Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
olyclimber

New forum software!

Recommended Posts

If you made it here, then you are on the new cc.com forum software.  This new software is modern, awesome, and very different from the old UBB software that we moved off of. 

There will be a new learning curve, and we may need to change some settings along the way, and improve the software along the way to better customize it to our needs.   There is a new TR tool for creating TRs, and there is not yet a TR searching tool.   We also don't yet have the replacement image gallery turned on.  These things are coming!    In the meantime, we think you'll like the new experience.

If you have any problems or questions then by all means post them up. We will likely make a FAQ, perhaps some help videos, or even a new forum for answering questions and making this new software way better than the last software we used.  In the mean time, you can post your questions in this thread and we will try to get them answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yessssssssssss!!!!

This is a big step.  Many thanks to Porter and Jon for their hard work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot for the work. One thing I really liked before was the ability to see all new trip reports at a glance. I like to read them all and don't necessarily click on each region. 

Thanks again for all the effort, maybe TRs participation will pick up!!! :)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo!  I like the new look, thanks guys for the work!

I've only been poking around a few minutes so these thoughts may change, but my initial comments:

The front page looks good and snazzy.  It highlights the blog posts and articles, but TRs are not mentioned at all except in a tiny box at the bottom (which leads to error code: 1S160/2 BTW).  IMHO the best part of this site as a regular user are TRs and the Forum, I would love to see recent TRs and Forum posts highlighted up front.  Or maybe TRs should be considered like articles/blog posts?  That and I really hope my and everyone elses old TRs are accessible again eventually.

I'm still figuring out this whole "recent activity" thing, not quite as easy to browse as the old "past 24 hrs" list, but I'll probably learn.  The font and layout makes for a lot of scrolling there, maybe that can be optimized to not show "in the last hour" as it's own category (until we have a crazy busy site)?

I am guessing this was a ton of work, so props to everyone!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Olymountainboy that exactly the kind of feedback we need! Now that we have a modern platform, yes we would like to tune it like you mention. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) thank you for the work. I know this is a labor of love.

2) would echo I find myself doing a lot of scrolling on the landing page. Think it needs a better layout, or to nest/collapse the sub-forums within the parent so it's cleaner up front.

3) also agree, my MO of accessing cc for the last 5 years has been a link to 'last 24hr'. On other forums there is an 'unread posts' link that will show you everything you haven't read since the last time you accessed the site (i think)...

4) cheers

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

follow up: where to update signature lines?

seems like icons or something are missing, I see a lot of 'square box' icons that are empty? looks weird. All over on site where there would be little infos or a navigation button.

edit posts? not seeing a spot to do it... i would have added this to the above.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add a plug for the TR search page that it sounds like you are developing.  I really like to read them all and it was handy having a page where they were displayed chronologically.

Same on some weird format issues on my browser (latest Firefox).  Look to be icons that are empty boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Look forward to seeing what's new.

If entering TRs is much easier than before, then perhaps more will be posted, which may lead to more visitors and more posts and more TRs. That would be a nice virtuous cycle.

More free beer at pub clubs might be the next step? Sadly, no more Fred there.

Edited by Rad
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the system update, it looks like a big improvement over the ubb software!

I went to message someone privately regarding an item on the yardsale, and it said my message inbox was full.  If I go to my profile, I do not see an inbox anywhere or place to delete messages... is there something I am missing here?  

 

image.png.f5a3d7d3f8cdc5282c24cf83a552e6b6.png

 

image.png

Edited by manninjo
remove unnecessary image
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers to the admin and mods  .... nicely done.

Does this mean the end to the jumping, turgid sausage?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ivan raised this elsewhere, but is there a setting to divide a long thread into pages?  Handy to not have to scroll thru the entire conversation when you can to check on how the battle is progressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Water said:

follow up: where to update signature lines?

seems like icons or something are missing, I see a lot of 'square box' icons that are empty? looks weird. All over on site where there would be little infos or a navigation button.

edit posts? not seeing a spot to do it... i would have added this to the above.

 

The squares are indeed  bug.    Yes, should e navigation.

Video showing how to update your signature....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, manninjo said:

Thank you for the system update, it looks like a big improvement over the ubb software!

I went to message someone privately regarding an item on the yardsale, and it said my message inbox was full.  If I go to my profile, I do not see an inbox anywhere or place to delete messages... is there something I am missing here?  

 

image.png.f5a3d7d3f8cdc5282c24cf83a552e6b6.png

 

image.png

Here is how to get to messages!   Confusing because the icon is messed up.  We are working on that....its in the queue of things to fix!   Let me know if this helps or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JasonG said:

I think Ivan raised this elsewhere, but is there a setting to divide a long thread into pages?  Handy to not have to scroll thru the entire conversation when you can to check on how the battle is progressing.

@ivan @JasonG @G-spotter and whoever else is asking about this....it looks like the setting for this software is 25 posts per page.  Does anyone remember what it was on UBB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wdietsch said:

Cheers to the admin and mods  .... nicely done.

Does this mean the end to the jumping, turgid sausage?

 

No...never getting rid of a turgid sausage.  Which one are you talking about....one of the emoticons?

Here is how to get to ALL of the emoticons.  Once you use one it will stay in the main dropdown so you can use it next time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rad said:

Thanks all. Look forward to seeing what's new.

If entering TRs is much easier than before, then perhaps more will be posted, which may lead to more visitors and more posts and more TRs. That would be a nice virtuous cycle.

More free beer at pub clubs might be the next step? Sadly, no more Fred there.

I'm for free beer!  Who is buying???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JasonG said:

I'll add a plug for the TR search page that it sounds like you are developing.  I really like to read them all and it was handy having a page where they were displayed chronologically.

Same on some weird format issues on my browser (latest Firefox).  Look to be icons that are empty boxes.

Yes...both are these are high priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Water said:

1) thank you for the work. I know this is a labor of love.

2) would echo I find myself doing a lot of scrolling on the landing page. Think it needs a better layout, or to nest/collapse the sub-forums within the parent so it's cleaner up front.

3) also agree, my MO of accessing cc for the last 5 years has been a link to 'last 24hr'. On other forums there is an 'unread posts' link that will show you everything you haven't read since the last time you accessed the site (i think)...

4) cheers

 

1. Thank you! Yeah I don't get paid to do this, so it is indeed a labor of love!

2.  Here is how to "nest" or hide forums in a category.  If the navigation icon was showing that would probably be more evident!  We are working on that!

3.  We are looking into last 24 and last 24 spray free options....

4. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  Keep it coming!  

We are working on things,  with a priority on working out the kinks/bugs and then building back the TR stuff to what it was...and then everything else.

I tried to answer everyone.  We are working on things...that doesn't mean things will get fixed right away...but we will try to get it done soon!  And hearing people report these issues is big, because it lets us know what you guys care about and what bothers you the most.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×