"The Deer Hunter"

JoshK

So I'm watching Bravo right now and this movie is on. I had never heard it before, but apparently it's a classic about the vietnam war from 1978.

Right as I turned it on the scene featured the main actors driving through a beautiful mountain range with large glaciers. I searched for information about the film and, sure enough, it was filmed in north cascades national park.

Has anybody here seen this movie?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drinking Game:"The Beer Hunter". The premise is something like this: take a six-pack and shake one of the cans vigorously. Use a paint mixer if needed. Then each player holds a can up to his head and opens the poptop. The idea, of course, is that one of the cans will explode on the hapless participant, who is then forced to drink all unopened cans and pick shards of aluminum out of his skull. bigdrink.gif

The deer hunting scenes were indeed shot in North Cascades. The town scenes were shot in Mingo Junction and Bellaire, Ohio, where I was living at the time of the filming. Some of my friends and family were in the steel mill scenes. Naturally, we were eager to see the movie when it first came out. We thought the scenes in the mill and in the wedding celebration rang very true to life.

Then the guys go off on their hunting trip, and we expected to see representative views of our own hunting grounds in the Appalachians. Instead, we see these mountain peaks that didn't look anything like Pennsylvania, and we laughed our asses off through the rest of the movie.

We also couldn't believe how DeNiro and the others mispronounced our favorite beer, "Rolling ROCK," with the accent on the "Rock."

It wasn't until years later that I came to appreciate the brilliance of the movie. It's undoubtedly the best Vietnam movie ever.

The deer hunting scenes were indeed shot in North Cascades. The town scenes were shot in Mingo Junction and Bellaire, Ohio, where I was living at the time of the filming. Some of my friends and family were in the steel mill scenes. Naturally, we were eager to see the movie when it first came out. We thought the scenes in the mill and in the wedding celebration rang very true to life.

Then the guys go off on their hunting trip, and we expected to see representative views of our own hunting grounds in the Appalachians. Instead, we see these mountain peaks that didn't look anything like Pennsylvania, and we laughed our asses off through the rest of the movie.

We also couldn't believe how DeNiro and the others mispronounced our favorite beer, "Rolling ROCK," with the accent on the "Rock."

It wasn't until years later that I came to appreciate the brilliance of the movie. It's undoubtedly the best Vietnam movie ever.

you just confirmed what i have suspected about people from ohio.

deer hunter? never heard of it rolleyes.gif cuz i live in an alternate universe with my head buried in the sand.

He's young, lummox. rolleyes.gifhellno3d.gif

Indeed...it was made before I existed. I wasn't aware that it was such a classic until I started researching where it was filmed. I watched 45 minutes or so before I couldn't keep my eyes up any more, but I think I'll definitely rent it.

I did question why they would bother to film the hunting scenes in NCNP instead of the much easier accessed appalachins. I suppose there is something to be said for sheer visual appeal for the sacrifice of some reality.

i've been to the high pt of ohio...it's a hill about 50 feet high in the middle of a cosmpology community college...on a quest to do all the state hi-pts i slept in a bank parking lot nearby waiting for the morning and the campus rent-a-cops to unlock the gate.

my 2 cents: i thought "platoon" was much better attempt at showing "what it was like" my dad, a survivor of tet, never thought much of the "deer hunter"