Rock Fall is gonna kill us all

dberdinka

A month ago I hefted a 60 lb bag of aid gear onto my back and stumbled up to the Upper Town Wall all intent on climbing Steal Pole Bathtub. I scrambled up to a ledge maybe 30' off the ground and stood there looking at the start of the climb, a 15' tall left-facing, left-leaning corner system ending at a small roof where a diagonal crack continues up and left.

The confidence I had felt that morning was quickly replaced with abundant self-doubt. "Boy, the rock looks shitty and I'm kinda tired, that second pitch looks sketch, what am I doing here by myself again? Uhhh...I'm scared" So with tale between my legs I wandered off to climb something more familiar, questioning my decision for the rest of the day.

Fast forward to yesterday. A buddy and I hike up to the Upper Town Wall to do a little free climbing. A 2' x 3' x 6' block of rock is laying in the trail just below the wall. More, larger blocks are piled up near by. Scanning the wall, I realize the entire left facing corner (the start of Steal Pole Bathtub) has fallen out in a chunk at least 3 feet thick! The ledge at it's start is covered in knee deep blocks.

This all happened prior to this weeks freeze. So I don't see any real mechanism for this other than "it's time had come". I shudder to think what might have happened had I started up that climb, weighing cams behind the now absent corner, or worse yet slamming a few pins in behind it. I would have been squished like a bug!

Why didn't I climb it? Through years and years of climbing have I developed an innate sixth sense that guides me from danger, that prevents me from exposing myself to objective hazards I'm not consciously aware off? I DON'T THINK SO! I think I just got frigging lucky. Climbing IS Dangerous, there ain't no two ways about it. We can triple check our knots, dig avi-pits on every aspect, start climbing at 2AM, only climb granite, whatever. There will always be risks we can't predict, quantify or mitigate. The longer we stay at it the more likely rock fall's gonna kill us all.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scary story! I experienced the same thing though not as immediate as yours perhaps. Climbing the Curious Cube at Static Point I was amazed at the awesome sharp horizontal cracks and thin sharp flakes I was finding there. I was hoping that this wasn't all loose and ready to go since you just don't seem to find such nice crackage at Static. Came back the next year and noticed the giant white scar that was where I had climbed. Though mine was much more likely to be freeze thaw than yours, it did get me thinking. Also got me thinking was the fallen tree lying across the approach trail that had rap slings around its base.

link

The longer we stay at it the more likely rock fall's gonna kill us all.

A true statement, but couldn't the same thing be said about driving, smoking and eating at McDonald's?

My main purpose is replying to this post is so that I could link up our monkey avatars!

Sheesh, I'm glad you are okay. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if there was an earthquake or something at the very moment I'm attached to the rock precariously on a ledge. That could happen!

But you can't worry about that stuff too much, or all the things that COULD happen, you could die in your own living room during an earthquake!

Remember there are no bold and old climbers, there are just old climbers. Not that you were being bold, but good job turning away from it when it didn't feel right!

Junebug said:

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if there was an earthquake or something at the very moment I'm attached to the rock precariously on a ledge. That could happen!

I think a couple regular cc.comers were climbing at Index during the March 2001 quake. Pretty scary from what I recall.

I was looking up at Shirley on the Lower Town wall last Sunday. Thought it'd be a fun practice pitch. Thought about the rockfall that Dr. Jay had last year while trying the pitch...then noticed another big block right at the base of the route that looked very recent. I said hellno3d.gif and just wandered around for the rest of the afternoon.

Junebug said:

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if there was an earthquake or something at the very moment I'm attached to the rock precariously on a ledge.

Check out ANAM a few years back, there was an earthquake-rock-climbing incident. I don't think anyone was hurt though?

D,

Glad you were spared. Pretty spooky Hween note. As an actuary, not to mention a climber, you should have a sense of quantifying risks better than any of the rest of us.

In Belize I had a tarantula run across my bare foot while I was walking in tall grass. Course it didn't bite me, but we both were rather startled.

One day our numbers will be called - who knows when?

R

Al_Pine said:

The longer we stay at it the more likely rock fall's gonna kill us all.

A true statement, but couldn't the same thing be said about driving, smoking and eating at McDonald's?

My main purpose is replying to this post is so that I could link up our monkey avatars!

I've watched two people die climbing. I've yet to witness anyone burning up in flames on the road, keeling over with a smoke between their lips or choking on a QP. As much as I want to believe that climbing's as safe as anything else....It ain't!

