I know what you did last summer.

wayne

people are scared... well at least people can't say that this site isn't a fuckin riot yelrotflmao.gif be afraid be very afraid, and you know what i wouldn't wanna hear some pussy ass trip report from one of the bitches anyway... waaaaaaa, hows that for positivness you little cunts... just kiddin smirk.gif i love all climbers and would read your lovely trip reports- please oh please post-for me-bp

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 350 posts in 2.5 years, Matt. It's not like I make a habbit of rippin on folks, for the most part I agree with you. Perhaps I'm a bit of a hypocrite cause I won't post anything I have done for some of the same reasons, but golly, sometimes the door is just left too wide open.

-slap bigdrink.gif

Many of them complained about the mean-spirited rhetoric on this site, and several said that because of this they would not post a trip report and were pretty much afraid to post at all.

I don't see any cases on this site where people have been flamed or subjected to mean spirited rhetoric for just posting a trip report confused.gif

There are certainly cases where blatant chestbeating has been called such as in the cases of people 1) bragging about how good an area is, but refusing to indicate where it is; 2) claiming basically that the route they did is the best route ever climbed in the whole Cascades with a big "You suck" to everyone who was not part of the ascent; 3) wildly inflating grades or difficulty. I would hope that these actions would tend to keep people honest and modest instead of over the top and padding their resumes.

BUT THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT TRs ANYWAY!!! It is all about retro-chestbeating about stuff we already chestbeat about this summer and now want an extra helping of pectoral bruise for. rolleyes.gif I don't see any TRs posted to this thread.

If we REALLY wanted some chestbeating potential it would be more like "What are your 3 big objectives for the winter" in other words advance chestbeating. Then 1) the project is out in the open and available to steal; 2) big talkers can get called on it when 6 months later they haven't done what they said they did.

Now on with the boxing_smiley.gif and Matt, please try to stay on topic in the future tongue.gifsnaf.gif

The only mean spirited stuff is in spray. The other forums are for the most part clear. Whatchu talkin bout matt? If the lurkers stay outta spray they should never have any anguish or hassles. You trying to tell me Spray ruins the whole site? Bullshit - just avoid the spray forum...is that so tough?

holds the site back from what? i take shit you take shit we take shit, this site benefits from having a sense of humor, those without one can play withemselves, people should stop taking everything so fuckin seriously. laugh its o.k., and if someone talks shit you cry.gif change your daipers and move on... trask taught me this lesson, and this sites as good for you as you make it-bp

I must agree with Dru on this - most, if not all of the serious threads I have started in the climbing forum have been responded to in a civil manner. People around here just don't take well to subversive antics, bullshit one-upmanship, and as Dru said, retro-chestbeating about their favorite sport. GOOD! thumbs_up.gif

Give your posts outside of spray some careful consideration about what your real intent is and generally you will do fine.

Dru said:I don't see any cases on this site where people have been flamed or subjected to mean spirited rhetoric for just posting a trip report confused.gif

I'm not up to date on this thread, but this jumped out at me and I had to respond. The most extreme case that comes to mind was CrazyPolishBob's riposte to Will Strickland's TR of a Yosemite trip. The jewel of the debacle was Will's referring to Lunatic Fringe as "relentless" and Bob let him have what for in graphic and abusive detail for calling a 10c crack done 30 some years ago relentless. I'm sure the diligent could find the thread, but for me it forever attached a connotation that comes to mind anytime I hear the word "relentless" in any context at all. Its not to say that Bob did not have a point, it's hardly a grade to be boasting about in the modern age (although I'd feel pleased with myself over it), it was the assault on a lovely trip report about an outing that pushed someone's personal standards that acid etched the thing in me. There are other examples I'm sure, but none have stuck with me quite as vividly.

as a footnote, Bob is amongst us again these days, and while he will still post the same opinion, it's done in a less personal manner, and the concept is well worth debate.

And as for being on topic, I did fuck-all in the climbing realm this summer, though I did get up a fun alpine route with my son that we were happy to do in two days, though some do it in one.

Mr E, the people who complain about subversive antics or one-upmanship or whatever are often those most guilty of same. You are right, though, that in general a serious thread will be respected - though I think only because there are moderators hovering around - and I told some of those thin-skinned folks at the ropeup that they are taking things too seriously if a joke about their newbie status or whatever was too threatening for them.

trask said:

"We make war that we may live in peace."

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant

Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume

Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya

'Bout the raising of the wrist.

Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,

On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--

Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle.

Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And René Descartes was a drunken fart.

'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,

A lovely little thinker,

But a bugger when he's pissed

wave.gif

[

Dru said:I don't see any cases on this site where people have been flamed or subjected to mean spirited rhetoric for just posting a trip report confused.gif

Dru's full of shit. In addition to the example that Off-White cited, there is the more recent example of the guy posting his TR of Hood wherein he stated he rode a snow cat up and he got all kids of flamage for taking the ride--justifiable or not, its these kinds of attacks that shy people away.

Another example: who could ever forget the torrent of flames over Strickland's "on-site" of Leuthold Couloir? Unfortunate choice of language for sure--but the flames were relentless (and I was a guilty party as well).

A thought: rather than flame people in their TR's how about discussing the offending comment, posture or whatever in Spray? This would keep the other forums 'cleaner'.

okay i hope i don't get flamed for this but here my top 3

1: Going on a climbing rode trip where i didn't climbed shit but made some good friends and saw some cool areas

2: The time Gary and I spent at index this summer.

3: convincing my sporto friend to buy a rack without ever telling him to buy one.

eric8 said:

okay i hope i don't get flamed for this but here my top 3

1: Going on a climbing rode trip where i didn't climbed shit but made some good friends and saw some cool areas

Correction. You spent two months driving up through BC and Canada and didn't climb ANYTHING! yellaf.gif

3: convincing my sporto friend to buy a rack without ever telling him to buy one.

It still amazes me how we've been climbing together for a year and you still don't know me. smirk.gif

RBW, I think Dru knows he's full of shit. He is certainly one who feels free to flame people, myself included, in just about any forum on this board -- and he certainly doesn't hold back when he thinks the author of a route report was cheastbeating or something. He may think that the whiners around here are too thin-skinned, but I don't think he can honestly say that you won't be flamed for posting a route report.