ANTI CYCLIST BULLSHIT

Dave_Schuldt

mr.radon said:

First the jerk in the van tried to run them off the road as he passed. In other words squeezed them between the guard rail and his car. You ever been on the Ridge road in RMNP? Nice drop off.

Second the jerk's wife threw the contents of her soda drink on several of the riders as they pulled this wonderful maneuver.

A co-worker was one of the individuals. The jerk deserved to have a few tail-lights knocked out and hadn't he gotten out of the car everything would have been fine. Maybe the cyclists shouldn't have stopped when he did, but if I'm ever in the situation like that I'll take the guy out so he can't follow me any further in his car.

As far as I'm concerned, while on a bike any hostile actions by a car should be considered a "Threat with a deadly weapon". Give the jerk a wide berth, take down his license number, pull out the cell phone and call the cops. If possible follow the car at a safe distance, then when they're stopped make judicious use of the U-lock so the cops have something to write a ticket on. I love BMW's.

You're a dick. Yeah, the van driver was an asshole. But all he fucking did was honk. Like that's a crime. rolleyes.gif Take his plate number and report him. Assault or damage to a vehicle is not justified in a case like this. You self-righteous dicks make me sick. madgo_ron.gifthe_finger.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Oregon, bicycles have the confusing distinction of being considered as both vehicles and pedestrians. In other words, they are supposed to follow the rules of the road ascribed to drivers as well but cars should treat them as pedestrians.

Cops in Portland are not afraid to ticket cyclists either for pulling stupid shit like running lights, riding in the dark without lights etc. A friend of mine got a ticket yesterday for riding in the dark without a light and almost got a DUI for riding while intoxicated.

Is it being a self-righteous dick to want to retaliate against someone who risks your life? I've been on both ends of the car-bike near misses, more frequently I am the cyclist than not. The time I almost hit a cyclist the idiot was in the crosswalk coming the wrong way and ran the light. He got indignant with me (as he had every right to be since I should have been watching more carefully) however, he was also in the wrong for essentially jaywalking.

This debate is old and tired. Cyclists should be more cognizant of how their actions are perceived by drivers--for instance riding between cars downtown, running red lights etc only serve to increase tensions between cars and cyclists. Drivers should be more aware of giving cyclists a wide berth on roads.

rbw1966 said:

In Oregon, bicycles have the confusing distinction of being considered as both vehicles and pedestrians. In other words, they are supposed to follow the rules of the road ascribed to drivers as well but cars should treat them as pedestrians.

Cops in Portland are not afraid to ticket cyclists either for pulling stupid shit like running lights, riding in the dark without lights etc. A friend of mine got a ticket yesterday for riding in the dark without a light and almost got a DUI for riding while intoxicated.

Is it being a self-righteous dick to want to retaliate against someone who risks your life? I've been on both ends of the car-bike near misses, more frequently I am the cyclist than not. The time I almost hit a cyclist the idiot was in the crosswalk coming the wrong way and ran the light. He got indignant with me (as he had every right to be since I should have been watching more carefully) however, he was also in the wrong for essentially jaywalking.

This debate is old and tired. Cyclists should be more cognizant of how their actions are perceived by drivers--for instance riding between cars downtown, running red lights etc only serve to increase tensions between cars and cyclists. Drivers should be more aware of giving cyclists a wide berth on roads.

AMEN! thumbs_up.gif

In the WA Driver Guide this is what is stated in the Right of Way section.

"Right-Of-Way

There will be many times when you will need to slow down or stop your vehicle to allow another vehicle, pedestrian, or bicyclist to continue safely. Even if there are no signs or signals to regulate traffic, there are laws governing who must yield the right-of-way.

The law says who must yield the right-of-way; it does not give anyone the right-of-way. You must do everything you can to prevent striking a pedestrian, on foot or in a wheelchair, or another vehicle, regardless of the circumstances.

For their own safety, pedestrians should walk toward oncoming traffic and off the roadway. You should be ready to yield to pedestrians in case they step into your path.

The following right-of-way rules apply at intersections:

Pedestrians and bicyclists have the right-of-way at crosswalks and intersections whether the crosswalk is marked or not. Drivers must yield where necessary to avoid striking pedestrians and bicyclists who are crossing the road.

Vehicles must stop if a pedestrian or bicyclist is in their half of the roadway.

Vehicles must stop if a pedestrian or bicyclist is within one lane of their half of the roadway.

Once the pedestrian or bicyclist is beyond one lane of their half of the roadway, the vehicles may go.

Drivers crossing a sidewalk while entering or exiting a driveway, alley or parking lot must stop and yield to pedestrians. It is illegal to drive on a sidewalk except to cross it.

Pedestrians using a guide dog or carrying a white cane have absolute right-of-way. Do not use your horn as it could confuse or frighten the blind pedestrian.

