with smaller portions eaten more frequently so that your body doesn't store excess calories. junk food is not designed to satisfy hunger, it mostly keeps you wanting to eat more with the wrong nutritional ratio (e.g., high fat) so your body ends up storing more. this also produces $ revenues for large industrial corporations.

the downside is it is hard for many people to change their diet based on their situation, habits and prevailing american culture - good luck.

I agree with all this except the reasoning for eating smaller meals. There is no problem with your body storing the excess calories from a large meal, you just burn them off later as long as you do not exceed your overall proper daily caloric intake. It's good to experiment and find out what works with your own body. The small meals throughout the day thing doesn't always result in weight loss or even in lessening your craving for food...

you just burn them off later as long as you do not exceed your overall proper daily caloric intake

Agreed. Do a web search on "metabolic rate calculator", then count daily calorie intake for awhile until you arrive at daily menus that you like that match your individual metabolic rate. If you exercise that day you can eat more.

You could also estimate exercise calories but this whole thing doesn't really have to be that exact to work.

Edited by roboboy

Sugar-free chewing gum. Seriously. Like Trident or something. Gives you the sensory stimulation without the cals. Seems like alot of people eat for entertainment/sensory stimulation rather than because they are actually feeling hunger pangs.

Of course, for all you toothless meth addicts, this might not be the best solution.