I dropped my cam

layton

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things have been said about what I have said in the past. Well here are my views.

1) I agree with RuMr on the ways to climb

2) Muffy, you need to force yourself to start leading harder sport climbs. No wimping out! Also you need to do a little aiding to give yourself confidence in your gear placements.

3) Finally if your not falling on gear you found at the base of El Cap, then your not keeping it real. And there is nothing wrong with not keeping it real.

4) If snafflehounds are good enough for fred B. then there good enough for me.

5) Think less, solo more

6) The portland rock gym is very expensive but there is a hot young chick working there.

I have said it 10 million times and I will continue to say it

TEX RULES thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

Has anyone even heard of a cam physically failing? I.e., one of the lobes actually deforming or breaking? I sure haven't. All that has ever happened to me is the cam blowing out when the rock around it failed, and the triggered getting mangled so bad it had to be replaced.

A long time ago, I picked up a #4 at the bottom of Tahquitz that had fallen and tumbled 300+ feet. I worked in a hospital at teh time, and one of the x-ray tech's had a fun time maxing the machine out so that we could look for stress fractures in the metal. Didn't find any though...

there was an ANAM a few yrs ago with an accident in Arizona where one, maybe two of the cams in a three point anchor had failed - the lobes were mushroomed severely and deformed.

i fell on a cam once that failed cause two of the swages popped and then it rotated out around the camming pair of lobes. turned a routine 20 footer into an oh shit 40 footer.