TR: REI BLOWS!! SHOP ELSEWHERE!!!!

Choada_Boy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, REI should have just given you a full refund and said thank you.

Not all REI emplyoees know everything about everything. The problem is the clerks at the check out stand and returns really less than the average beginner.

I have NEVER had any problems with any returns or repares from REI.

While this isn't REI, those of you in Portland know the Mountain shop off Broadway(I don't think they sell climbing gear anymore). Last summer in City of Rock I was rappelling only to find myself on the short end of a rope still aways off the ground. Luckily I tied my ends together and managed to swing myself over to a ledge where I then down climbed (scary for me as this was my first big climbing trip).

We figured out the rope was miss marked by ten meters (a Beal rope). So we took it back to the Mountain Shop where two of the employees refused to get the manager on the phone and proceeded to yell about how climbing is a dangerous sport (we know that) and we should have measured the rope next to another. Which at that time we only had one rope of our own, and being used to climbing at Smith Rocks where your climbs are much shorter then City.

I guess how this relates to REI, is you're going to find the stupid and the assholes at alot of places.

Last summer in City of Rock I was rappelling only to find myself on the short end of a rope still aways off the ground. Luckily I tied my ends together and managed to swing myself over to a ledge where I then down climbed (scary for me as this was my first big climbing trip).

We figured out the rope was miss marked by ten meters (a Beal rope).

Were you rapping off Hesitation Blues?

Very good article. Expresses, in a much more civil tone, the disgust I feel with REI. Particularly the underhanded rule changes that all but eliminate anyone getting on the board except hand picked minions of the existing board members.

Cast your ballot for NONE OF THE ABOVE !

Beal absolutely sucks.

I love my Beal cord. Light 'n' supple for the big send, durable enough for the doggin', groovy technology. Oh, and it's every bit of the 60 metres it's supposed to be.

60? that's so old skool...everyone who's anyone is on an 80 now... the_finger.gif

So the question is, is the initial REI cooperative plan still a viable model? How is it modifiable to account for the current pricing schemes of gear companies? Would the effort be worth the return or would you end up getting only 5% discounts anyway?

True, yes, but how do you get around the minimum pricing restrictions of, say, BD? I'm obviously not someone close to 'the biz'. My guess is you'd have to first prove that you can move enough gear before they'd be willing to lower their pricing scheme for you and that would probably cause all of their other retailers to have screaming fits. Would you then be limited to selling weird gear from Andorra or some such place?

afaik, there has never been a dealer contract specifying what the company does with it's profits. You'd have to sell everything for retail, pay employees, and then send a big check out once or twice a year as a disbursal based on purchases.

I think it'd be pretty simple to form. You'd just need to make sure that you sold at least some gear to people at a storefront...