how to open wine bottle

scott

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is insane... You want to be able to recork the bottle and you don't want little pieces of cork in your wine. I'd rather slab my wife's butt than a wine bottle's.

Just get out the old whisper lite stove, "far it up", as we used to say in Texas, and set that wine bottle on it.

No stove? No problem - the block of an internal combustion engine works well too. hellno3d.gif

russ said:

David_Parker said:

Alpine_Tom said:

You can hold it on its side and gently, repeatedly, bang the base of the bottle against the wall. The cork will gradually work its way out.

I lost a bet once while traveling in Europe. A very large German named Helmut bet me he could open a bottle of wine without using a corkscrew, breaking the bottle or pushing the cork into the bottle. I accepted and he proceeded to smack the butt of the bottle repeatedly with a very large and powerful hand. The cork slowly inched it's way out until it protruded enough for Helmut to grab it and pull it out. Later, while skiing on a glacier we had the same dilemma. With gloved hands we tried to repeat Helmut's stunt, but it hurt too much. I think we used a sneaker and smacked it with that until the cork came out enough for us to grab it. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

My climbing partner tried the hold & smack method a few years ago, about a week before we were suppose to climb Stuart. Bottle shattered - sliced finger tendon - end of climbing season. frown.gif

Thump it against the wall, people! Not your hand, the wall! And you can hold it in a towel, to be safe.

Sheesh.

Alpine_Tom said:

russ said:

David_Parker said:

Alpine_Tom said:

You can hold it on its side and gently, repeatedly, bang the base of the bottle against the wall. The cork will gradually work its way out.

I lost a bet once while traveling in Europe. A very large German named Helmut bet me he could open a bottle of wine without using a corkscrew, breaking the bottle or pushing the cork into the bottle. I accepted and he proceeded to smack the butt of the bottle repeatedly with a very large and powerful hand. The cork slowly inched it's way out until it protruded enough for Helmut to grab it and pull it out. Later, while skiing on a glacier we had the same dilemma. With gloved hands we tried to repeat Helmut's stunt, but it hurt too much. I think we used a sneaker and smacked it with that until the cork came out enough for us to grab it. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

My climbing partner tried the hold & smack method a few years ago, about a week before we were suppose to climb Stuart. Bottle shattered - sliced finger tendon - end of climbing season. frown.gif

Thump it against the wall, people! Not your hand, the wall! And you can hold it in a towel, to be safe.

Sheesh.

Watch it these days guys, the bottle manufactuers have been making weak bottles to stifle the bottle washing industry that serviced the smaller vineyards. The big guys don't like losing any market share. The bottles in Europe are probably much thicker.

Why the hell is this thread going on and on... confused.gif

browntoe98 said:

Just get out the old whisper lite stove, "far it up", as we used to say in Texas, and set that wine bottle on it.

No stove? No problem - the block of an internal combustion engine works well too. hellno3d.gif

I wouldn't recommend this for a good bottle of wine, as the high temperatures could (and probably would) alter the flavor and character of the wine. Might be fine for the cheap stuff.

Thinker said:

browntoe98 said:

I wouldn't recommend this for a good bottle of wine, as the high temperatures could (and probably would) alter the flavor and character of the wine. Might be fine for the cheap stuff.

it will kill it! why doyou think cellars are temp and humidity controlled!?! yellaf.gif if you have ever tasted a wine that got too hot in shipping you know what i mean. hellno3d.gif

Beck said:

...if you buy table wine by the 4 liter jug for 'table wine' in europe, it will have a screw cap. italy has a colloqualism for them, i believe

Literally, it would be "vino di tavola", but I've also heard these gems of libation referred to as "bomboli", which literally translated means something like a 5-gallon propane cylinder over here.