Seasonal Beers

willstrickland

So it's that time of year, and I've been doing my share of sampling bigdrink.gif

Fairbanks ain't no Portland when it comes to beer, but we get alot of stuff from the PNW up here. I'd rank this years seasonals something like this:

Wassail

Ole Fezziwig

Jubel

Winterhook

Winternacht

Alaskan whateverthefuckthenameofdatshizzis

Ebeneezer

What else is good out there? I'm going through a sixer of seasonal a week on top of the normal assortment until I've sampled most of the available seasonals up here. (On the normal assortment Alaskan ESB has been in heavy rotation along with Deschutes stuff since they're both cheaper than anything else good up here...like $6.40 /six compared to $8.50 for everything else, schtuff is expensive up here)

FWIW, I'd rather have some of TGs barley wine or porter than any of it. Barley wine rockband.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, but they don't bottle either of those and it's about a 2500 mile drive from here to PDX. I'm partial to Scotch style anyway, Kilt Lifter is a perennial fave.

Only seasonals I've found on tap up here are Alaskan Winter, so-so, and Sierra Nevada X-mas.

Whats up with Bridgeport anyway? The Ebeneezer sucks. Hands down the worst seasonal I've tried.

Oh yeah, tried the Pyramid seasonal - Snowcap I think it's called. Pretty tasty.

bunglehead said:

I like Jubel. It's been pretty consistent since about 96.

I think that's when all the brewers eased back on the pipe. mushsmile.gif

Even better is the limited availability Super Jubel, served on tap at the pub in Bend, especially after playing all day in the snow. Yum.....

bunglehead said:

gslater said:

Even better is the limited availability Super Jubel, served on tap at the pub in Bend, especially after playing all day in the snow. Yum.....

I've heard legends of the Super Jubel. Isn't is supposed to be aged in oak casks or some shizzy?

i was down there the other weekend and they had jubal on nitro...it was goodand all, but i am still holding out for the schmiddties xmas ale!

bigdrink.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

What's this slagging on the Ebenezer?! That shit's a consistent favorite; Bridgeport can do no wrong.

I don't mind saying it: Bridgeport is about the worst of the PDX craft breweries. The IPA is pretty good, the ESB is pretty good, but the TG IPA puts it to shame (that might not be fair because the TG IPA puts them all to shame), and quite a few ESBs shame theirs as well. The Ebeneezer is thin for a winter seasonal;, and doesn't stand up to bottling well ends up being overcarbonated or something, might be better on tap, but I've not had it on tap.

I just wish I could find a good local porter or stout. Alaskan Oatmeal Stout is medicore at best, and the porter has been in short supply in kegs since I got here. The Alaskan seasonal smoked porter is out, but I've yet to tilt one.

Anyone had the FireStation No. 5 stuff? Saw their porter in the store on sale, and noticed it was from PDX. I'd not heard of it before.

Second the Jolly Roger. Be careful with that one, though. pitty.gif Deciptively lite for "high test" as our Cehnehdehehn friends say. mushsmile.gif

Dick's Brewing in (of all places Centralia) makes a pretty good seasonal called the Double Diamonnd. 8.5% makes it a contender with the Jolly Roger.

La Conner Tannebaum is also pretty tasty- much more like a meal than a beer though. wave.gif