Alpinist 1

Alex

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the big feature on (yawn) desert spire climbing... But I still bought a copy and have reread it several times!

Dru -Agree on the desert spire article...boring. But I think they were creative about using a removable wood rap device so they could still put up new routes. shocked.gif Sounds like you enjoy the mag even though you're so critical of it. All mags have their good and bad points. This one is the best of the lot in my opinion.

For anyone in the Seattle area Second Ascent is selling the mag for below cover price. I think I paid $10.95 for it. bigdrink.gif

I think they should be given some credit for the Tackle and Fowler articles and Changabang profile. And for launching a magazine in a pretty crappy economic climate.

Sure, I'm not wild about desert climbing either but it's more in keeping with the magazine's niche than say a feature on bouldering at Bishop (this is not a value judgement on either of these activities, simply a statement about how they fit with what I perceive to be Alpinist's readership).

cavey,

i loved your first definition of alpine-

"cool as fuck, where no cars can drive to, little or no trees and other vegetation grows and sometimes above a glacier." superpoetic, cave!

great picture in Alpinist #1, inside first page, the climber 'at bivouac' in the mountain hardware tent and the XGK stove on Denali.

Extreme grovelling.

It's pretty glossy and expensive, most mags start out as free rags, except in big bucks publishbing world, but this mag still breaks the mold, it's more like a trade magazine price, but without all the trade ads you'd expect in such a pricey periodical.

Edited by Beck

Hey Climber Loozers!

I havent seen any money yet. Yoo tuf guys want to see the furst ishoo of "Kragginn Korral", I strongley sujjest that yoo start sending me those five dollers. And if yoo think yoo can sit in the bookstor and reed it for free like that stoopid Alpnist magazeen, forget it because I'v got a plan where I'll bee delivring it to your house whil I'm on my paper root.

carrot.jpg

Rheinhold the master alpanizt.