How did your day finish up?

Scott_J

Got done subbing. Went home, fed the dog and left for the Stilly. Did not listen to my wife's advice and got skunked. I guess the salmon(silvers, pinks) are farther downstream that I cared to believe. I should know better than to second guess the woman. Been married to her for 32 years and been right about things that we debate less than I care to admit.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Long day of being berated by a hack, made the entire department cranky. Show opening tonight, as usual under a bit of pressure to get it all finished. Day ended with me hauling ass to get one last project done shortly before curtain, at the behest of the road guy, just to be berated by the local lead for basically working hard and doing a good job.

Been through a lot with the hack, but felt today that enough is enough and I don't really want to do the guy any favors. Put this in a context of a live performance though, and no matter how you feel, a show is a collaborative effort, so if you are a pro, you always come back to the fact that the show, to be the best it can be on any given day, has to get the best work you can throw at it. That is what it takes.

So, at the end of my day, I felt a little philosophical about the whole thing. The guy is still a hack, and we still have a show to do. Just the way it is some days.

worked (sort of) until 6:00, then went to meeting of one of the local "advisory committees" that I sit on. Spent about 45 minutes getting everyone worked up about the need to do something about parking lot security in the area. Printed out all the cc.com postings I could find on the subject, and read out a few of the more pointed ones for the group to hear. Your anger and frustration made quite an impression, believe me. Mayor was there, and he's as concerned as any of us, but has limited resources to throw at the problem (District of Squamish is basically broke - like municipal governments everywhere) but will assist in any way they can. Arranged for Staff Sergeant Cliff Dougherty (head of local RCMP detachment - roughly analagous to Sheriff) to appear at next month's meeting to discuss the specifics of the problem - frequency, location, persons responsible, etc., as well as legal angles re what we can and cannot do, what's been tried elsewhere blah blah blah. Hopefully out of that meeting will come some concrete plans for next spring/summer.

Talked about a bunch of other stuff, too, but I won't bore you with the rest of it.

Edited by murraysovereign

Yaking on the phone trying to line up some land purchases of in-holdings on Mt. Hood NF, ordered some maps of the Seward Peninsula for field work in a couple weeks, took my usual long bike route home, 20 mi to burn off some tension. Played with cat at home. Not so bad.

murraysovereign said:

worked (sort of) until 6:00, then went to meeting of one of the local "advisory committees" that I sit on. Spent about 45 minutes getting everyone worked up about the need to do something about parking lot security in the area. Printed out all the cc.com postings I could find on the subject, and read out a few of the more pointed ones for the group to hear. Your anger and frustration made quite an impression, believe me. Mayor was there, and he's as concerned as any of us, but has limited resources to throw at the problem (District of Squamish is basically broke - like municipal governments everywhere) but will assist in any way they can. Arranged for Staff Sergeant Cliff Dougherty (head of local RCMP detachment - roughly analagous to Sheriff) to appear at next month's meeting to discuss the specifics of the problem - frequency, location, persons responsible, etc., as well as legal angles re what we can and cannot do, what's been tried elsewhere blah blah blah. Hopefully out of that meeting will come some concrete plans for next spring/summer.

Talked about a bunch of other stuff, too, but I won't bore you with the rest of it.

thumbs_up.gif

plab. met with graphic designer chicks who do ads for the paper, then my ad saleswoman, then off to lunch and a quick game of pool, then a haircut by my hairstylist(hottie!) friend of mine,then an hour of billards again, now shortly off on a walk to the market to pick up dinner and have a quick drink upstairs at the clubhouse before back home to make dinner. did a couple hours work this AM, that's it. worked more on my pool game today than anything else.

smile.gif

Edited by Beck

murraysovereign said:

Cool. Thanks bigdrink.gif

Spent an hour waiting for a paint contractor to show up on a job. But I did kill some of that time shopping for new waders for duck huntin season and came to the conclusion that I'd destroy those fangled breathables in a short amount of time and I'd better stick with neoprenes.

Bronco said:

Spent an hour waiting for a paint contractor to show up on a job. But I did kill some of that time shopping for new waders for duck huntin season and came to the conclusion that I'd destroy those fangled breathables in a short amount of time and I'd better stick with neoprenes.

Word on the breathables; I've always wondered how they would fare in the brush - not too good I'm thinking.

Need a painting contractor? Hmm...drop me a line if you wish.

One car broke down so had it towed to Ford dealership in Snohomish. madgo_ron.gif

Came home went to range to shoot the bow. Shot extremely well considering I'm doing it by instinct and not with modern sights and such. hellno3d.gif

Then drove toward Trask's villa and wet my line for a few hours trying like hell to hook a salmon. No luck, only one guy was lucky tonight. I have to tie up some new flies, nearly all my good salmon flies are gone cry.gif

Anyway that is the tough day in the life of a lay about has been climber, but I like it. hahahaha pitty.gif

Dug up some well entrenched bamboo at a friends house. Took three of us to get a 3'x3' piece out of the ground. madgo_ron.gif We used a spade(sharpened with an old ski file), a couple axes, and a mondo spud bar(some call it a pry bar). Fahq. We shouda jus used dyno-mite. The hilarious part was realizing that we were gonna have ta drag about a 17' long clump home, somehow, in my Suby. Jus said WTF and drove home with about 6' of the stuff hanging out the back with half on the ground. Yes there was some red tape tied to the end. Anyway, I dig wrastling with plants. AND, it beats the shit out of paying big bucks for the stuff at a nursery. thumbs_up.gif

MisterE said:

Just recently planted 25 goldens and a black as a natural fence around my japanese rock garden. Two years I have a natural fence thumbs_up.gif

Sounds real nice. thumbs_up.gif

I've got a clump of golden in a huge container. The culm color on rainy, gray winter days is something else! Did you place some sort of barrier in the ground???

Mine's a wee urban garden so all my bamboo is containered. Last year I sucessfully transplanted a fairly rare species(forget the name but it's small-a 3 ft. clumper-and the leaves are purplish in color) from a friends garden and am really stoked! rockband.gif

Though a scourge in some places, Arundo donax is also good for screening. I like the variegated variety and again I've got it containered: advc.jpg

Thrashador said:

MisterE said:

Just recently planted 25 goldens and a black as a natural fence around my japanese rock garden. Two years I have a natural fence thumbs_up.gif

Sounds real nice. thumbs_up.gif

I've got a clump of golden in a huge container. The culm color on rainy, gray winter days is something else! Did you place some sort of barrier in the ground???

Mine's a wee urban garden so all my bamboo is containered. Last year I sucessfully transplanted a fairly rare species(forget the name but it's small-a 3 ft. clumper-and the leaves are purplish in color) from a friends garden and am really stoked! rockband.gif

Though a scourge in some places, Arundo donax is also good for screening. I like the variegated variety and again I've got it containered: advc.jpg

The variegated is nice - we have some of that in the clumping variety elsewhere.

Yeah, we put a 16" barrier around all of the bamboo plantings. Now just gotta be patient.

Thanks for the Arundo tip - the leaves look broader than what we got - how tall does it get?