Deep water soloing in Washington & Oregon?

chris

So I've been watching "Dosage Volume 2" lately with this incredible footage of Klem Loskot, Chris Sharma, and others soloing over the ocean at Malorca (sic?).

And I've seen photos of people cliff diving around Washington and Oregon into lakes and resevoirs.

So now I'm wondering if anyone knows of lakes or reservoirs that may have cliffs leading to the water's edge and be appropriate for doing some water soloing for ourselves?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

San Juans... must be somthing there b/c there is so much ggood stuiff next door in the BC Gulf Islands. I remember this 3 km long 5.8 traverse, we would do it with our lifejackets on cause if you fell off in the middle you had to swim back a km or so to get out of the water laugh.gif

Emigrant Lake outside of Ashland, when the water is up. There's a selection of stuff from five-easy to .12+ lines that are sport routes when the water is down. Of course, last time DFA went in that lake, he came out with an ear infection, but it's usually fairly safe, long as the water's deep enough to keep you from bottoming out from up high. People have gone in from around 70 or 80 feet when the lake is high, though.

There is some super tall shit on the columbia gorge. Fall could be fatal on some of it.

Roger Smith fell off of the very top of Rooster Rock and landed head first into the Columbia River during a rare moment of flood stage water. Stuck fast into the mud head first - upside down. The luck of a young, quick thinking couple picnicing right there, who had the knowledge and speed to rush out to him and to gently float him up and out to the water/land edge (with a broken neck) is nothing short of unbelivable.

But it happened. He had lots of other broken bones too. That was @ 1970-1971 I think.

Rodger and Kathy (?) were caretakers at Mazama lodge for years in case anybody knew them, Roger took his life @ 1990 and his ashes were scattered at Angels Landing in the gorge.

So- that probably doesn't answer the origonal question, although maybe in an extreme way it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Foster Resivoir near Sweet Home OR has some cliffs. (also a popular 30-35 ft jump spot) drive east on hwy 20 and turn left at green peter dam sign, drive over 2 or 3 bridges and the last one has some pull outs at the north west shore. the cliffs are visible from the bridge. the trail shouldnt be more than 200 yards long.