WTF?

cracked

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked said:

Why is is that I can't find a hardshell on the market that fits my arms when I reach above my head? Not Arc'teryx (they're one of the worst), not Mountain Softwear, not Sierra Designs, not Patagonia, NOBODY! I have a size large torso, with a +4in ape index.....

I poached a Golite Reach Jacket off of sierratradingpost last week for $32 and got it this weekend. It's arms cut way long for "reaching" rolleyes.gif over your head. On a size M from armpit to cuff it's 27".

The coat's really lightweight for a hard shell (like 10oz.) according to www.promountainsports.com who sells them new for $139.00 and I think Golite has discontinued this particular jacket so you might be able to find a deal on it somewhere else.

Probably comprable to the Marmot Precip for waterproofness and breathability, but at least it 's cut snug to emphasize my Krispy Kreme belly. Geek_em8.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You could try a gear repair shop like Rainy Pass Repair to see how hard it would be to remove the cuffs from a jacket you like otherwise, then add in sleeve extensions with new cuffs at the ends. Doesn't look like it would be too complicated on a 3-ply laminated or coated fabric. Worth a shot.

Alternately, call Integral Designs and explain what it is you want in a jacket. They may have some lighter weight material that they could turn into a jacket for you. Any time I've talked to them they've seemed fairly open to custom work.

Good luck. My arms aren't as extendo as yours; I sometimes get a decent fit from Patagonia, Cloudveil, or Arc'teryx. Not always, but sometimes.

I thought about cutting the cuffs off and sewing on some of my own, but that won't give me enough girth for my forearms. I'm thinking of cutting the entire sleeves off and replacing them with longers Gore-Tex ones, though the materials costs an arm and kidney. Oh well.

Another thumbs-up for MEC Brand stuff fitting the long-armed among us. I have an inch and a half ape index and can get away with a women's M.

If you have to get into modifications the REI repair desk can do anything Rainy Pass can do for half the price and all of the quality.

thelawgoddess said:

someone once told me that sierra designs does custom stuff. ???

You mean Integral Designs? I'll probably get some 3-layer Goretex, but the sleeves off of my Sierra Designs Peak Bagger, and replace them. I'll try to post pics if I do, should look pretty horrendous. I'm never happy... cry.gif