[TR] Prusik Peak - West Ridge 6/3/2012

ryanl

Trip: Prusik Peak - West Ridge

Date: 6/3/2012

Trip Report:

Yesterday I made a resolution to become more comfortable with uncertainty throughout the day. I left my home in Seattle around 2 and was hiking towards Colchuck lake at 4:30. I couldn't make up my mind whether to ski or to climb, or to do both. The NW face of Colchuck looked prime to ski:

IMG_2060_800x533_.jpg

A group of 5 or so, and another of 2, were making their way up Colchuck Glacier by the time I arrived. Since I wanted part of neither company nor an audience, I set off towards Prusik. I managed to skin all the way up Asgaard without ski crampons, thinking the whole way up- "this might actually ski pretty well!"

I had a fun traverse to the base of Prusik where wind howled hard and clouds came and went. Precip threatened. Without a rope or harness I didn't want to get caught high up in a storm, so I sat and watched the weather for a bit:

IMG_2104_800x533_.jpg

Around noon I felt good enough about things to switch into rock shoes and begin the climb. What fun climbing! The opening crack made me feel good about things:

IMG_2115_800x533_.jpg

More Prusik

IMG_2112_800x533_.jpg

I climbed and down-climbed the first few sequences to gain confidence. Before I knew it I arrived at the slab pitch.

IMG_2109_800x533_.jpg

Here, circumstance provided a wonderful opportunity to savor uncertainty. I started and retreated several times. Then I stood where I was and focused on my breath. My heart rate slowed but became more powerful. I stretched my left foot out onto the face and breathed slowly while I transferred my weight. Then I reached for a nubbin', then the crest, moved my feet, then the jug. No use practicing the down-climb now. I was in it.

At the final summit block I missed the squeeze chimney (probably because I wanted to) and headed further left. When I topped out below the summit I realized my mistake and retraced my steps. I stood staring at the chimney for a few minutes and again slowed my breathing. That's all it took.

On the summit I couldn't relax too much for fear that my terrible memory would betray me. That, and my adrenaline was flowing. Still, the top of Prusik is a pretty spectacular place to have to one's self. I made sure to appreciate it.

IMG_2108_800x533_.jpg

I think I enjoyed the down climb more than the climb. At each step-- I think steps better describe the climbing than pitches-- I would stand and stare at the moves before turning around and lowering myself over the ledge. It was sort of like a game in which you try to re-enact in reverse order the movements of someone you watched doing something.

I hardly hesitated at the slab pitch. It felt much easier going down than up. Still, once I finished it a rush of.....something came over me that I can still feel. I think it took me 2 hours total base to base.

By then the clouds had broken and I had breaks of blue sky to backlight my smiles.

IMG_2118_800x533_.jpg

It didn't take very long to skin back to Asgaard where the firm snow of the morning had softened into a pleasant variety of corn. Big sweeping turns made a perfect dessert.

I climbed the West ridge and the Burgner-Stanley last summer. SO MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE not having to hike the whole way out! Good climbing AND good skiing in the same day?! I love Washington.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic