random drug tests

gapertimmy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was on athletic scholarship, i was at a track meet in alberta and after i won my race a man put his hand on my shoulder and asked my to come with him...turns out the coach on the other team had accused me of steroid use and i had to go to get tested right there... first of all...some guy sit down on a chair, hands me a cup and stares at my crotch and says you have one hour... but the catch is, he was watching me the whole time! [Eek!] i couldn't go...it took me 40 minutes to go and all the while this guy had to stare and my junk...gawd it was awful... [Eek!] freaking creepy... [hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by Toast:Seriously, from an employer's perspective, what information do you get from the labs? Sounds like they give you specifics on "positives" and it's at your discretion wheter to blink an eye. Is that right?[/QB]

The employer gets information on what specific drugs tested positive, I don't recall if there is info on degree of positive testing. Company response is totally up to the policy of an individual company, and results are not sent to law enforcement. In my company, if you've got diminished capacity, either stoned or hungover, you won't get to touch power tools and like as not you'll be driving a shovel and mercilessly abused all day. What you do on your time is your business, but the condition you're in on my time affects my income and your safety. I'm a sole proprietor, and the construction industry is mostly "at will" employment which means I can fire at any time for any (non-discriminatory) reason. Fact is, I like my employees, and I work pretty hard to make everything work out for everyone involved.

Random testing is pretty common in commercial construction. As a subcontractor we are dictated by the general when and where to piss. If we don't comply, our guy's dont work on the job. If they piss and fail they get one more chance, if they fail that test, most GC's ban them from ALL of their projects for life.

After arriving in county jail (during one of a few visits) this summer, I was treated to the pleasure of having a guard force me to take a piss test.

A few days later the C.O. comes by and with his southern-good-'ol-boy twang asks, "Son, just about how much shit do you smoke in a week?"

"uh... well... umm..."

"Jesus christ boy, your level was over 900. there's so much dope in your system, I could take a blood transfusion from you and be fucked up"

"oh?"

"You must smoke some GOOD shit."

-------------------------------

"The U.S. nonviolent prisoner population is larger than the combined populations of Wyoming and Alaska."

Source: John Irwin, Ph. D., Vincent Schiraldi, and Jason Ziedenberg, America's One Million Nonviolent Prisoners (Washington, DC: Justice Policy Institute, 1999), pg. 4.

I used to build commercial steel office buildings at the Arlington Airport. I'd be up on a wobbly steel purlin 35' above a concrete slab while watching the other dudes jumping the 5' spans and dancing around on them (they were all smoked and coked). Now I didn't give a shit what they did to themselves, but wasn't too excited about them being all fucked up and bouncing me on a beam.

interesting issue. I had to pee in a cup to get my latest job. I found it totaly demoralizing. Like I had to prove I hadn't done anything wrong. I peed clean of course... I have the job... But I do think it is a bummer that you have to prove that you are not a junkie [Frown] I definatly considerd not taking the job, based on this... but when push come to shove, I wanted to work, and I can understand from an employers point of view, why they would not want some one with a drug habbit working in a bank.

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

[qb]i do think its pretty bogus, and i think i got chosen today cuz the lady that does the tests is pissed off at me (thats what I don't like about this "random" system)

if i didn't like my job as much as i do, i wouldn't put up with the bs. instead i just have to watch meself and save my fun for the summertime when i get laid off

YEAH GET PISSED MOFO!!!!

[ 10-24-2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: erik ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Schuldt:

In Canibis Culture I saw an add for a fake penis that you could whip out and pee with. It has a bag for clean piss. Comes in different colors to match your race. I will try to find their web site this weekend.

uuhhhh dave thats cool and all, but ummm i think trask already has the url.....

It's a very touchy subject. I believe that what a person does on their own time is their business, it really only affects me when they bring it to work the next day. My employees work with heavy materials and glass along with high powered cutting tools and machinary(sp?) the last thing I want to see is one of them loose a limb or severely injure themselves because they drank a 1/5 last night or polished off a lid while watching the world series.

On the other hand, if they want to go on a binge friday at 3:30PM until sunday afternoon, that's their business/life, as long as they aren't out driving around and endangering the lives of others, I really don't care.

The problem (ok one of them) I have with testing, is that most are done by an inexpensive analysis that looks at what substances have been metaboloized (and are stored in body fat). Of all the drugs one could ingest, what is the one that stays metabolized for more than a day? The good green herb, of course. There's a more expensive and accurate gas chromo that could be done, but companies find it easier to take the cheap one then dismiss out of hand if positive.

B-rock, you're right, most companies tend to go with the easy (less expensive) test. However, two of the larger general contractors in Portland have figured out that they can reduce their insurance rates by going with a higher quality of test, they are also smart enough to know that people are still gonna smoke, etc. but they let you know exactly how much of a certain substance they are looking for. Everything in moderation I guess.

quote:

computer guys function better when under the influence of mind altering substances.

> Werd up to that, gapper tim! Just look at DFA as a prime example. Bwahahaha

Just look at Deterministic Finite Automata (DFA)?

damn, I am such a nerd. [geek][hell no]

quote:

Originally posted by Toast:

When I was in college I swore I'd never sink so low as to piss in a cup. This was more out of principle than the fact I'd fail.

Well, the day actually came and I did the deed for a job I wanted. Nothing ever came of it and it makes me think the testing process itself may be flawed, testing clinics underfunded, or just a smoke screen by companies to deter the... um, smoke.

Maybe you and Texas Speed's bosses just want some sure ammo that they can use to fire you with if they ever feel the need. Sweet dreams.

Used to work for a security software company, and still have hippie friends keeping the likes of us from hacking various secrets -- apparently you eat a lot of goldenseal (vitamin/herbal thingy?) and at the wiz-quiz you tell them you eat a lot of poppy-seed muffins/bagels. Supposedly screws their testing chem up somehow... huh.