Monkey avatars rule!!!!!!!

Hi Rad wave.gif

I've had more opportunity to ponder about rock fall while belaying rather than climbing. I remember belaying on Sam n' Cams at Sam Hill in Leavenworth. The thought kept going through my head that the large rock flake (hollowing sounding) would break and fall on my feet to chop my toes off. frown.gif

ScottP said:

I've always wondered how many people grabbed and pulled out on the mattress-sized flake that used to grace the post-crux moves of Princely Ambitions.

isn't the skecthy flake on pa right at the crux or just before. Someone got a red tcu stuck in the flake this summer. Unless there are two stechy flakes. I pull on the flake i'm talking about.

dberdinka said:

This all happened prior to this weeks freeze. So I don't see any real mechanism for this other than "it's time had come".

Or - the torrential rainstorms that probably had a huge waterfall coming down the entire Upper Town wall a week ago created enough water rushing out of every crack and crevice that the immense force knocked the previoulsy loose blocks down - and created even more DEATH COOKIES in the process!

I ain't scared fruit.gif

ehmmic said:

Junebug said:

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if there was an earthquake or something at the very moment I'm attached to the rock precariously on a ledge. That could happen!

I think a couple regular cc.comers were climbing at Index during the March 2001 quake. Pretty scary from what I recall.

I was looking up at Shirley on the Lower Town wall last Sunday. Thought it'd be a fun practice pitch. Thought about the rockfall that Dr. Jay had last year while trying the pitch...then noticed another big block right at the base of the route that looked very recent. I said hellno3d.gif and just wandered around for the rest of the afternoon.

My friend Rob was at the top of Davis Holland when the Nisqually earthquake happened. He said shit was coming down all over the place, but not a grain of sand came down onto them.

some years ago 2 climbers were on the petit dru in chamonix when they felt rumblings and the entire pillar moving. they had a cell, called for help and were plucked off by a chopper (like i said--cham). A couple of days later a block came down with enough force to register on the richter scale. not too long after a russian (valerie babanov--babanov.com) climbed a new route on the scarred face!

Junebug said:

Sheesh, I'm glad you are okay. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if there was an earthquake or something at the very moment I'm attached to the rock precariously on a ledge. That could happen!

My brother-in-law & I were on Godzilla during the earthquake a couple of years ago. He was belaying me from the anchors, I was just below on a small ledge when it hit. Granite basically turned to the consistancy of Jello. Cracks expanding & contracting right before our eyes and the whole wall kinda waving & warbling. Massive rockfall ocurred to the right & left of us, but not on top of us. This is the most scared I have ever been, and we both pretty much thought we'd be seeing each other on the other side. The next day I drove out to Frenchman's Coulee to meet some friends. I seriously expected to see columns laying on their side, but all was intact. At least as intact as it usually is.

As freaking scary as this event was, it never crossed my mind to stop climbing or anything. I mean, what are the chances it will happen again?

Norsky said:

What's the biggest rockfall when bouldering? A few pebbles as a microflake pulls off? Bird, back me up on this.

In the film No Strings Attached you can gape in awe as Brian Goldstone pulls off a huge block and nearly kills Scott Milton who's spotting him yellaf.gif

Dru said:

Norsky said:

What's the biggest rockfall when bouldering? A few pebbles as a microflake pulls off? Bird, back me up on this.

In the film No Strings Attached you can gape in awe as Brian Goldstone pulls off a huge block and nearly kills Scott Milton who's spotting him yellaf.gif

Take that all you alpine elitists!

eric8 said:

ScottP said:

I've always wondered how many people grabbed and pulled out on the mattress-sized flake that used to grace the post-crux moves of Princely Ambitions.

isn't the skecthy flake on pa right at the crux or just before. Someone got a red tcu stuck in the flake this summer. Unless there are two stechy flakes. I pull on the flake i'm talking about.

Eric, the flake that fell was after the traverse right, where I normally pop in a green alien on a double before traversing back left again

I went for a run up Little Si yesterday and noticed a huge rockslide just past the climbing areas. I haven't been up there for a least a year or so, but this looked pretty fresh. Anybody know when this came down?

It wasn't where anyone climbs, but it wasn't far away.

There are some big blocks that have come off during bouldering! When I was going out to goldbar a lot and climbing/cleaning we pulled off a few huge things.

We cleaned up one problem and tried to get this flake off with a crowbar and it wouldn't move so we called it good. Climbed it the next day and it fell off while standing on it, about 24"x40"x3"