What books are you reading?

EWolfe

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books about parenting is all I get to read these days.

Already read Rise & Fall of Third Reich, Burden of Guilt, A Brief History of Time, Dante's Inferno, Ghandi, etc. Those days of serious, deep thought reading are behind me, for I have entered into what my other friends with kids call... The Dark Years... shocked.gifrolleyes.gif

You know, after a couple years of looking at your book lists, I ask myself...are these people really that intellectual and interested in this "serious heavy hitting literature", or are they just throwing out the labels for show ? I mean really, doesn't anyone here do any light reading? I guess climbers are really smart mother fuckers. rolleyes.gif

For me as 1/2 time dad, juggling boating, work, some social life, the fucking yard, life's little ongoing errands, time in the mountains, grandparents, occasions, appointments, and all the other shit that makes up my week, about the only time I have to read is on the shitter and usually it's a magazine. I can't finish an article before the fucking phone rings, there's a knock at the door, or I have to break up a fight between my kids. Jeez, last week my son and his friend got into a full blown fist fight in my yard. A true face punchout battle which I finally had to break up when my son Drew was slamming the other fucker's face into my cedar fence. Drew's 13. Point is, I have no time for reading...my loss I guess.

Finished Timeline, by Micheal Crighton last year. Good book about jumping back in time to the Middle Ages. Read We Were Soldiers Once and Young just after that. Re-read Blackhawk Down after that. Just finished Catfish and Mandela, by Andrew Phan while in Vietnam a couple months ago when we adopted our son. All good, light reads. But I assumed MisterE's question was what we all were reading now, which is just books about raising young'uns.

sobo said:

Finished Timeline, by Micheal Crighton last year. Good book about jumping back in time to the Middle Ages. Read We Were Soldiers Once and Young just after that. Re-read Blackhawk Down after that. Just finished Catfish and Mandela, by Andrew Phan while in Vietnam a couple months ago when we adopted our son. All good, light reads. But I assumed MisterE's question was what we all were reading now, which is just books about raising young'uns.

have you read "Real Boys" by william pollack? or "The confident child" By Terri Apter?? I realy enjoyed both of those grin.gif I don't neccisarily agree with every thing in both books, but I did find them helpful.

Muffy,

No I haven't. I've read a couple of books by Gavin Debecker (i think that's who it is) about natural instincts of kids and stuff (like fear and self-preservation), Raising Cain by two chiold psychologists from the East Coast, The Unhurried Child (real good book about not beating competitiveness into a kid at the expense of being a kid growing up), and How to Raise an Unspoiled Child.

Know any other good books on the subject?

sobo said:

Muffy,

No I haven't. I've read a couple of books by Gavin Debecker (i think that's who it is) about natural instincts of kids and stuff (like fear and self-preservation), Raising Cain by two chiold psychologists from the East Coast, The Unhurried Child (real good book about not beating competitiveness into a kid at the expense of being a kid growing up), and How to Raise an Unspoiled Child.

Know any other good books on the subject?

I think the only other thing you need is a full library of Dr, Suess wink.gif

Sobo, for Gods sake don't fall for all that shit about not instilling competition in kids. They were born with it. I've got twins...we have avoided 'competition' when feasible...but they naturally compete, and kids to some extent thrive on competition! Just teach them not to be obsessed with it, but for goodness sake let them enjoy the natural pride of excelling.

If you want no-nonsense old-school child raising advice, read stuff by John Rosemond. thumbs_up.gif

RobBob,

We aren't trying to de-instill competition in him; not at all. Friendly competition is healthy. What we don't want is to be like so many other "soccer parents" that stand at the sidelines exhorting their kid to "win at all costs" or pressuring him through the young years to excell like a brainiac and getting him to take the SATs in the fifth grade or something like that. That kind of pressure on a kid is not healthy. He will win, and he will lose. He will get things right, and he will get things wrong. And it's all OK.

I will look for that book you mentioned and possibly give it a read. Thanks for the heads up. thumbs_up.gif

You, too, Muffy! wave.gif