Favorite places to get weathered on

JoshK

So this weekend I have some strange urge to pack up a bunch of shit and go walk and camp out in the rain for 2 days and just generally make myself miserable. I did this in the enchantments 2 years ago,and there was something fun about bunkering down in 80mph gusts and not being able to walk straight.

Besides the enchantments, who else has favorite places where they think they could have a good time getting pissed on by mother nature?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked and matt, good calls! I actually did a similar weather beating on baker two years ago too! And hood the winter before that! Rainer is always fun, but I guess I was thinking of something non-volcanic for the scenery factor. I know; sounds stupid considering I won't be able to see very far anyway, but the enchantments were pretty sweet looking in the bad weather anyway! I figure there has to be some other high and nasty places like that which would make a fun time.

It's too bad the FL is going up to 10k, considering the recent rain I bet another few days of this would make for some decent skiing at 6k and up.

The coast can be a fun place to get weathered. If you hike in at Cape Alava and head south for a ways you get away from the day trippers and catch some serious solitude. I have been there for days without seeing a single person. It is more of a drive than you may be looking for, though.

you should consider an approach with a bushwack for what is more fun than crashing through wet brush? something like nooksack cirque would be good. the current rain should insure that you can't walk up the creek and avoid the alder. just imagine the cold water running down the small of your back .... yum!

hey while i think of it, bring skis. you just don't know what conditions you'll find there. smile.gif

j_b said:

you should consider an approach with a bushwack for what is more fun than crashing through wet brush? something like nooksack cirque would be good. the current rain should insure that you can't walk up the creek and avoid the alder. just imagine the cold water running down the small of your back .... yum!

hey while i think of it, bring skis. you just don't know what conditions you'll find there. smile.gif

what j-b said no wetting is complete without crawling through wet prickle bushes and snow covered slide alders pitty.gif

If you just want to get pissed on, just go to index.

It seems like one little cloud has always hung over that place.

Start watching Renner's little doppler blip. Clear state but sprinklin' at index. Stays wet way more days than N. Bend.

Did they ever get rid of that REI storm simulator to test new rain shells? Did they ever actually let anyone try it?

I don't know about that Jens. I have had a couple good days of climbing at index where there been scatter showers.

Josh I would head up near eldorado. Maybe even take skis head over to kwatti (sorry i can't spell) check out that couloir on eldo. Or if you really want to suffer go to imperfect impasse.

Here's a good sufferfest for ya:

Hike the trail in to Boston Basin to the base of Torment. Turn around and instead of heading back to the trail, head straight down the hill through the slide alder and devils club. Bring a rope 'cause you'll have the added bonus of some sketchy rapells--even more fun in the rain. You'll be out overnight. I guarantee it.

Few places on earth offer the conditions of Mt. Washington NH in winter.

I've been there three times in late January and found it to be surreal each time. Winds so fast and loud that you cannot hear those standing right next to you as the SCREAM in your ear. blush.gif Winds so strong you often are forced to crawl. cantfocus.gif Cold...holy shit cold. shocked.gif

It is defintely not a place to play around. hellno3d.gif Beautiful environment, but very deadly. cantfocus.gif If you want to boxing_smiley.gif mother nature, check it out.

Edited by Rodchester

Rodchester said:

Few places on earth offer the conditions of Mt. Washington NH in winter.

Or spring,summer or fall for that matter. I have seen it pretty harsh up there in the middle of summer.

Josh, my vote for what you are looking for would be up towards terror basin. Fairly good trail and cool wanderings higher up. All peaks are low enough so you could prolly catch some cool views with the wind and clouds.

JoshK said:

So this weekend I have some strange urge to pack up a bunch of shit and go walk and camp out in the rain for 2 days and just generally make myself miserable.

Does this mean that come Monday you're gonna be bitching about the weatherman again if it turns out to be nice up there? wink.gif