Ovals, what are they good for?

specialed

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oval 'biners are good for everything. They're strong and reliable. For aid, they're great because they don't flex and lock when weighted like many "D"s do.

If you think yours are good for nothing, send them to me.

SPIRITS AND WIREGATE ALL EXCEED OVALS STRENGTH

WIREGATES AND SPIRITS DONT FLEX AND LOCK WHEN WEIGHTED

AND THAT THING CALLED BINER SHIFT...IS ACTUALLY CALLED POOR TECHNIQUE....I KNOW THIS MICRO GUIDE THAT WILL SHOW YOU!! HA!

I GUESS THEY ARE THE BEST FOR BINER BRAKE RAPPEL

I GAVE ALL MINE AWAY?? ALONG WITH MY 'D'S

I use ovals at the end of my daisies during aid leading. All the webbing and stuff doesn't get bunched up like on a normal biner. They are also good for racking a set of chalks together, because the chalks can slide around easy and make sorting through them easier.

I keep 4 of them. 2 for my chalks, 2 for aid climbing. If they weren't so heavy and blulky, I would carry more. They are very easy to clip and there is a lot of room inside for whatever. Easier to hold onto to also if you need to pull on them.

SPIRITS AND WIREGATE ALL EXCEED OVALS STRENGTH

WIREGATES AND SPIRITS DONT FLEX AND LOCK WHEN WEIGHTED

AND THAT THING CALLED BINER SHIFT...IS ACTUALLY CALLED POOR TECHNIQUE....I KNOW THIS MICRO GUIDE THAT WILL SHOW YOU!! HA!

I GUESS THEY ARE THE BEST FOR BINER BRAKE RAPPEL

I GAVE ALL MINE AWAY?? ALONG WITH MY 'D'S

erik, what are you screaming about?

Just because another 'biner design is stronger than an oval doesn't negate the oval's value. With regard to some carabiner's gate key engaging under a body-weight load, it does happen. I've had it happen with wire-gate 'biners and shaped 'biners. But I've never experienced it with old-skool chouinard ovals. And I never mentioned "BINER SHIFT".

sorry bout the caps thing...it is mostly old people who seem to have an issue with it! ha!

i dont like em and i dont own em. thats my opinion and that is it. use your oval!! and love your ovals!!

bone. enough about the rescue we already know!!

round stock locking oval is the best biner i have found that works as brake biner in the reverso.

other than that i like them for aid too... erik is being pretentious, some of us like'em...its like using a figure 8 to tie in instead of a clove hitch bowline... or double fisherman insteadof EDK...people who say one is always better are usually frustrated guide wanna bes tongue.gifrolleyes.gif

Try keeping your chalks, nuts, hexes on spirits. They won't get hung up on the gate when you unclip them.

I have a couple of older Kong keylock ovals that I use for chocks- they work great.

Not suprising since Kong invented that style gate. They're just harder to find in the shops than Petzl's.

Damn, I've already retired my old euro coathanger ice screws to keep from being ridiculed by you all, and now you're telling me I've got to discard my 20 year old Eiger ovals? What's next, I'm going to have to trade in my Pivetta Red Spiders for some new fangled galoshes type kletterschue just to remain fashionable?

In addition to being perfectly functional for climbing, better for use as carabiner breaks, and arguably better for carbiner-chains in aid climbing, they DO make good beer openers, though, don't they? Any piece of gear that serves more than one purpose is OK in my book. I just don't carry them on my rack very often.

bone. enough about the rescue we already know!!

ya know erik, not everybody knows as much about climbing as you do...specialmacatuion asked a question, I gave a simple answer...it's not like I wrote a whole essay on it...why are you such a prick sometimes?

I also use ovals for those lite weight orange plastic Petzl pully things that slip on a Biner, they don't work on D's.

please keep in mind that I am NOT the gear head in the family blush.gif I have an oval of my verry own that I keep on my shoes in hopes that I will remember to biner my hiking shoes to my harness on a multi pitch climb wink.gif unfortunatly my little trick to remind myslf does not always work. We also have a cupple of ovals that have the Nutz racked on them. I like 'em that way cool.gif seems to work for me. And no I am not going to go out nad buy 30$ bieners because they are cooler tongue.gif I will use what I have until I can't use it any more grin.gif