approach shoes

sketchfest

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo sketch--I picked up a pair of sportivas at US Outdoor for $29. I don't recall the model but for that coinage I didn't much care. They are comfy and holding up well so far. I was replacing a pair of 5.10 mountain masters (my second pair from 5.10). Although they lasted a long time I felt the upper was not sturdy enough for lengthy approaches, even on smooth terrain. The Guide Almighty held up really well and was plenty sturdy but mucho dinero. The sportivas are a discontinued shoe but look similar to the supernova.

Hope that helps

The Doctor got some Lowa something-or-other low-top approach shoes, and they are suuuuuper comfortable. Loving them, thankyouverymuch. And while they haven't seen too much extended trail time, they were kind to DFA's feet right outta the box for the nine-mile hike from Phantom Ranch to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, which was nice, and they continue to be cush and solid.

i like my 5.10 mountain masters. not sure about your durability concern there, though. i've only had mine one season ...

Sole started wearing through after one season, which is faster than any other shoe, boot or sandal I've worn as an adult. Wore them canyoneering in Zion and they never got rid of that funk either. For the sake of marital bliss I tossed them on the fire.

I had a pair of 5.10 mountain masters and thought they sucked. They didn't hike well, didn't climb well and fell part in a season. They felt like a big poofy pair of basketball shoes, although on the plus side the sticky rubber was pretty worthy. Still, big thumbs down IMHO.

I picked up a pair of Garmont Sticky weekends, unfortunately a 1/2 size too small, but liked them a lot. I know Second Bounce still has a crapload of them new at $49 a pair, but with limited sizes.

I have the guide allmighty's and I would sau much the same thing about them as Fred said about the Mountain Master: they don't hike well or climb particularly well but the rubber is good for slab approaches. I haven't worn them out yet but they don't strike me as being a particularly durable shoe, though I don't think they are any worse than lots of lightweight trail shoes.