Worst Published Climbing Literature

Lambone

Ok, maybe this thread has been done before...

but, I keep this one book by my toilet and each time I sit down to take a crap I'm amazed about how much it sucks ass!

Ever read any of:

"Royal Robins- Spirit of the Age" by Pat Ament

???

Only if you pick up this piece of garbage for more than 30 seconds can you realize and appreciate how much it actually sucks. Like not only pitiful elementry school writting, but also blatant missinformation and lies. For instance, that Royal "devised" the use of hooks to climb over blank rock. What a crock of shit. I don't know who used the first hook, but I'd bet hard earned money that it was some old school Euro...not Robbins.

The entire length of the book Pat Amets lips are so brown from sucking the dingleberries of Royals ass that it's almost humiliating.

Anyway, just venting.

The only thing that saves this book are the awesome black and white photos of the pioneers of Yosemite climbing, the reason it sits by my toilet and not in it...

Sure Pat Ament was/is probly 100x tougher than I will ever be, but damn put down the pen fellow, before you hurt somebody! cantfocus.gif

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ament is bad. Real bad. I liked Dave Harris's "Vortex" though.

But by far the worst has got to be two pieces by Bob Cotter akas Robert Cordery-Cotter, in the CAJ and another one of his in High Mountain Sports. It is the worst writing I have ever read let alone worst climbing literature!

I'd have to say "Facing The Extreme : One Woman's Tale of True Courage, Death-Defying Survival and Her Quest For The Summit " by Ruth A. Kocour, Michael Hodgson .

Fricken joke of a book. All the names are changed, except hers, so she can freely exagerate everything that happened on her lame ass guided climb of Denali and avoid libel lawsuits. I liked it when she said that it is a 250 mile flight from Talkeetna to the Kahiltna BC ... rolleyes.gif And makes herself sound like ubber climbing girl with everyone else being idiots compared to her. Yoy!

"Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story." Co-author Michael Hodgson

Hate to touch the untouchable here, but for pure reading enjoyment I have to say that anything by Beckey is horrible. I will admit that I own most of the books, but they are boring to the point of unreadable. Unlike some of the other examples, Fred has done a great service to the historical and climbing communities by writing the books he has, and I do still read them. They are so detailed that they are very hard to read. Has anyone actually read Range of Glaciers? I tried, now I just use it as a reference book to read bits and peices about different areas.

Range of Glaciers is not a climbing book. But if you read most well written history books they are dryer than normal. I didn't think it was too bad of a compilation and have read it twice. I like sections of cowboys and indians and the pass finding, mining and all the avalanche stuff... In fact I thought it pretty good.

Crime and Punishment was more intertesting, and WAY shorter, than War and Peace. Was better than Anna Karenina too. But that's because Tolstoy was a romantic windbag!

As far as climbing books are concerned, I got some free ones from Cpt. Caveman. I kind of flipped through Messner's Annapurna history book, didn't stop to read much in depth. I don't know, do the other ones suck? Give me a few more days on the throne to figure that out.

"White Winds" by Joe Wilcox. About the ill-fated 1967 Muldrow Glacier expedition where seven of his team died in a storm. The entire book is nothing more than lame attempts to absolve himself (as leader) of any responsibility and claim that the tragedy was caused by some sort of "super storm" unrivaled in the annals of mountaineering. rolleyes.gif

Agree with whoever said the Crystal Horizon. I couldn't get past the second chapter it was so bad.

My latest least favorite is the last issue of Alpinist mag(#8). It totally comes across as chest beating spray by almost every writer this issue. A friend of mine put it well...They may not have many ads, but each article seems like an advertisement for the climbers who are looking for sponsorship. thumbs_down.gif if they keep this up I will have to ask for my money back.

Ament's Piece on Eldo in Climbing 2-4 years ago was undoubtedly the worst ever.

Fuck. You beat me to the punch. That was without a doubt one of the sutpidest fucking articles I've seen in that magazine. Period.

Runner up would have to be that stupid article of Dave Graham, et. al. going to Europe. "UNCENSORED!!!" or some stupid shit like that. madgo_ron.gif