What books are you reading?

EWolfe

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and give a kid a copy of the whole earth catalog and you'll have a hippie on your hands before you know it-

what's a good read for climbers?

Bone Games by Rob Schultheis

" Extreme sports, shamanism, zen, and the search for trancendence"

he talks about mountaineering parralleled to mans search of the divine... very intriguing read

Uncle_Tricky said:

The book that changed my life was the Anarkist's Kookbook. Of all the books that you should NOT give to a teenager, this probably ranks the highest.

Fortunately, even felonies are expunged from one's criminal record upon turning 18.

Some of the more paranoid ilk might also suggest if one was intersted in perusing "The Anarkists Kookbook", one might be wise to pay by cash, not credit card, and not try to get it from a library...

Also, as Uncle has done, deliberate misspelling to avoid searches... hahaha.gifwave.gif

Just finished the second of three books by Laurie King that continue the Sherlock Holmes saga - good reading! thumbs_up.gif

• 1 year later...

In the logging camp I finished "Little Dorritt", speed read a John Norman "Gor" BDSM pr0n pulp from the camp library of discarded trash novels, and then started in on "Vanity Fair" by Thackeray. I am enjoying reading my way through the Victorian novelists, i think I'll read Jane Eyre next.

well i stopped off at the bookstore on the way home and vanity fair is gonna have to take a backseat for a while cause kim stanley robinson and bruce sterling both had new novels out. if you notice less spray its cause im reading blush.gif

The Quinault Indians by Ronald L. Olson ...just finished

The Unschooled Mind by Howard Gardner ...currently reading

The Okinawa Diet Plan by Willcox, Willcox, and Suzuki ...next up

Favorites:

The Dharma Bums -Kerouac

The Back Country -Snyder

This Boy's Life -Wolfe

Into the Wild -Krakauer

Poets on the Peaks -Suiter

Tangible Visions: NW Coast Indian Shamanism and Its Art -Wardwell

My favorite mountaineering book is "Mountaincraft" by Geoffrey Winthrop Young. I got it on interlibrary loan.

Historical equivalent of "Freedom of the Hills" for the Brits -- probably through the 1930s. It was published just after WWI, & listed in bibilography in early "Freedom" editions. There may have been multiple editions of "Mtcraft" but dunno. I suggested once that Mountaineers PublishingCo. put ou a facsimile edition. It's a long book, & says stuff like, one must always remember to treat guides as social inferiors, & that climbers should smoke tobacco, because it surpresses hunger & thirst, & reduces "unnecessary talking."

• 2 weeks later...

Go back and read the first page of this thread. I maintain that trask gave the most honest answer here.

Logged a bunch of flying time recently, and so I had time to read Krakauer's book on the Mormons. A little long-winded, but well-documented and it pretty well lays out the Mormon story in the cold light of day. I'll bet Krakauer has gotten more grief over this book than all of the Into Thin Air criticism put together!