Drivers turning left must yield to oncoming vehicles and pedestrians and bicyclists.

Drivers entering a roundabout must yield to drivers already in the circle.

At an intersection where there is no stop sign, yield sign or traffic signal, drivers must yield to vehicles in the intersection and to those coming from the right.

At a four-way stop, the driver reaching the intersection first, goes first (after coming to a complete stop). If more than one vehicle arrives at the same time, the vehicle on the right goes first.

Drivers entering a road from a driveway, alley, parking lot or roadside must yield to vehicles already on the main road.

Drivers must not enter an intersection unless they can get through it without having to stop. You should wait until traffic ahead clears so you are not blocking the intersection.

Drivers passing a vehicle going in the same direction must be ready to yield in case the other driver suddenly turns, slows down or stops.

You must yield the right-of-way to trains crossing the roadway.

You must yield the right-of-way to a police vehicle, fire engine, ambulance or other emergency vehicle using a siren, air horn or a red or blue flashing light. Pull over to the right edge of the road, or as near to the right as possible, and stop when you see or hear an emergency vehicle approaching from any direction. If you are in an intersection, drive through the intersection before you pull over. If the light is red, stay where you are. Follow any instructions given over the emergency vehicle's loudspeaker.

You must stop for a school bus that is stopped with its red lights flashing whether it is on your side of the road, the opposite side of the road, or at an intersection you are approaching. You are not required to stop for a school bus with red lights flashing when the stopped school bus is traveling in the opposite direction and the roadway:

- has three or more marked traffic lanes,

- is separated by a median, or

- is separated by a physical barrier.

After the school bus red lights have stopped flashing, watch for children along the side of the road and do not proceed until they have completely left the roadway.

You must yield to any transit vehicle (bus) that has signaled and is pulling back onto the roadway. "

but where are the laws to be noted???

i noted the bicycle laws and it says that if the cyclist is at the cross walk or the sidewalk they are pedestrians. so it would be mean if they were on the roadway then they must abide by vehicle traffic laws.

cite your laws!!!!!

The WA Driver Guide (the guide you get when you go to get your license in WA, published by the state) takes into account the relevant state laws and summarizes them in a readable form.

So bikes have the same rights and responsibilities as cars when on the roadway. What's so hard to understand about that? Bikes have a right to the whole lane they're in, but cyclists ride close to the edge of the lane when they can to let cars pass them more easily. Cyclists are doing a courtesy to other drivers by taking up as little space as they can, but we have the right to ride right down the middle of the lane if it's too narrow or dangerous for passing or if there are too many sketchy parked cars (getting car-doored sucks!).

Sphinx said:

You're a dick. Yeah, the van driver was an asshole. But all he fucking did was honk. Like that's a crime. rolleyes.gif Take his plate number and report him. Assault or damage to a vehicle is not justified in a case like this. You self-righteous dicks make me sick. madgo_ron.gifthe_finger.gif

No, like he said, the passenger threw a drink at one of the cyclists, which is assault, and the driver tried to run them off the road, which has to be a crime, as well (reckless driving? attempted murder?).

Beating some dude up because of all this is not a great idea, but you can't say the driver and passenger don't deserve lawful punishment for that kind of bullshit. The fact is, cars (and larger vehicles) are much more dangerous to bikes than they are to other cars, so drivers have the responsibility to avoid them just like they do pedestrians.

I'm all for special licensing requirements for RV drivers, too, especially since so many old people drive them. I drove my dad's 40-footer this summer, and it was fucking scary.

slothrop said:

The WA Driver Guide (the guide you get when you go to get your license in WA, published by the state) takes into account the relevant state laws and summarizes them in a readable form.

So bikes have the same rights and responsibilities as cars when on the roadway. What's so hard to understand about that? Bikes have a right to the whole lane they're in, but cyclists ride close to the edge of the lane when they can to let cars pass them more easily. Cyclists are doing a courtesy to other drivers by taking up as little space as they can, but we have the right to ride right down the middle of the lane if it's too narrow or dangerous for passing or if there are too many sketchy parked cars (getting car-doored sucks!).

That's about it. Use the lane if you have to, get outta the way when you can. Doing my usual 20 mi home on the bike today. Great weather, but you know it will not last.

I ride to work every day, rain or shine.

