Climbers in geek professions...

JoshK

I was reading that thread where Lowell included some old emails between climbers at Microsoft and thought to myself "Wow, Microsoft actually used to be a cool place to work... :P"

That got me thinking...I wonder why so many climbers come from geek-professions?? Anybody have insight?

-josh

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prove:

Climbers come from geek professions

Proof:

geek professions = higher incomes

higher incomes = more disposable cash

more disposable cash = greater gear purchasing power

greater gear purchasing power = potential climber

potential climber = climber (eventually)

Therefore, thru the liberal use of the principle of substitution:

geek professions = climber

QED. Geek_em8.gif

Thank you. Class dismissed.

Now, I'm off to solve some more triple integrals... wave.gif

One is most often trying to "solve a problem" in both climbing and science/math/geek. A hard bouldering problem is like a hard but short calculus problem. Once you learn a set of skills, you put them together to "solve a bigger problem" - either a multi-pitch climb or doing a big semester project. You write reports after doing both smile.gif. Doing a first ascent is equivalent to doing your thesis (or original research)!! . grin.gif

All the talk about 1-1, 3-1, C or Z pullyes, equalized achors etc. come directly from mechanical engg (or high school physics). There are several more similarities/parallellisms that one could think about.

Climbing sure is a geek activity!! yelrotflmao.gif

How about:

a) not married = more disposable income + more free time

b) no kids = more disposable income + more free time

c) climbing != social event

d) does not, in general, help you get ahead in business where most of the gregarious social types play golf.

no offense given. just thinking.

I have met a lot of climbers from all over the country and it seems that a lot of climbers were either geeky growing up or not very atheletic (ie. stoners). Very few were jocks. I think I may notice this more because I was huge into team sports growing up and playing soccer all the way through college and was a dick to people different than me, which I regret now. Climbing turned me on because it was like wrestling in that you pushed yourself and no one else could be blamed if you failed. Coupled with the fact that my dad took me hiking, hunting, and fishing, which developed my land ethic and wanting to be in beautiful places.

I don't think being a jock necessarily makes me a better climber than someone who was not atheletic growing up. I actually think I am a terrible climber compared to how much time and training I've put into it compared to other things I've participated in.

As for the jobs thing, I don't necessarily think it has to do with income as most of the best climbers are dumpster diving and living out of their van down by the river. Remember that we are still a minute portion of the population and if you compared high income to what those people do with their money, I guarantee climbing does not make the grade when compared to golf, tennis, skiing, mountain biking, triathlons, bicycling, canoeing, and hiking.

Yes, Primer was strange but good!

I was so pathetic in 7th grade, the coach gave up in disgust and put me and the other wierdos in a field of our own with a big red bouncy ball to hit around while the real kids played tag football. It got worse from there. Hiking and climbing was something I couldn't be ridiculed at (until now because of my constant spraying tongue.gif). I'm in a geek profession too.

I was reading that thread where Lowell included some old emails between climbers at Microsoft and thought to myself "Wow, Microsoft actually used to be a cool place to work... :P"

That got me thinking...I wonder why so many climbers come from geek-professions?? Anybody have insight?

-josh

Because they're stuck in cubicle land for the rest of their lives they're driven to wall climing - literally.

Edited by Jim