how to open wine bottle

scott

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Grasp base of bottle firmly. Bring it to bear at the edge of a table or kitchen counter. Make a hard smack of bottle neck on said edge. Bottle will now be open. The trick is to enact a break high enough up the neck so as to minimize the loss of the sumptuous liquid inside.

Hello capitalist!

Speaking of Thunderbird, it's getting harder to find these days. The chain mini-marts(am pm, 7-11, etc.) don't carry it, some of larger grocery stores don't have it, and it's even outlawed at Pioneer Square. Guess I'll have to start drinking lighter fluid.

Thank you for allow oriental to post.

the short simple answer to 'how to open a wine bottle' is suck. hard.

you can do it with a pocket knief blade by sticking it in kina sideways then lifting it out. if you can get the cork moving by twisting it will come out easier. note: i have only successfully done this a couple times and have mangled a lot of corks trying. but you already prolly got the bottle open by now. bigdrink.gif

ehmmic said:

You live way too close to the Boone's Farm and Thunderbird manufacturer to weigh in on this issue.

Just push said cork into said bottle and enjoy!

You're right about proximity, but I had to weigh in. How people can drink that rot I'll never know. Actually I prefer the Napa / Sonoma labels. And you are right, just push the cork in, pour a glass (or three), sit back and enjoy.

lummox said:

the short simple answer to 'how to open a wine bottle' is suck. hard.

you can do it with a pocket knief blade by sticking it in kina sideways then lifting it out. if you can get the cork moving by twisting it will come out easier. note: i have only successfully done this a couple times and have mangled a lot of corks trying. but you already prolly got the bottle open by now. bigdrink.gif

Now if you decide to try to suck out the cork, consider letting our boy Cracked have a crack at it. I'm pretty sure he could do it ('cause he thinks Molly Ringwald is ugly).

AlpineK said:

On a side note. All the very best wine is now stored in screwcap bottles. Corks fail a lot more often then screwcaps. Prejudice will keep corks around for a while though.

True...true..or have plastic corks (at least the NZ and Aussie ones do). For a great screwtop wine check out something from Bonnie Doon winery down in Santa Cruz. Their Cardinal Zin is awesome!

You can hold it on its side and gently, repeatedly, bang the base of the bottle against the wall. The cork will gradually work its way out. It takes a while (ten minutes or more) and you do need to be careful not to break the bottle and cut yourself (and loose the wine!) I don't know if it'd affect the quality of a "good" wine, but that's not usually an issue for me.