Funny sort-of-related story:

Good friend of mine had a 1969 Firebird that he inherited from his dad who died when he was young. His mom kept it garaged until Mike turned 21 and then it was his. Mike spent many many hours and dollars restoring that car to its original condition, had the motor balanced, new paint everything. It was a piece of art when done. I helped him move from his house in Lake Oswego to a place on Sylvan and was driving his truck loaded with his crap as he drove his firebird. He was 4 cars in front of me as we pulled from 217 onto 26. Traffic was backed up and this asshole swerved around the line of stopped cars and cut off Mike, barely missing the front bumer and causing Mike to slam on hi brakes. Mike honked at him and the guy gave him the finger. Mike hops out of his firebird and walks up to this yahoos window. The guy trys to throw open the door of his car and Mike slams it closed, reaches inside and grabs the guy by the collar and punches him twice in the face before walking calmly back to his car. As I watched all this go down from 4 cars back several people got out of their cars and applauded.

It was beautiful.

Ha, another unrelated stupid driver story- a few years ago I was crossing the street in Boston (w/ a walk signal) and this guy tries to blow through before myself and all the others headed for the trains get in his way. Anyways I was walking the fastest and he almost hits me first but stops a fott away, and starts screaming at me. I gave him the finger and hocked the biggest lougie on his driver side window. Fucker gets so irate that he jumps out of his automatic transmission car without putting it into park. Got three steps towards me before he realized, then got to chasing his car down the road. Unfortunately it didn't hit anything but everyone got quite the laugh smile.gif

b-rock said:

Ha, another unrelated stupid driver story- a few years ago I was crossing the street in Boston (w/ a walk signal) and this guy tries to blow through before myself and all the others headed for the trains get in his way. Anyways I was walking the fastest and he almost hits me first but stops a fott away, and starts screaming at me. I gave him the finger and hocked the biggest lougie on his driver side window. Fucker gets so irate that he jumps out of his automatic transmission car without putting it into park. Got three steps towards me before he realized, then got to chasing his car down the road. Unfortunately it didn't hit anything but everyone got quite the laugh smile.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

rbw1966 said:

Mike honked at him and the guy gave him the finger.

Seems like it's always the asshole driver who pulls the bonehead move who flips me off when it should be the other way around. When someone does something particularly stupid I usually applaud them (mockingly of course, they get the message) or give them a thumbs up sign. That usually really pisses 'em off, and of course I get the finger. madgo_ron.gif

I was driving down South Tacoma Way last week. Two lanes wide. Two bicyclists riding side-by-side, one in each lane blocking traffic about ten cars back in both lanes. I short-honked once and got the finger in return. As I was in my company vehicle and "at work" I didn't push the issue, but it was obvious these two "attitudes on skinny wheels" felt they were somehow superior to the long line of internal combustion engines behind them. Of course, they were in full cycle regalia, and one of them even had a yellow jersey on!

I ride too, but fuckers like this piss me off.

Fairweather,

Fuckers like that will end up road kill one way or the other. It's just a matter of time before they piss off the wrong person. Just a friendly reminder folks, people get run over and shot nowadays. Unless you have shit for brains and a death wish, don't push your luck.

P.S. I'd love to see some cycling pilgrim ride down the middle of the road and hold up traffic on the Darrington Hyway. I personally know some local honyaks that would blow the fucker away. I shit you not.

You guys might be right on the bike laws, but you might end up dead right. I ride a little and have found problems as all of you have stated. Even with a wide shoulder I've had cars, pick-up, and SUVs come mighty close.

On an unrelated thread...WHY does it seem that BC semi-drivers are nearly all ass holes when on the road driving. I've spoken with these guys in coffee shops, restaurants etc and they seem like the average Joe-Doe. Then you put them behind the wheel and on a freeway or the Frazier HiWy and its like they've become possessed. What is this all about?

Fairweather said:

I was driving down South Tacoma Way last week. Two lanes wide. Two bicyclists riding side-by-side, one in each lane blocking traffic about ten cars back in both lanes. I short-honked once and got the finger in return. As I was in my company vehicle and "at work" I didn't push the issue, but it was obvious these two "attitudes on skinny wheels" felt they were somehow superior to the long line of internal combustion engines behind them. Of course, they were in full cycle regalia, and one of them even had a yellow jersey on!

I don't believe you. You're story is too incredible. I believe it's either exaggerated or totally unntrue and made with the intention of inciting anti-cyclist "bullshit". Your post is full of shit.

What do you think about that?

Next time I'll be sure to take a picture.rolleyes.gif These two guys were obviously in a race to the downtown area, and although they were smokin' along pretty good (probably stoked from watching The Tour De France) they were still not moving fast enough to justify their arrogance.

Also, I think you are just another Seattle sport-climber. thumbs_down.gif What do you think about that? moon.gif

Sphinx said:

mr.radon said:

First the jerk in the van tried to run them off the road as he passed. In other words squeezed them between the guard rail and his car. You ever been on the Ridge road in RMNP? Nice drop off.

Second the jerk's wife threw the contents of her soda drink on several of the riders as they pulled this wonderful maneuver.

Who's the dick??? Try reading that again, you seem to be having trouble comprehending it. The bold part is what I am referring to.