Stoves

eternalX

Thinking about getting one of the following, but not sure which.

1. Pocket Rocket $40

2. Superfly $50

3. Primus Yellowstone Classic Trail $25

i hear the pocket rocket is great at boiling water, but not much else because the flame is so small. any input would be appreciated. this will be my all-around stove

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for the pocket rocket - it rocks. I've made pasta sauce from scratch on it (tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc.) and didn't find the flame size a problem.

If you really want to cook on any backpacking stove get a flame diffuser (like the ones that come with outback ovens)

If you use an aluminum pan, it spreads the heat much more evenly than Titanium also. If you use an aluminum pot with a thicker, black bottom it's even better.

Yes, spray monkeys I said thicker black bottom, and I don't care. moon.gif

Oh, yeah, the pocket rocket is the lightest of the bunch you have listed there and a proven design.

trask said:

bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

titanium IS in fact lighter than aluminum, much thinner and stronger and cooks much more evenly. Spendier - Yes, but worth it in the long rung.

if i started over I'd definately look at titanium.

I call bullshit on your "bullshit". Are you talking about a camping pot or some sort of Titanium frying pan you use to beat your wife?

If it's a camping pot then you're right, it's lighter. According to REI at least:

Evernew Nonstick Titanium Pot - 4 Liter @ $70 and 15oz

Open Country Non-Stick Pot - 4 Quart @ $12 and 16oz

So for $58 you saved a whole oz. That's with a 4 liter pot which is pretty big to be taking on a lightweight trip. On a 2 liter pot that would be more efficient anyway you're probably saving a whole half oz. Worth the money? Sure you can probably find a better comparison but unless you're in the habit of taking a whole kitchen range worth of pans when you head out you're never going to save more than a few oz. If you want to save weight look for gear where spending money can save nearly whole pounds like sleeping bags, packs and ropes.

Titanium does not conduct heat as efficiently as Aluminum. Titanium are also thinner which, combined with the poor heat conduction will lead to hot spots so if your actually trying to cook anything, rather than melt snow, then it'll suck. This will also mean that slightly more fuel is required for cooking. MSR says the same thing, rating their own Titanium pans third in terms of cooking effiency.

Maybe Titanium is more durable but it has to outlast six cheap Aluminum pans to pay off. So unless it's given you a better back hand swing or something you're better with Aluminum.

I also have the MSR rocket and really like it, although only MSR could have made a gaz stove that loud.

iain said:

yellaf.gif a friend of mine packed in a cast iron skillet and some huge steaks to grill up on a climb in the sisters years ago. the guy was a beast.

No pancakes? Cast Iron rocks for pancakes. Mmmm Maple Syrup. Mmmm Butter... True Alpine Power Food!

I have a Pocket Rocket and I love it.

Any canister stove (or any stove for that matter) that has a small burner will suffer from the same problem as the Pocket Rocket, making the flame area/size of the stove small and thus effecting effciency etc.

bigdrink.gif

PS

I agree that Titanium does not handle/distribute the heat nearly as good as aluminum. But it is lighter and stronger. I use it when I am just heating water on quick trips.

gregm said:

aluminum pots give you alzhiemer's hahaha.gif

Alzheimer's gives you aluminum. That theory has been discredited.

We tested my aluminum pot versus my buddy's titanium pot on identical MSR stoves to see who could melt a liter of water from snow in the shortest time. The aluminum pot won, hands down. There are only a few metals that conduct heat better than aluminum. Among those are copper, silver and gold and those are extremely heavy.

Metal Thermal Conductivity

Copper 3.937

Aluminum 2.165

Iron 0.669

Stainless Steel-410 0.240

Titanium 0.157

Stainless Steel-321 0.146

The main reason heavy cast iron pots cook well is not because of a high thermal conductivity, but because they are thick and do a good job of distributing heat so your food cooks evenly. If all you are interested in is melting snow for drinking water as fast as you possibly can, then aluminum is the way to go.

i made a stove outta little aluminum juice cans. 2 tablespoons of gas line antifreeze will boil enough water for ramen. it weighs 7 grams and is fucking delicate.

about pots and shit, cheap ass mirro aluminum fuckers are the way to go. ifn it gets too nasty to clean anymore spend the $3 to get antoher.

Superfly has sharp points on it and no case, though you could make one of course. It doesn't fold up to a very small size either. It is nice that it can take Gaz cartridges though.

I like the pocket rocket and the snowpeak for small canister stoves.

P