Religon

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Religion and government breed absolutism and fundamentalism not moderation. Secularism and keeping the military out of decision making process are the two most important elements of a stable and efficient government. I don't think its unreasonable or hypocritical to impose that requirement on Iraq.

specialed said:

Religion and government breed absolutism and fundamentalism not moderation. Secularism and keeping the military out of decision making process are the two most important elements of a stable and efficient government. I don't think its unreasonable or hypocritical to impose that requirement on Iraq.

I think that Turkey is the model we should look to for the new government of Iraq. It is an islamic country with a strong secular tradition. It took a very strong leader like Mustafa Kemal Attaturk to make Turkey what it is today. I don't know if such a leader exists for Iraq.

catbirdseat said:

specialed said:

I think that Turkey is the model we should look to for the new government of Iraq. It is an islamic country with a strong secular tradition. It took a very strong leader like Mustafa Kemal Attaturk to make Turkey what it is today. I don't know if such a leader exists for Iraq.

It may have HAD a strong secular tradition but over the last 20 years islamic fundamentalism in Turkey has been rising and openly islamic parties are now allowed to participate in government. Lets also not forget that everytime the political feuding has created social chaos the government steps in and wipes the slate clean. Clearly, Turkey has problems but its also a very young democracy. First multiparty elections weren't until 1946. They too have problems with ethnic rivalries a la the Kurds. Perhaps their model would be a good starting point. Sadly though they don't have a charismatic leader like Attaturk.

1) I haven't yet seen GW posin' on the church steps, bible in hand, like Clinton used to.

2) Environmentalism is the religion of the left.....and it is preached to our children in public schools.

3) I don't hear any outrage from you libs when The Catholic Church or the National Council of Churches...or VP wannabee man-of-God- Libermann gets involved in politics...as long as they agree with your position on a given issue.

4) GW in 2004!