WTF?

cracked

Why is is that I can't find a hardshell on the market that fits my arms when I reach above my head? Not Arc'teryx (they're one of the worst), not Mountain Softwear, not Sierra Designs, not Patagonia, NOBODY! I have a size large torso, with a +4in ape index. Many jackets don't accomodate my forearms either. Am I really a freak? madgo_ron.gif

Anybody know of someone that makes will customize Goretex? Maybe I should try to sew my own.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked said:

Why is is that I can't find a hardshell on the market that fits my arms when I reach above my head? Not Arc'teryx (they're one of the worst), not Mountain Softwear, not Sierra Designs, not Patagonia, NOBODY! I have a size large torso, with a +4in ape index. Many jackets don't accomodate my forearms either. Am I really a freak? madgo_ron.gif

Anybody know of someone that makes will customize Goretex? Maybe I should try to sew my own.

Don't complain bro, those proportions are conducive to cranking down hard fruit.gif

But i can relate. I've got super long arms and legs, broad shoulders, and no waist. Nothing EVER fits right. madgo_ron.gif

cracked said:

Integral Designs did (does?) custom sewn Gore-tex. Check 'em out. www.integraldesigns.com

I can sew my own fleece, but I'm not good enough to sew Goretex yet. I checked out ID, but they seem to only make three-pound jackets.

Cloudveil is just as bad as the rest. Oh, well, it gives me another reason to bitch, can't be that bad. grin.gif

cracked said:

long arms...big forearms... you must eat spinach too

popeye.gif

I think the question you need to ask is do you really need it. I mean its not like it rains at smith anyway, and if it did you would not be climbing. evils3d.gifwave.gifwazzup.gifmadgo_ron.gifpitty.gifconfused.gifyelrotflmao.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

edit: If you do decide to make your own, I think neon green would match your wind pants or pink.

Edited by eric8

eric8 said:

I think the question you need to ask is do you really need it. I mean its not like it rains at smith anyway, and if it did you would not be climbing. evils3d.gifwave.gifwazzup.gifmadgo_ron.gifpitty.gifconfused.gifyelrotflmao.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

edit: If you do decide to make your own, I think neon green would match your wind pants or pink.

Eric, you are one funny (lookin) bastard. yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyellaf.gif I was thinking of keeping the color scheme, blue and yellow with my orange pack is my identity. Without them, I wouldn't know who I am!

Trask: Good idea. But then I'd have trouble reaching holds. Still, you are quite a smart cookie. the_finger.gif

I'm thinking of cutting the arms off of a commercial jacket and sewing new (longer) ones on. It would look like shit, but who cares? I look bad already. BTW, does this look like Smith? True, you've never been to Smith, but still. the_finger.gifI'm pretty ugly.

dryad said:

Last I checked, Beyond Fleece doesn't sell Gore-Tex jackets, only fleece and soft shells.

They also custom make schoeller jackets and I've found this fabric to be pretty water resistant. Obviously it won't keep you nearly as dry as gore-tex but if its raining that bad I'm climbing a bar stool.

Dude, your question is a good one, but your thread title isn't very informative for all those other people who are wondering the same thing...

Sorry, can't help ya. I have the same problem with my coat, and most other coats that I have tried. I deal with it, or if its really cold/wet on the ice I use a glove that has a bigger cuff.

Taker sleezy

cracked said:

Eagle, I don't like the Marmot jackets as the hoods aren't big enough for my bare head, let alone when I'm wearing a helmet.

Well, the solution is now clear. You need to buy two jackets. A marmot precip and then one with a hood that is the correct size. Cut the hood off of both and swap'em.

P.s. your doing fine in that photo without goretex. fuck you look like scott backes

Hmm, quite interesting solutions on offer here.

Cut off your arms and head and then climb naked. Should work, and if you're missing your head you won't mind the cold.

Buy three GT jackets in different sizes, cut apart to create one jacket that fits Frankenstein's monster. Unfortunately will never work since you'll go insane with the large number of wacky color schemes you could create.

What else did we have? Oh and by the way that's my picture! Didn't know you'd posted it here, cool.

MEC is the answer.

I'm 6'2" and have pretty long arms and the Medium gtx jacket I have is almost a little long. I can't believe these things fit "normal" folks, but it works for me. Nice quality jacket. Can't remember the name, but it's the lightwieght, no frills, alpine jacket. Cheap too.

thumbs_up.gif

Actually, that's nice to know for us other tall folks. I've been dealing with medium jackets (arms too short), and large pants (waist too big). I have a few pieces of Medium Tall that fit great, but I rarely find that size. Although cutting off ones arms as per trasks suggestion would help avoid bad circulation to fingers...

A friend of mine got his Marmot GTX one piece modified by Marmot (I think). He's very tall and they sewed an additional 2-3" into the middle of it. You could ask at Marmot Mtn if they have such a service.

I don't have any more details but I'll ask him who did the work although I suspect it was pretty pricy.