house on fire: whataya take as you run away?

lummox

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lummox said:

i ask this on the climber forum because id grab my gear (rock ice and alpine shiznit: two packs worth) passport and a few other documents. and my insurance agents phone number. grin.gif

but oddly enough when you call your agent....all your gear was consumed in the flames!

cry.gifevils3d.gifhahaha.gif

bunglehead said:

Well, if it was only what I could carry, I'd grab my guitar, my amp, my pedals, my doggy, and a copy of Spinoza that was a gift from my father. And a hat.

Insurance on the rest... cool.gif

I think you might burn up trying to grab all that! hellno3d.gifsnaf.gif

iain said:

photographs

I'd be leavin' those in the fire-rated safe downstairs. But for some odd reason I wouldn't trust the passports, birth/adoption certificates, and insurance papers in there. Would just feel better having those things with us.

TIGHE said:

bunglehead said:

Well, if it was only what I could carry, I'd grab my guitar, my amp, my pedals, my doggy, and a copy of Spinoza that was a gift from my father. And a hat.

Insurance on the rest... cool.gif

I think you might burn up trying to grab all that! hellno3d.gifsnaf.gif

Yeah, except I've got my music rig wired so I can carry my amp, my pedals and my axe in one carry. My dog can take care of hisself... cool.gif

Depends on how much notice I have. If there's a fire evac and time, I'd grab my wallet, cell phone, photos/slides, CDs, computer, and climbing gear.

If I don't have time 'cause I wake up in the middle of the night with a fire alarm and smoke. I'd probably just grab my bathrobe and slippers and GTFO.

a few years ago i was living in apartment building. i was in the shower when the fire alarm went off shocked.gif building was filled with smoke. all i had time to grab was my comforter to wrap around me (where was my bathrobe confused.gif) and my kid's hand. i stood in the parking lot for 45 minutes like that.

the good news it turned out to be nothing but a lot of smoke. very scary though!

1. The short file cabinets with all the important insurance and personal info

2. Photos

3. Music

4. Clothing (too many irreplaceable black T-shirts!)

5. Computer tower

From there, pretty much anything and everything near an egress point, i.e. the big-ass painting over the couch, the hi-fi kit, books, furniture, etc. Just break out the nearest window and start hucking shit out of it. If it breaks, oh well; woulda burned anyhow. If you can save it, then jackpot!

"we don't need no water,

let the motherfucker burn!"

I figger that lummox was prolly referring to those poor folks caught in the wildfires in CA when he started this thread, but I'm curious about smaller fires (ones that we ourselves might have some control over). So, how many of you have installed fire extinguishers in your living space?

For years, I went about dumb and happy with a smoke alarm on each floor. Even after we got married, that was still the status quo. But immediately after we brought our little boy back from Vietnam, I ran right on down to Costco and bought the First Alert fire extinguisher 2-pack, and installed one in the (attached) garage and the washer/dryer utility rooms. Not feeling like I had done everything I could, I went back and bought another 2-pack and put one in the living room near the fireplace, and one at the top of the stairwell near the bedrooms.

STILL not feeling like I had done all I could, I bought another, smaller unit and installed it in the kitchen within easy reach of the oven. My house may look like an advertisement for First Alert and Kidde, but I feel better about being able to snuff a blaze that otherwise would get out of control quickly. Has anybody else gone this far over the edge protecting their loved ones and stuff? Or an I just being paranoid? confused.gifcantfocus.gif