I dropped my cam

layton

It's actually Nick's fault, but I dropped my cam about 300 feet. The corner of one of the lobes got a little mushroomed, but no discernable cracks.

Should I toss it or use it? I may try taking a fall on it with another cam right below, but I imagine I'd need to take a facter 2 whipper to really test it cuz I'm sure it'd hold a 20 footer. I don't want to take a fall like that and I sure as hell don't want to ruin a good rope.

should I just put it back on the sling and fuck it?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fault? You dirty sonofabitch. Sure send me to do the dirty work(i.e. french free the aid pitch), and then blame the cam drop on me. Oh noo noo my firend. Nada guilt amigo. yelrotflmao.gif

nice try though, gotta give points for the effort. That thing looked fine. Toss it in a crack and drop some wieght on it, see if the metal has any hairlines in it. hahaha.gifthumbs_up.gif

I totally use dropped cams as long as they still look ok. I even have some el cap booty I use on my rack from time to time.
the idea is for pro to be back up.. as long as you don't PLAN on falling on it you should be fine. I would use it as long as it looks good.

the idea is for pro to be back up.. as long as you don't PLAN on falling on it you should be fine. I would use it as long as it looks good.

I respectfully disagree.

The idea is for pro-tection to save your ass, should it ever come to that. If your pro is unable to fulfill this singular requirement, it is virtually worthless and could lead to disastrous consequences (see also: life insurance thread).

Who plans on falling, anyway?

Besides, things are not always as they appear ...

I totally use dropped cams as long as they still look ok. I even have some el cap booty I use on my rack from time to time.

Sorry for saying this but, completely idiotic statement above. If you don't plan on falling (so much so that you don't need gear that works) then you don't need all those cumbersome ropes and gear.

Gear is to protect you if you fall. If you don't trust it, then it's worse than worthless. It's extra weight.

I agree w/Scott_Harpell. Pro is for falling on. You'll never climb hard unless you fall on your gear....of course unless the fall would hurt or kill you. Then your cams or pro won't do shit anyways which emphasises the point that gear is for falling on. If the gear won't take the fall then there was no reason to place it in the first place.

I agree w/Scott_Harpell. Pro is for falling on. You'll never climb hard unless you fall on your gear....of course unless the fall would hurt or kill you. Then your cams or pro won't do shit anyways which emphasises the point that gear is for falling on. If the gear won't take the fall then there was no reason to place it in the first place.

me too tongue.gifwave.gif