Stop Cogentrix

fleblebleb

Lifted off the UW Climbing Club mailing list...

---

If anyone's been to Smith lately, you may have noticed some signs saying "Stop Cogentrix."

I'm usually not an active activist [Wink] but this one caught my eye and I decided to check it out. Looks like they're going to put in a power plant (that makes power for California) really close to the park.

Take a look at some info and please sign the petition at: http://www.petitiononline.com/Grizzly/petition.html

info:

http://www.smithrock.com/flash/cogentrix.html

(of course you can find more by simply searching)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

COGENTRIX PUTS GRIZZLY POWER PROJECT ON "MARKET HOLD".

Dear Supporters,

The press release below is good news indeed, because with the new water mitigation rules passed, Cogentrix could continue processing their water right permits. I am curious to know whether this "market hold" has to do with the changing market conditions, Cogentrix' financial shakiness or the overwhelming opposition in Central Oregon. I would guess that all three are playing a part in the decision.

While this is a far cry from the Cogentrix plant being completely dead, at least it will buy us time, time that we need to change elected officials and take definitive steps to protect our resources, particularly the groundwater in Central Oregon.

We will continue with all vigilance and keep you posted on new developments.

Best regards,

Mary Zemke, Founder

STOP Cogentrix

PS I'm not taking down my "NO Cogentrix" signs yet!

From bend.com news sources

Originally Posted September 25, 2002 at 1:38 pm

Reference Code: PR-6371

September 25 - Media Contacts:

Jef Freeman

704-525-3800

Jeffreeman@cogentrix.com

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release

Cogentrix Puts Grizzly Power Project on Market Hold

Current power market conditions not conducive for project

to continue in active development.

Charlotte, NC-September 25, 2002-Cogentrix Energy, sponsor of the proposed 980 MW Grizzly Power project in Jefferson County, Oregon has placed the project on market hold. The project will remain of interest to the company for possible activity when market considerations are more conducive to the project moving forward.

Accordingly, the Oregon Energy Facility Siting Council and other Oregon permitting agencies have been asked to defer their review of the project until notified otherwise.

Circumstances within the electric power marketplace are very different today from what existed when we began developing the Grizzly project. Numerous events on both the supply and demand side of the industry make moving forward with the active development of the project impractical at this time. While regrettable, we believe that putting the project on hold until market conditions improve is the prudent course of action.

We want to express our appreciation to everyone that supported our efforts to date, particularly the Madras/Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce staff for their tireless efforts on our behalf and those of their community. As is often the case with projects of this magnitude, opinions vary widely and the Grizzly project was not immune from debate. Under such circumstances it is often easier for community leaders to remain silent. This did not occur here. We are truly indebted to the Madras and Jefferson County elected and civic leaders for the time spent separating fact from fiction about our project. We appreciate them, their time and their support of the project, said Jef Freeman, Vice President of Public Affairs for Cogentrix.

Cogentrix Energy, Inc., headquartered in Charlotte, NC, acquires, develops, owns and operates electric generation and other power assets in the United States and internationally. Cogentrix has, in whole or in part, equity interests in 27 facilities in 14 states with a total generating capability of approximately 7,800 megawatts. For more information on Cogentrix, visit the corporate website at www.cogentrix.com.

--- Mary Zemke

--- mzemke@earthlink.net

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.

[ 09-25-2002, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Winter ]

There is little information as to what type of power plant is proposed. What type of fuel is going to be used? Coal, oil shale or any heavy oil based products are very bad as is nuclear. But if its a natural gas plant I for one would have no problem with that as long as there are plans for heat recovery on the exhaust to further generate power via steam. All the water used in the cooling and heat generation from the exhaust is a closed cycle that have make up water added now and again. There is very little water leakage in the long run. Chemicals used to control pH, conductivity, and scale are monitored daily and if used properly don't need to be added very often once the system is on line. Power generation is not a bad word, it just has to watched by a "watch dog" group to make sure that the companies involved do the correct things when the need arises. As for "smoke" stacks over Smith if this is indeed a gas generation plant there is little material expelled into the environment, and again there are monitors controling the burning of the fuel to make sure the fuel is used to its utmost efficiency. Power generation of this type is very clean and will employ a fair number of people with training in power generation.

Now as for all of you that view all power generation and progress a terrible thing. Stop and think what your negative attitude would do if applied correctly to actually help put progress to work in a healthy way. Knee jerk attitudes on both sides just results in neither side listening, so we end up with very little to zero change in the way big business operates.

"Now as for all of you that view all power generation and progress a terrible thing. Stop and think what your negative attitude would do if applied correctly to actually help put progress to work in a healthy way. Knee jerk attitudes on both sides just results in neither side listening, so we end up with very little to zero change in the way big business operates."

Shut up before the Doctor punches you square in the nose, you fossil-fuels tool! [laf][big Grin]

[ 09-26-2002, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]

Apparently you don't know Sisu or you would not be saying you would be punching him. Hope he does not learn who you might be when he is at the crags. He's fucking old and mean as a snake.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

"Now as for all of you that view all power generation and progress a terrible thing. Stop and think what your negative attitude would do if applied correctly to actually help put progress to work in a healthy way. Knee jerk attitudes on both sides just results in neither side listening, so we end up with very little to zero change in the way big business operates."

Shut up before the Doctor punches you square in the nose, you fossil-fuels tool!
[laf][big Grin]

Hey DFA where is the power coming from that powers you computer that you spray on all day long? How did you get to work today? How do you get to Smith, do you ride your bike? In other words STFU!!!!!!!

quote:

Shut up before the Doctor punches you square in the nose, you fossil-fuels tool!
[laf][big Grin]

Now after reading Jon's comment I have to laugh at you. Also knowing and climbing with Sisu Suomi I would bet he would knock your ass into the next solar system if you talked to him like that. [laf]

Sisu,

It's a natural gas-fired plant. And, even though it's a "closed" system, the makeup water demands for plants like that are v. large - on the order of 2 to 4,000 gallons per minute or so, depending on the size of the plant and how much power they are generating. Most plants eventually discharge the water because eventually it becomes uneconomic to recycle it because of dissolved solids buildup. I don't have the particulars of this plant, but I recall it's a large one, and I do know something about their efforts to obtain water. Cogentrix has been trying to obtain a groundwater source. When you consider the Deschutes Basin is essentially closed to groundwater appropriation unless the potential impacts to surface water are mitigated for (see the Oregon Water Resources Department Deschutes Basin rules), the impact of the plant could be very significant. I guess it comes down to folks deciding whether or not (1) the water is available, and (2) power generation is where they want the water to go, rather than for some other purpose. I suspect the water issue will make or break the plant.

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

quote:

[laf][big Grin]

Now after reading Jon's comment I have to laugh at you. Also knowing and climbing with Sisu Suomi I would bet he would knock your ass into the next solar system if you talked to him like that.
[laf]
Damn, you cheez-balls couldn't pick up on the most transparent internet sarcasm ol' Dr. Flash Amazing could muster, eh? Sheesh! Pull the sticks out your backsides and lighten up, fellas; might do you some good!

[Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes][Roll Eyes]

The Doctor has been waiting for that damn superhighway for DAYS. All this fuckin' Highway 97 traffic and making seventeen turns to get to Smith is ludicrous. Run the road right through Asterisk Pass, Starbucks at the base of Morning Glory, parking from Morning Glory all the way across the river to Rope de Dope, taco stand with beers and a balcony over on top of Rope de Dope block. Golden.

So hurry up with the asphalt, bro.

[ 09-26-2002, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]