Cascade Villains

fleblebleb

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone who thinks more than 5 people is a reasonably-sized group for any climb on Mt. Washington (oregon). bonus points if any person in said group thinks rocks are harmless when kicked off cliff bands. even more points if leader of group believes this is a good place to teach someone how to rappel.

Forrien backpackers that think, just because you have a sweet camp set up at the base of the mountain, that they can camp out with you instead of finding their own place to plant their tent stakes...

Thats the hole reason i'm out there is to get away from people...

Yeah, I nominate GaperTimmy and Jon for collectively ruining our working lives. Aye, matey, thars your two rapscallions! To the devil* with thee.

* The devil was the name for the plank cantilevered out over the water that unfortunate victims were made to walk out on on pirate ships, et al. This is the origin of the familiar expression "Between the devil and the deep blue sea."

klenke said:

Yeah, I nominate GaperTimmy and Jon for collectively ruining our working lives. Aye, matey, thars your two rapscallions! To the devil* with thee.

* The devil was the name for the plank cantilevered out over the water that unfortunate victims were made to walk out on on pirate ships, et al. This is the origin of the familiar expression "Between the devil and the deep blue sea."

actually the devil referred to the longest seam on the ships hull. thus the devil to pay suppoisedly refers to the duty of hanging in a long sling off the side while the ship is carreened, scraping barnacles and caulking this seam.

both stories are probably bullshit actually. THE DEVIL. you know, the guy with horns. the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif none of this plank bullshit, they were Satanists!!

Dru, according to these, we're both right more or less:

http://phrases.shu.ac.uk/bulletin_board/7/messages/262.html

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010512/windows/roots.htm

http://www.shipsandcruises.com/nautical_notes.htm

And now that I've been reading some of these, I remembered a little more of what I knew of this: that to tar the side of the ship a sailor hung from this plank (and in so being, was between the devil and the deep blue sea). It was apparently a dangerous task, thus the expression's meaning of being in a precarious situation.

In carvel built (or planked) ships the boards were placed side by side as opposed to overlapped as in shiplap construction. The resulting seams each had to be waterproofed by being stuffed with a ribbon of a recycled material called oakum made from retired hemp ropes. The oakum was saturated with tar and shoved into the seams, which were then filled with more tar. It was a very messy business and explains why sailors were sometimes referred to as "Jack Tar". If a ship "worked", that is flexed, in a heavy sea, the oakum in the seams could work its way loose and the ship would leak. Since picking oakum was such unpleasant business it was often assigned to prisoners, which explains how the phrase "pickin' oakum" came to mean getting into trouble.

Nautical History: Oakum