Last Great Problem?

luvshaker

I was wondering if anyone else out there has ever thought about what the "last great Oregon climbing objective" might be on our little "hills", and if there even is one.

I read a discussion a while back on the W. face of the Matterhorn in the EC's and someone threw out that title.

Are there any elusive routes still our there?

How about a Broken Top full crater rim traverse?????

Ideas.....?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the discussion of the West Face of Matterhorn in the EC indicated that a line or two had been done, but they were not "true" diretissmas to the summit. So one could still argue that the West Face Direct of the 'Horn (it's "Nose") is still a contender.

I imagine also that something along the Grand Canyon of the Snake River would contend as well. Isn't there something like 6,000 vert feet of relief around there?

Turkey has been freed a few times.

luvshaker: are you referring to rock or alpine or both?

If rock, talk to Jim Anglin (I can get you contact); he knows all the rock.

If alpine, I will quote my friend Brock: "It hasn't been done yet because its bullshit..."

Don't waste your time here... go to the Ruth Gorge.

The north face of the St Helens crater.....YEA!! These are the kind of ideas I was searching for!

Noles, totally agree with you "if it ain't been done yet, it probably ain't worth it", but a climber can dream can't he? I was throwing the idea out there mostly to see if any other alpine/rock folks had any ideas my little brain hadn't thought of.

I always hear about the black spider..... What's the history on that beautiful piece of stone?

The turkey monster has been freed, and done a long time ago. Here is an experpt from the underground menagerie guide.

"Route 1 Dod Route (North Face) 5.11a F.A. Eugene Dod, Dave Jensen, Bill Pratt 1966

This route was originally done nearly all on aid, in the mid 1970’s Jeff Thomas was the first to free the bird with a variation on the third pitch, Tom Blust free climbed the original finish a short while later."

The turkey monster has been freed, and done a long time ago. Here is an experpt from the underground menagerie guide.

"Route 1 Dod Route (North Face) 5.11a F.A. Eugene Dod, Dave Jensen, Bill Pratt 1966

This route was originally done nearly all on aid, in the mid 1970’s Jeff Thomas was the first to free the bird with a variation on the third pitch, Tom Blust free climbed the original finish a short while later."

fricken terrifying stuff no doubt

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. thumbs_up.gif

How about the pillar out Prineville?

That one looks scary, and I think the only route is an aid route.

Forget the name of that one, but I scoped a free line on the North Face some years back. Waaaaay hard!