On Trask, change, etc.

RobBob

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a way to monitor how many people visit the spray forum versus all other forums? For instance, I just checked and there where 18 people viewing the spray forum, while there were a total of 38 people viewing other forums. Viewing not posting. That is really how you can tell were people's true interest lies cause not every one that views a forum posts to it. People are claiming that the spray forum is the most important part of this site. Bull shit. If this were so wouldn't you expect to see well over half of all people viewing the spray forum. Has this ever been the case? To say the spray forum gets more traffic is not telling the whole story cause it's the same 20 or 30 people posting every freaking 2 minutes. I truly can't figure out why this whole issue makes people so angry that they want to just leave the site for good!!

I guess spray is like climbing; to some people its just a hobby, to others their entire freaking life revolves around it. confused.gif

:toiletflushing:

Seems to me like some people get a hair across their ass over something, and then exploit their powers as "moderators" in a personal way.

For instance:

Cavey said:

FUCKING DIE MOTHER FUCKING SHITHEAD FUCKING CUM GUZZLING ASSHOLE DICKNECK spray haters.

Doctorb said:

Die, cock-throttler...

Nameless Moderator said:

Your account has been banned or locked: cock throttler?

wazzup.gif

I would argue that cc.com is become MORE like a "community" than it's early days as a "club".

You beat me to the punch with that comment. I agree. I'm certainly not one of the longest-tenured CC.com visitors, but the site has always seemed very "clubby" to me, much more so than the other forum-type sites I visit. Maybe some of these changes will indeed turn it into more of a broad-based community. One can only hope...

I'd bet there's a hell of a lot of CC.com visitors out there, with potentially valuable things to contribute, who never post due to the risk of not being accepted as part of the club.

On another note, I find it amusing that people keep pointing out that Spray is the "most popular" forum on CC.com. Highest number of posts, perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily equate to "most popular", at least not by my standards. It has basically been all noise recently, with little or no useful anything. Definitely the most used, least valuable part of this site.

Counter-opinions are welcome.

well it seems like many of the little nerdy things new climbers get riled up about (knot strengths and whatnot) have all been hashed out already on this site, so the spray stuff becomes a little less useful I guess. As for being worried about not being accepted...well I'd have to call someone fairly spineless who is concerned about that on an anonymous (if so desired) internet chat site. But I agree with the club-like nature of the earlier days on this board. Scotty't did remind me a bit of Anthony Michael Hall in the Breakfast Club back in the day hahaha

One time, I was trying to throw an empty plastic bottle onto a deck above me at a party. I cocked my are back and let loose and the bottle whacked off something and flew off in the oppostie direction. I figured I'd hit a chair or something. Turns out, it was this little kid's head that had been standing next to me. His dad was pissed.

i haven't been part of this site long enough to perceive all the changes some of you have mentioned, but i know it bums me out when people leave the site. whether of their own free will or through being banned, i feel like we lose out on what those people have to contribute. whether it's one of trask's posts cracking you up after a bad day or Fairweather representing the right in a group of left-wingers, everyone brings something different to the table and that's what makes cc.com so great.

I think the guys here making a big hooha over themselves not posting anymore are a bunch of fucking drama queens. the_finger.gif

Fairweather,Robrob do you guys spank your monkeys everytime someone says they are going to miss you on these gay ass threads?

I wouldn't be surprised if several of the people who've posted a little, then stopped, left because they perceived a hostile atmosphere. It's less hostile here than the late rec.climbing, where it was common for regulars to flame newbie posters just for being newbies.

But even in spray, if there's a lot of posters filling the world with their presence, to quote Fanon, it's reasonable to assume that it's just not worth it to join in.

A long-ass time ago I learned a very valuable, important lesson about the Internet:

No one gives a fuck about you. No one will "miss you" when you are gone. I made the mistake of thinking that I was more important to one site I administered for many years, once. But no one cared when I left there. Oh sure, when I visited from time to time (trying to figure out if they missed me enough to ask me back yet) they remembered something about me...but it wasnt like they had emergency back-room meetings.."Alex is leaving!!! What do we DO???"

New people to this or any site won't have the context of your posts or personality, and old posters will either bring you up at Pub Club while telling a drunken funny story, or not at all.

Its natural for you to think that people you spend so much time with and who you possibly think are your friends should miss you or support you. In many cases, they might. But don't fool yourself about how important you might be to the majority of posters here.

If you really want to leave something, then I suggest that a legacy you *can* leave is to leave well thought out, timeless content in the trip reports sections of the site. (I just read a CLASSIC one this am from Layton about an alpine climb from the perspective of his pending poop seeking freedom!!) These are the posts people will be searching through in the future. This is the material people will read, then click on your avatar icon, find your email address, and send you a message.

Alex

How many IP addresses can my work conjure up from the multitude of computers I use?

As far as being emailed and remembered by someone for some post or report I could care less. I don't see a benefit to it.

I will reply and contribute but my time is limited here because it's been frankly boring for a while most of the time..