washington and oregon drivers are clueless

glassgowkiss

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RockHard said:

If I’m not mistaken, though, it is illegal to pull into the intersection and then stop.

I don't know about in WA, but where I come from, that is not a law. In fact in driving school you are taught to pull into the intersection when turning left, so you keep traffic flowing.

From what I understand, you don't need to go to driving school in WA to get a license... i.e. you can just go take the tests and get it? This would seem to encourage proliferation of bad habits, as parents/friends teach new drivers how to drive, instead of professionals. Hence all the clueless drivers here.

And what is it with people who come to full stops at yield signs when there is no traffic? And then have the incorrect (right side) turn signal on? madgo_ron.gif

That's saying you shouldn't enter the intersection, unless you can get out of it (i.e. there aren't cars on the other side of the intersection blocking where you're trying to go). Which is another thing that pisses me off! Talk about tying up traffic! Selfish !@#$% who end up stuck in the middle of the intersection when it turns green for the other folks!

I'm not sure this is applying to moving into the intersection when you're doing a left turn (unless there are cars blocking the street you're turning left into)

Ursa_Eagle said:

3a. (or maybe 10) lane violators... people who change lanes without signalling, people who don't pull into the correct lane when making a turn (turning right into the left lane or left into the right lane), etc.

Most cars I see get their turns signals mixed up when changing lanes into a left turn lane. They don't signal when doing the lane change (but they should), and then they do signal when turning (which may be unnecessary, since left turns are all you can do from a left turn lane anyway, so it's not really "signalling" anything)

And then there are the people who make a mistake by getting into the wrong lane, and come to a stop while trying to get into the correct lane (which will be impossible for some time to come since it is full of cars), thereby blocking all traffic behind them.... inconveniencing everyone else, instead of themselves, who made the mistake. I see it nearly everyday on the way to work...

Now I see where people may be getting some of their bad habits - from a poor job of restating the law by the Department of Licensing! After looking at that DOL webpage noted by Rockhard, and finding the excerpt about not entering the intersection if you cannot get through it, I decided to look in Chapter 46.61 of the RCW, the statutes which actually set forth those "rules of the road." What I saw was

RCW 46.61.185 Vehicle turning left.

The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left

within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right of way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute an immediate hazard.

and

RCW 46.61.202 Stopping when traffic obstructed.

No driver shall enter an intersection or a marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk, or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle he is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians, or railroad trains notwithstanding any traffic control signal indications to proceed.

Unless there is some other law that I missed, I don't think it is in fact illegal to pull out and wait in the middle of the intersection if you are going to be turning left, are not obstructing traffic, and are not going to get stuck there.

I think philfort is right that the lack of a requirement for driver's ed encourages the proliferation of bad driving habits.

philfort said:

And then there are the people who make a mistake by getting into the wrong lane, and come to a stop while trying to get into the correct lane (which will be impossible for some time to come since it is full of cars), thereby blocking all traffic behind them.... inconveniencing everyone else, instead of themselves, who made the mistake. I see it nearly everyday on the way to work...

I believe there is shared blame on this one. First, the driver who is in the wrong lane. Second, the usually confusing Washington signage doesn't help. Third, the self-appointed nazi f**khead traffic enforcer that won't let one car into the lane ahead of them.

I think the third SANFTE is at least as much to blame for holding everybody else up.

Anyone going slower than 75 mph in the left hand lane, I don't care what state you're in, should be shot. madgo_ron.gif

And how come nobody out here flashes their lights to oncoming traffic when they've just passed a speed trap to warn drivers coming the other way that they're approaching said speed trap? Of course, you do it when you're out of sight of the cop. That's called watchin' out for your fellow driver back east (shite, here comes the abuse...!)

chucK said:

Well, yes, but they are worried that some clueless driver might get mad at them if they switch from vehicle to pedestrian mode.

Actually as a cyclist, I'll be in that right turn spot and get the feeling that maybe the car behind me wants to turn right. I look back, and if they got their turn signal beeping, I move it onto the sidewalk. If they don't, I don't.

thumbs_up.gif

Teach your fellow cyclists.

chucK said:

Well, yes, but they are worried that some clueless driver might get mad at them if they switch from vehicle to pedestrian mode.

Actually as a cyclist, I'll be in that right turn spot and get the feeling that maybe the car behind me wants to turn right. I look back, and if they got their turn signal beeping, I move it onto the sidewalk. If they don't, I don't.

I disagree. I move to the left and try to give the car behind room to pass on my right. As a cyclist, I stay off the sidewalk.

fshrgrl said:

Anyone going slower than 75 mph in the left hand lane, I don't care what state you're in, should be shot. madgo_ron.gif

The left lane is for passing . It's not for driving the speed limit.... it's for PASSING. If you ain't PASSIN' and there is space to your right, get over. Don't matter if yer doin' a 100mph.

Now everybody, say it together one time:

"The left lane is for ________________"

j_b said:

the worst is when there is a car stopped in the intersection to make a left-hand turn and the car(s) behind it (that want to go straight) don't bother going around and wait, wait .... madgo_ron.gif

cuz that IS illegal. it is considered driving off the raodway.

you must stay inside the lines to be leagally moving forward.

you must be joking? if there is a problem getting stuck it is because it is a 2-lane road/street. i have a hard time imagining getting off the roadway (no lane line apart form center line either) in such instance. you may well be right but it won't change my driving habits.

Alpinfox said:

"The left lane is for ________________"

If you're like a lot of the people I see here in OR:

travelling

If you're like a few people I see here in OR:

going the same speed as the middle/right lane

madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I agree with Alpinfox, if you're not passing and you're in the left lane, SPEED UP OR GET THE FUCK OVER

Metalhead_Mojo said:

catbirdseat said:

California drivers haul ass. If you only go 60 mph in a 60 mph zone, you are going to get treadmarks over your roof. The 405 has 8 or 9 lanes and everybody is going 80.

so why do those fuck heads from cali only know how to do 50 mph on I-5 when they get up here???

rolleyes.gif

Last time I was up Seattle way, specifically between Centralia and Bellevue, the speed on I-5 never got over 45, both when I drove north and then again south. Drove me nuts. mad.gif

Most California drivers are clueless too! And Gov. Grayout Doofus just signed a bill to allow illegal aliens to get a CA drivers license. hellno3d.gif

fshrgrl said:

how come nobody out here flashes their lights to oncoming traffic when they've just passed a speed trap to warn drivers coming the other way that they're approaching said speed trap?

I don't because fucking speeders need to be busted, socked in the eye and pistol whipped. The women speeders need to show their tits on Fridays like Lycus says.