Pack it out or Pack it up

CM3

Somehow I got on these clowns' mailing list. I found this more than a little hilarious. Actual email from Skagit Alpine Club Class.

Everyone,

Please read the below e-mail that I received from a student dropping the class. I would like some responses back from the members of the club about his comments and what you believe to be fair play for the "pack-it-out" policy of the outdoor enthusiasts. It would probably not be smart for everyone to respond back to him blasting him for his opinion as it probably differs from most of us, but I would like to see if I am off base compared to the rest of you.

Thanks for your time in reviewing this matter.

Allen Grenz

Hello Allen.

I am writing to let you know that I am withdrawing from the mountaineering class. I had hoped that I would be able to complete, even though the training I had been doing was just enough to keep me treading water from one week to the next. I am not leaving because of the physical struggle, I haven't given up yet. I am leaving because of the "pack out your shit" policy. I feel that this policy has no merits that are relevant to learning mountaineering skills, but is a political agenda driven by over zealous environmentalist. It is wrong for SAC to charge a fee for an educational course, and then demand that students comply to political dogma that was not

included in the course outline.

Glen

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

without knowing the details of the quoted

'"pack out your shit" policy' it's a little

hard to decide who I am supposed to be making

fun of here.

Like does this club have a policy of packing out regardless

of location? ... or is this a specific case of a trip to

Rainier or other blue-bag place?

I agree. If the guy doesn't want to pack his shit out of high-use areas, I think he should stick his hand in a nice pile of it on a climb sometime. But if the club packs it out of everywhere, regardless of how little use or whether it's below treeline, then more power to him.

trask said:

I usually shit right in the middle of the trail. I want everyone to enjoy it. Sometimes, especially on hot days, I like to smear it on a bouldering problem.

Actually if your not going to pack it out that isn't a bad idea. cantfocus.gif

trask, maybe that was you that shit on the Kautz back in 1990! laugh.gif

We were coming up the route just past the dogleg chutes at Camp Hazard, and we noticed a group above us about 600 feet or so. One of them appeared to be taking a crap right on the route. A little while later, as we passed his impromptu shithouse, we couldn't help notice how this guy's bowels were trying to get even with him. He didn't even try to cover it up! madgo_ron.gif

We blew by them later, chastised their group for one of their own's behavior, and went on to summit. All seemed well until the descent...

As we were descending the route, we desparately tried to remember where the guy's shithouse was, but we could not. All at once, it revealed itself to us in the most inauspicious manner.

I was acting as a walking "belay" at the back of the rope (the route had iced up very badly during the day), and I accidentally kicked the pile before I really saw it. The frozen mass skittered down the glacier towards my other two ropemates. Not knowing what else to say to warn them, I yelled "ROCK!" many times. The shit dinnerplate missed the middle man narrowly, and careened toward the point man. He turned around just in time to see the whizzing shitwad slam into the rope just above him, instantly breaking apart and coating the rope with it's unfrozen innards at the contact point. The shitwad splintered into a bazillion pieces, several of which smacked into the point man. Talk about pissed off!! madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

The funny thing about the whole event was, we both eventually ended up hating our point man anyways, and the rope was brand new, and it was his! the_finger.gif

...sobo

Sounds like Glen is a lazy, fat pussy who had to find an excuse as to why he was quitting the class and emphasize that the reason he was quitting was not because of the hard work and training, but b/c he didn't want to pack his shit out. SOunds defensive to me, like he felt he had to justify his excuse. Guy had too much sand in his clit and couldn't fess up to his own downfall and inadequacues, so he made up some dumb-ass lamo excuse. Either way he's a pussy.

rbw1966 said:

I believe Ryland is just following the pussy metaphor.

Are you that defensive in real life?

Rob,

When referrring to someone or something in a negative way, and then drawing a comparison between them and women or parts of wome, then yes, I do raise objections. It is offensive and demeaning, and letting it slide would suggest otherwise. It's not "having issues", its speaking out against things that are truly objectionable.

I'm sorry Allison. Living here in PC capital of the world has been getting to me and I had to vent in an un PClike manner to a faceless crowd. Not personally attacking you or another woman, but was trying to stay along with the metaphor. There are plenty of women out there who can gladly poop and pack and there are women out there much harder than me.

Kind of reminds me of a situation two years ago in grad school, where a person in our department sent out a mass e-mail to the department list serve requesting info on where he could get a tent fixed. I replied, "I used this woman in town named Dianna and she did an awesome job! Her contact info is......" I got blasted by 10 e-mails immediately chastizing me for my use of words and my statement, "I used this woman.....". Pissed me off. Eugene people who are PC to that limit suck nuts!

Ry,

It's a different situation there. Getting "used this woman" out of "used this woman" is reading a lot into your words.

One could make the same argument about your "sand in the clit" remark, but I for one find there to be a difference, and it's over the line. I know the remark was made in jest, and one level it IS funny, but well, if you think about it for a second, it's not really all that funny. fruit.gif

allison said:

Ry,

It's a different situation there. Getting "used this woman" out of "used this woman" is reading a lot into your words.

One could make the same argument about your "sand in the clit" remark, but I for one find there to be a difference, and it's over the line. I know the remark was made in jest, and one level it IS funny, but well, if you think about it for a second, it's not really all that funny. fruit.gif

thank you Preacher. always good to hear from the sanctimonious.