Leavenworth Rope Up vs. Smith Love Fest

BreezyD

I might only be able to attend one of these events in October and I need help deciding which one. 'Twas wondering if those of you who have attended one or both could chime in.

How do they differ with respect to climbing, attendance, and general vibe?

Thanks in advance for your opinions ... I know you all have one. smile.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both have their virtues for sure. In your case, you are surrounded by that which we Oregonians crave after months of climbing choss. Therefore Smith might be better for you since its more convenient for you to get on granite whenever you like.

I didn't go to the 11worth gig but was at the Smithfest '03 and had a good time. Probably too good a time as the climbing was a bit shakier than the norm.

Tough decision you have to make there.

Hmmm... Central Cascades in mid-October or the Oregon desert? Logic might point to the conclusion that the weather in the desert might be a tad more predictable that time of year. Since last year at the Smiff party it was in the high 70s and sunny, and the 11worth beckfest was rained out and cold.

Of course if you looking to learn to lead Trad, the Icicle has a lot of good areas and easy first trad leads. You might be able to con someone into setting up a top rope at Mountaineers dome or somewhere else where you can climb on top rope but practice placing pro as well. Granted i've only been to smith once but it didn't seem quite as convienent for learning to lead trad.

11worth has a less "urban" vibe than Smith. Camping in the trees, more options to get away from crowds but still climb quality rock

Smith is redneck dirtpatch camping and busy crags in a compact park.

11worth has more options if you are setting your own TRs but not leading. Most routes at smith require someone to gun the rop to the anchors before you can TR. Smith has more easy sport routes (these are usually crowded). 11worth has easy gear routes.

11worth is jinxed for me - rain, injuries, food poisoning - I have not had a drama free trip there since 1997.

Here's my break down of the two last year.

Pyramid thumbs_down.gif vs. TG goodness thumbs_up.gif

Cold rain thumbs_down.gif vs.Warm sun thumbs_up.gif

2.5 hour drive thumbs_up.gif vs. 5 hour drive thumbs_down.gif

Camping in Icicle Creek thumbs_up.gif w/rain thumbs_down.gif vs. Camping among sagebrush thumbs_up.gif

Ltown cragging thumbs_up.gif vs. Smiffy bolt clippin thumbs_up.gif

The Oregonia desert in the fall is so shweet. Either place has good beginer stuff sport or trad.

Here's my break down of the two last year.

Pyramid thumbs_down.gif vs. TG goodness thumbs_up.gif

Cold rain thumbs_down.gif vs.Warm sun thumbs_up.gif

2.5 hour drive thumbs_up.gif vs. 5 hour drive thumbs_down.gif

Camping in Icicle Creek thumbs_up.gif w/rain thumbs_down.gif vs. Camping among sagebrush thumbs_up.gif

Ltown cragging thumbs_up.gif vs. Smiffy bolt clippin thumbs_up.gif

The Oregonia desert in the fall is so shweet. Either place has good beginer stuff sport or trad.

Way to live in the past. thumbs_down.gifthe_finger.gif That was last year.

This year the 11worth event is in early October not late. I recommend going to both events, but if you have to choose don't base your decision on what happened last year.

If, living in Seattle, you have to choose between one or the other: choose Smith. You can go to Leavenworth as a day trip. (This assumes, however, that you are up for the 5 hour drive to Smiff, and that your objective here is climbing at some place where you haven't or won't climb otherwise.)