Need to buy a tent Hilleberg or Bibler?

AlienSoul

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh really, and what makes you say that? And what makes you believe I was ever close to death confused.gif

That tent saved our asses, I can tell you that for sure. With out it we would have been in deep shit. I'm certain that any other tent I have owned sureley would have failed under the stress. wave.gif

Edited by Lambone

properly pitched hoop tents do just fine in extreme weather conditions- its' a tried and true alpine design, and definetly lighter weight than simalarly designed four pole mountain tents. They don't pitch as well you have don't a good staking medium like snow or dirt.

these are two different types of tents though. a hilleberg is a much more versatile tent.

the I-tent XL is a sub three pounder and is pretty damn impressive in that regard.

Lambone said:

Oh really, and what makes you say that? And what makes you believe I was ever close to death confused.gif

That tent saved our asses, I can tell you that for sure. With out it we would have been in deep shit. I'm certain that any other tent I have owned sureley would have failed under the stress. wave.gif

Trip report, trip report we want a trip report?

I have the Eldorado 2 doors and I love this thing. just a little cramp for two but manageable. the second door is a god sent when using the vestibule or when using snow walls. It gives one access to the gear under a tarp and let one partner go out peeing in midnight in relatively minor disturbance. also it is the ventilation king for condensation control and after Mexican beans dinner

And ohh yeah …it is bomb proof and handle my sorry storm bound ass time and time again

cantfocus.gif

leejams,

Do a search on Glacier Peak, it's old news.

We couldn't have gotten good stakes in where we were, and it was the jagged volcanic rocks that cut our guy lines. I wouldn't wan't to have my life dependent on getting stakes in the ground if the shit hit the fan.

Two cool things:

The climbing club at the UW has two Bibler I-tents, they're ancient, very beat up and each has been repaired multiple times (crampon holes patched, zipper replacement etc.), but still going strong. Top score for durability...

And, the Nallos can be pitched double-walled, or inner only, or outer only. The inner only is ultra lightweight but keeps the bugs and the light wind and precip out. The outer can sleep something like six people or whatever, at least if it's a GT, but has no floor - works like a BD megamid in some ways. And the full thing will withstand pretty much any weather when pitched correctly (snow walls, proper guyeing w/skis and such), but that's tricky - hence the much heavier Hilleberg free-standing tents. Anyways, top score for versatility...

I'd pick a Bibler for technical stuff where the small floorprint is necessary, otherwise go with the Nallo. It's a great tent.

Jim,

Our's works great in all conditions. The two doors make it nice for venting and we have not had any condensation problems whatsoever. We have used it in all conditions from soggy hikes in the ONP to alpine, to desert trips. rockband.gif

I like my Bibler Eldorado 2-dr tremendously. I've spent plenty of nights in I-tents and a few in a Fitz, but am most comfy in the Eldo (could have someting to do with the fact I'm 6'2"). That 2nd door is worth it's weight in gold for ventilation. I found mine slightly used for 5 bills, including the vestibule, on some climbing bulletin board in Colorado.

The BD store in Salt Lake does indeed sell overstocks and blems. I've found that they're usually that depressing green color, though, so make sure you ask about color if you order one.

Watch the bulletin boards at FF and Marmot later in the year for climbers ditching Denali gear.

flatland said:

Integral Designs and Todd Bibler used to be one and the same until they split. The material is the same, as is the quality, but the ID tent costs alot less. It's what Barry Blanchard and most of the Canadian Crazies use.

One of the major differences between the tents is the design of the vents. ID and OLD-style Biblers use 'tube' vents, while the newer Biblers use 'slot' vents in the apex of the tent. I prefer the newer Bibler vents, myself.

Look at the difference:

http://www.integraldesigns.com/tm3r.htm

http://www.biblertents.com/2002/itent_eldo.html

For what it's worth, I have had a North Face West Wind for 20 years and it is a little too old to take up Mount Rainier because I don't trust the fabric, but I can honestly say that it is all around the best mountain tent I've ever had and the Hilleberg Nallo 2 is very similar, though perhaps the West Wind's three hoops over the body of the tent rather than two may have made it a little stronger. In high winds, the Westwind performed as well as the free standing 4-season domes that weighed nearly twice as much; in snow it performed nearly as well; and in a casual camping situation I would use long strings front and rear and a single anchor six feet away (or further) from each end was sufficient for both corners at either end because the hoop kept them spread sufficiently. I never once had serious trouble getting it properly anchored - there were aways rocks, trees, bushes, stuff sacks full of snow, ice axes, skis, or whatever I needed anywhere that I ever set it up. I wouldn't buy a single wall tent unless I was planning to use it for winter climbing or expeditions - but not for summer camping in Washington.

After all this, I think that my best bet it to get two tents. For a summer tent I am thinking about a REI Half-Dome or something similar. I am still trying to decide on a 4-season. It almost looks like a bibler might be cheaper since I can get a blem or used one. I don't like paying full retail I guess.

AlienSoul said:

After all this, I think that my best bet it to get two tents. For a summer tent I am thinking about a REI Half-Dome or something similar. I am still trying to decide on a 4-season. It almost looks like a bibler might be cheaper since I can get a blem or used one. I don't like paying full retail I guess.

The 2 tent system works well for me. I don't usually like to pitch my Bibler on anything other than snow, whether it's winter or summer. Below the snow line you'll likely run into more humid conditions where ventilation and breathability are huge factors, and thus a 2 or 3 season tent will outperform the 4 season tent in almost every case, IMHO.

Unless you're setting up a camp for several days I don't see much use for taking a tent on most climbs, esp in the summer below snowline. A bivy and a tarp are lighter and more versatile.

I am a self-confessed luxury lover. The tarp/bivy combo seems to offer a lot of options, esp in heavy rain.

I'll add to my earlier (quoted) statement by saying that I would almost always take the bivy bag and leave the tarp home for a 1 or 2 day climb, but if I were heading out for 3+ day climb in the Cascades I'd probably take the tarp along....not a hardfast rule, but simply my humble opinion.